Difficulty connecting with agent

arhooley

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I've looked back a few pages and I can't find this topic.

I was thrilled to snag a hungry young thing at a powerful agency for a book I wrote some time ago. But it didn't sell, and the young agent left the agency and quit agenting! (I think she went for theater since that's what she was always tweeting about.)

That left me in the hands of another more senior agent, who said he'd be glad to read anything of mine any time. I told him I was in fact working on something new, and I sent him that book when it was done (a few months later). After six weeks of silence, I sort of couldn't stand it and I wrote to him and asked very politely how it was going.

He apologized profusely -- stuff going on at the agency, busy hiring someone new, etc. -- and proposed a phone call appointment. He missed the appointment. More e-mails, he proposed another appointment. He missed that one. I've only called twice in this time, after his missed appointments, to make sure I hadn't missed him. Yesterday I called and left a message that it was fine with me if he wanted to step back from this book; all he has to do is shoot me an e-mail and I'll move on. I haven't heard back yet.

The time-frame for these two blow-offs is three weeks; he originally responded to me with a phone call proposal on May 24 and it's now June 13. One of these weeks was the BEA, so he's got an extenuating circumstance, but I'm still concerned. He inherited me from another agent and my first project didn't sell, so maybe he'd really rather not work with me. I'm okay with that, but I just need to know. And it's odd, he's got such stellar listings in Publishers Marketplace! Anyone else ever get put off like this on a phone convo or have such difficulty connecting?

Thanks for reading my story!

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to be blunt. Yes, agents are busy. Yes, it's a busy time for agents after BEA. But the truth is, I just don't think he's enthusiastic about your work. It's less the 6 weeks to read your MS thing cos that can take time (though he ought to have acknowledged getting it at least which I gather he didn't). But to miss arranged phone calls and not get back to your emails is not normal behaviour for an enthusiastic agent. It should be less 'hey, you can step back if you want, Mr Agent' and more 'if you want to keep me as a client, please try harder'.

If you'd still like to keep him as your agent, I'd email saying due to lack of communications and missed phone calls, you're assuming his enthusiasm for your work isn't at the level you'd hope for. You'd like to arrange a phone call with him or hear from him by the end of next week by return of your email. If you hear nothing by end of next week, you'll presume it's time you looked for another agent. If you hear nothing, send an official email saying things are over then look for another agent once your notice period is out with your MS. If he does get in touch and use the 'sooooo busy' excuse, fine but the proof needs to be in the pudding: he needs to show you he's enthusiastic by reading your MS in a good time frame and responding to your emails quickly.

From my own experience, I suspect you'll be looking for a new agent in a few weeks. I did that and my new agent is a complete breath of fresh air, quickly responding to emails, acknowledging when I send work, sending detailed notes to that week within 2-3 weeks... I now don't get why I put up with my former agent's laissez-faire attitude for so long.

Good luck!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, ar, that sucks. I agree with Trixie that one more attempt to communicate is in order. Myself I would be more direct: I'd state right out in an email that I'm assuming it's time to move on and then, if a truly satisfactory response doesn't happen really quickly, do so.--Assuming you don't have a contract? If you do, you may need to send a registered letter or something and possibly wait a certain number of days/months. Check your terms.

I wouldn't mind the fact that he was busy, but those phone call blow-offs would get me. You deserve better.

arhooley

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Thank you all for weighing in!

You have given me much to think about. I will be laboriously composing something tactful yet businesslike this weekend. It will be a tricky project, as the agent in question is always so sweet, accommodating, and knowledgeable on those occasions when I do manage to talk to him. Yes, I know it's my career, but he's so darn nice. It reminds me of a friend of mine who's very lazy with paperwork. Yesterday she found a bill that was hugely overdue, and she flew into a panic and paid it online. It's not that she's a deadbeat; she just has a certain attitude to those tasks. I wonder if my agent loves to deal with editors, the heat of negotiations, the industry side of things, but isn't so much into writers? A friend of mine, on the other hand, has an agent who always responds instantly -- and he's rude and indifferent! We can't decide who has it better/worse.

But you've all convinced me that I do need to take certain steps, and I most certainly will. Trixielox, your experience is very heartening. I'm glad you found an agent who suits you.

Again, thanks for your patience and your contributions.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, ar, and keep us posted! I hope you get the best possible outcome.

Tiarnan_Ceinders

Registered
Reaction score
I just listened to a speech by Neil Gaiman, in which he said a freelance writer needs three things to be successful.

1) Good writing
2) Be easy and nice to work with
3) Be on time

And often you can get away with just two of those qualities. You can be a dick if your work is on time and it's good. It can be late if you're a pleasure to work with and the work is good. And you don't have to be a great writer if it's always on time and they love to hear from you.

This seems to be true for agents as well. :)

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I'd consider this: If you have no contractual obligation to remain with the agency, write the agent to say that you'd love for him to rep the book and would be glad to leave it with him until he's free to look at it, but that you will (at the end of any previously agreed upon exclusive time or else two weeks) begin querying the novel to other agents.

