What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestThornhill

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Infamous by Sherrilyn Kenyon and The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan. Actually I'm reading The Lost Hero with my son, Spawn. He didn't really like the Harry Potter books, but he is enjoying the Percy Jackson series.

Cai

fish biscuit
Registered
Reaction score
I'm re-reading Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley. So great, I love it. :)

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading @cross th3 Univ3rs3 by B3th R3vis. I think I am the last person to read this book LOL! I also just read M@tch3d and wasn't in love, sigh.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished In Darkness, which really rocked my socks off. It's about a street kid in Haiti trapped in the rubble after the big earthquake, and also about Toussaint L'Ouverture, the slave/general who freed Haiti back in Napoleonic times. WOW. Super powerful stuff, and all based in extremely grim reality. I wish adults would go out en masse and read stuff like this and not massively-marketed slops. Pardon my ranting. Anyway, not for the faint of heart, but an excellent read.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I've just started ASHES by Ilsa J Bick. It's quite exposition heavy in the first couple of chapters (plenty of conversations that have echoes of "as you know") and she uses the device of leaving every chapter on a cliffhanger to keep you reading on, which is a pet peeve of mine (purely because it suggests lack of belief in the ability of the writing to engross) but now that the inciting event has happened it's starting to pick up. Although I could quite happily see the 8 year girl whacked. Soon.

MM

Cai

fish biscuit
Registered
Reaction score
One of my favorite books of all time. :Thumbs:
Yes! One of my favorites as well. I already finished it. The writing is so compelling.

Now I'm waiting for Holly Black's Black Heart to arrive. I'm really excited about it.

Reve

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight - absolutely loved it! I can't believe it skipped my radar and I didn't find out about it last week XD.

I have Cinder opened on the Kobo right now, so that'll be next :).

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished three at about the same time:

Anna Dressed in Blood — Probably the first paranormal romance I've enjoyed (if it counts!). Bits were actually scary. Had some issues, but I'll read the sequel.

Pure (this isn't being sold as YA, but the characters are teens and it's postapocalyptic/dystopian, so everyone seems to see it that way) — Loved it at the beginning. Hated it by the end. The setting was amazing; the characters and their motivations were way too flimsy for me.

The Fault in Our Stars — I seldom cry at sad books/movies. This had me sobbing for hours. I read it to see what the hype was about. Now I get it. I can see why some readers might not relate to the characters — they're smart-ass, cynical, ridiculously articulate. (I remember wanting to talk that way when I was a teen, not actually doing it.) But it bowled me over.

JeffRen

Registered
Reaction score
Just read The Enemy by Charlie Higsin...pretty good

Cai

fish biscuit
Registered
Reaction score
Finally started Black Heart. I'm a few pages in and it's great so far. :)

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I've almost finished ASHES by Ilsa J Bick and it's left me completely underwhelmed. This is mainly because the 8 year old girl character is utterly annoying - stubborn and stupid - every bad decision in the book revolves around or is instigated by her but also because it's overwritten for my taste and the foreshadowing is really heavy handed. There are some good ideas here - notably the idea of super senses - but the final quarter revolves around a quasi religious community, which I've seen done too many times before.

Not sure what I'm going to read next.

MM

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
The Disenchantments by Nina LaCour - great male POV and fun.

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
I'm halfway through Pure by Julianna Baggott and really impressed so far. It's about a girl with a doll's head for a hand. And it just gets stranger and more fantastic from there. One of those books that makes me feel horrendously unimaginative in comparison.

Niiicola

Twitchy
Registered
Reaction score
Pure (this isn't being sold as YA, but the characters are teens and it's postapocalyptic/dystopian, so everyone seems to see it that way) — Loved it at the beginning. Hated it by the end. The setting was amazing; the characters and their motivations were way too flimsy for me.
Crap! I'm only halfway through and really liking it so far. We'll see about the ending, I guess ;)

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
All right, after a long time of being a super-slacker reader, I've made it my goal to fix it by reading 100 books this year, starting at the end of...February. I've read 12 since, all but 2 of which have been YA.

So, Life as We Knew It...loved it, but it scared me endlessly. The Frog Princess (E.D. Baker), a really cute, light read. Felt more MG to me, but I guess the slight romance is what made it YA.

The Scorpio Races...officially one of my favorite books ever, which I expected, since Ballad is also one of my favorite books ever. After that came Ring of Solomon, which was just as good as every other Bartimaeus novel. Then Unbecoming of Mara Dyer, which I liked until the last few chapters, but I do intend to read the sequel.

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making...this one was very Narnia-esque, I think, and I loved it and can't wait for the sequel.

The Space Between was, in my opinion, a million times stronger than Brenna's first book (The Replacement, if anyone doesn't know that). Then came Flora Segunda--again, very MG, very creative, loved it and want the sequel like NOW.

Just this morning I finished Daughter of Smoke and Bone. I liked it a lot until the end, which made me declare that I will not under any circumstances be reading the sequel unless someone tells me that (highlight for spoilery content) Brimstone has magically been brought back to life.

Now I'm going for a nice change of pace with some contemporary, tackling Like Mandarin.

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH by our very own Bethany Griffin and it was stunning. I greatly recommend it.

Moving on to THE SELECTION by Kiera Cass.

ambie_dog

Registered
Reaction score
I've almost finished ASHES by Ilsa J Bick and it's left me completely underwhelmed. This is mainly because the 8 year old girl character is utterly annoying - stubborn and stupid - every bad decision in the book revolves around or is instigated by her but also because it's overwritten for my taste and the foreshadowing is really heavy handed. There are some good ideas here - notably the idea of super senses - but the final quarter revolves around a quasi religious community, which I've seen done too many times before.

Not sure what I'm going to read next.

MM

I just finished reading that book today. I enjoyed it until it got religious, and I wasn't satisfied with the ending.
You're right about the little girl. She got on my nerves.

Status
Not open for further replies.