His time is valuable, but, hey, so is yours. And most valuable -- indeed, invaluable -- is an enthusiastic agent.

arhooley

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Since you wanted me to keep you posted, folks, here's what just happened (late Friday):

I got an e-mail from him. He says he's not 100% sure they're the right agents for the book (very true since they inherited me from an agent who's left, and they don't have any sales of my type of book) --

And that's where I'd say he means "The book isn't good enough" --

BUT -- he'd like to talk to me about it (punchline: another phone call appointment for next week). This takes my puzzlement on a whole new turn.

I see three possibilities.

1. I guess -- hope -- he wants to refer me to an agent who would be a better fit. Preferably a powerhouse agent, wouldn't hurt y'know.
  2. Or possibly he wants to close the relationship off with an actual phone conversation so as to be polite, an e-mail brushoff being too impersonal.
  3. The other possibility is that he'll tell me the book needs a lot of work and he'll give me a general suggestion for improvement and a "We wish you the best in your literary endeavors."
Anyway, thanks again all for your suggestions. Presumably we'll know by next Tuesday or Wednesday, but if anyone wants to weigh in with an opinion on what I should expect, please feel free. Frankly, I could use the hand-holding, spine-bracing, whatever.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Or,

#4. while this story may not be right for the agency, he may feel your writing is good and wants to know what else you have. This has happened in the past to other authors I know. So be prepared to pitch any other work you have. Stay friendly because you never know...

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:Shrug: I dunno what he'll say but I'm here to hold your hand. :Hug2:

(This must be frustrating. I'd be pulling out my hair. A little bit. At least.)

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Ugh. Sounds to me like you might be agentless, but I think that's better than having an agent who's not enthusiastic. But thoth is right - stay cool, polite, and professional.

Remember: you got an agent once. You can do it again.

arhooley

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Okay, here's the update.

You will recall, the agent e-mailed me that we should talk "Tuesday or Wednesday." So yesterday (Tuesday) I called him and left a message. I resolved that that would be my last-ever call to him no matter what. He didn't call back or e-mail me. Radio silence from him today (Wednesday).

I feel very relieved, as I now feel free to pursue other agents. In fact, I have two referrals to two very good agents who expressed interest in repping me in the past. I've picked the one I like better and I intend to offer him an exclusive; if he doesn't want it then I'll offer the other agent an exclusive, and if she doesn't want it then I'll go wide.

I read my contract with lawyer-glasses and I have no obligations to the agent on this project.

Here's my final (for now) question. I really don't want to reach out to this agent ever again, not even to say "I'm seeking representation elsewhere. Let's call this an amicable parting." Do I need to do that, however? I'd just like to consider his silence my permission to proceed. My reasons are lousy, I admit -- mainly that the agent is a nice guy and a negligent agent for me and I prefer to avoid unpleasantness, even polite unpleasantness. On the other hand, it may be plain old courtesy for me to at least tell him what I'm doing?

What do you say? Do I e-mail him and then approach my next agent, or do I just go ahead and let him catch up with me if/when he ever gets around to fishing me up from the bottom of his to-do list?

KalenO

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.houseofegoandmadness.blogspot.com
As much as I sympathize with your reasons, I think its better to take the high road and send a brief but official termination email. It's just the safest way to avoid any repercussions down the road, and no need to burn bridges if you don't have to. You have the moral high ground here, you've done nothing wrong and have nothing to feel guilty about, so if there's any unpleasantness forthcoming, its all on him, nothing you need to worry about.

Just send a short, quick missive that doesn't require a response, and chances are that given his lack of responsiveness so far, he'll be happy to take any excuse not to respond to this one either, and you'll still have an 'official termination notice' for your records, if he feels the need to complain once you've found a new agent and sold your book for six figures.

"While I understand you're very busy, I have to look to my own career and have no choice but to assume our inability to connect these past few weeks means its best for both of us if I seek representation elsewhere. Thank you for your consideration and all the best to you and your clients."

Something like that, except, you know...better! But you get the idea!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Ar, do you have a contract with him? If not, I think you're free to pursue other agents. Certainly you've made the effort to straighten things out.

If it were me, I'd send the "amicable parting" email, leaving it close-ended, not inviting further communication. I'd make it truly amicable, thank him for his time, etc., but it's ovah. It just seems like the right thing to do. But I don't think you're absolutely locked into it.

If there is a contract (it sounds like there isn't), that's another story and involved registered letters and a wait time (depending on what the contract states).

In any case, good luck with the new agents! I'm glad you're not crushed about this one. Forward!

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
Always take the high road. Always part amicably. You never know who he knows.

arhooley

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Thank you, guys, for affirming what the little angel-arhooley on my shoulder is telling me.

KalenO, that's a great start. I've been agonizing over how not to sound all flouncy with the agent, and your way of putting it is quite nice.

ETA: SENT! He'll have it first thing tomorrow morning. I've done the right thing.

Last edited: