What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emma_kate

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, they're really milking that cash cow. They need to stretch it to at least the last movie. How else are they going to keep the buzz going until then? But you'd think she's write a short on Loch Ness or something. Not a barely-there background character. Maybe she'll get desperate and release that Midnight Sun (is that the name of it?) book she pitched a fit over it being leaked.

AGREED! Some US magazine asked the author; "Why do you think its important that readers should read this before Eclipse comes out?"

She said something about perspectives when in reality I was thinking, you're on the money-making bandwagon. Admit it. I mean, I guess some wouldn't blame her, but it saddens me when people pump out crap just for money. What happened to writing because you love it? Just my opinion

Twilight fans have loved it, though :)

Last edited:

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
DonnaDuck:
In Clockwork Angel, I'm seeing a lot of excessive descriptions of things, people, clothes. I'm not getting much trust.

That's a shame. Oh well. I suppose I'll just borrow it from my mate then.

MM

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
I read How I Live Now by Meg Rosof (I know, I am behind in the times :)) which I liked a lot. I had previously read What I Was by her, and while I could see that her writing was fab (with some crush-worthy sentences), I didn't particularly love the book, you know? I gave it to my library, but I'll be keeping How I Live Now. It very much reminded me of Life As We knew It.

And just finished The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han. Which was a seamless read and different to what I expected, but I was really in the mood for some light contemporary YA so I enjoyed it. A lot :) And will be looking forward to reading the sequel :)

Happy reading everyone :D

Shadow_Bee

Meddling with the Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talkmusebanter.blogspot.com
I read How I Live Now by Meg Rosof (I know, I am behind in the times :)) which I liked a lot. I had previously read What I Was by her, and while I could see that her writing was fab (with some crush-worthy sentences), I didn't particularly love the book, you know? I gave it to my library, but I'll be keeping How I Live Now. It very much reminded me of Life As We knew It.

And just finished The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han. Which was a seamless read and different to what I expected, but I was really in the mood for some light contemporary YA so I enjoyed it. A lot :) And will be looking forward to reading the sequel :)

I loved How I Live Now. Meg Rosoff has a way with words. The voice was spot on and so amusing, I just had to read on.
Also, I'm ordering The Summer I Turned Pretty 'cos I'm in the mood for some summer read!
Right now, I'll be starting Lucy Jago's Montacute House, which has a very interesting premise. I'm not big on historical, but this one sure caught my eye.

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score

I'm a HUGE fan of Meg Rosoff. But I didn't fall in love with What I Was, either. The prose was freaking brilliant (because it's Meg Rosoff), but I felt that the story was kind of weird. Like, I was really into right until the end and then I felt completely robbed.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading an ARC of A Most Improper Magick by Stephanie Burgis, which isn't out until August (and I say this only to gloat). It's probably more MG than YA, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it - it's Jane Austen meets Diana Wyn Jones, set in Regency England and following a 12 year old girl who learns magic, encounters highwaymen and must stop her eldest sister from marrying a homicidal old man to preserve the family fortune and stop her brother going to debtor's prison. Great fun.

MM

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
Well just an update...
Finished The Second Short Life of Bree Tanner today... Really... it was kind of a waste of time. The story, although, not bad -but not great either, really was pointless. You don't learning anything you don't already know and of course, who really cares about someone who only spent less then five minutes of face time in the Saga.
Really just a fluff peice to make more money and I have a feeling it won't be the last. I really think she should just finish Midnight Sun, make some more money and call it good when the last movie is out.

emma_kate

Registered
Reaction score
Finished Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead. I really loved it - way more than I thought I would. But it took me a little to get into...but when Dimitri was in it, I was like WOW and devoured the rest. I really, really like how she pulled off his character in this book - without spoiling anything, she just did it PERFECTLY...his actions were totally justified after everything.

*zips lips*

Anyway, onto Perfect You because as I told my sister "The guy's name is Will, they make out, and they stay together". (I really love the name Will).

:roll:I am so sad :p

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
Well since I finished a book today, and had some spare cash I treated myself with a trip to the local Chapters (suppose that word right there shows I'm Canadian lol) anyways I bought Captivate by Carrie Jones. I read Need awhile ago, it was alright, but I have an obsession with finishing series. So that's next on my list.
I also bought Sex and the City by Candace Bushnell, I know it's not YA but that's also the next book on my list... are you allowed to read more then one book at once? Seem kinda like a no-no, I've never done it before lol

AkepLeigh

Registered
Reaction score
Just bought Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen - because I'm traveling tomorrow and I have a deep fear of being without a book on a plane - and it was the longest easy read I could find! The fact that I adore Sarah Dessen has nothing to do with it of course :)

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
I'm reading Julie Kagawa's novella Winter Passage in between Clockwork Angel. I've heard wonderful things about The Iron King and this is supposed to be a short between the first and second books but I'm just not feeling it. The words are good, the story's decent, but I don't feel involved.

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
Also, just finished reading Jekel Loves Hyde. Right around the middle of the book, I was getting very annoyed with it, thinking how it was so predictable and I knew exactly where it was going... And then all of a sudden the plot did a 180 and I was like "whoa, what?" So, loved that :D Speaking of darker subject matter, I really like how this book delved into that unashamedly.

I'm reading Jekel loves Hyde right now and liking it :)

Will check in with my verdict when I'm done ;)

mickeyDs4

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.disneygeekwriter.blogspot.com
Just bought Lock and Key by Sarah Dessen - because I'm traveling tomorrow and I have a deep fear of being without a book on a plane - and it was the longest easy read I could find! The fact that I adore Sarah Dessen has nothing to do with it of course :)

I own every Sarah Dessen novel. I love Lock and Key, Just Listen and The Truth About Forever. She is amazing at capturing the inbetween teenager and adult voice.

Leanan-Sidhe

leaving trails of fairy dust
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Bleeding Violet by Dia Reeves. Dark, weird, and very good.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
An impulse read from the library - Anne Cassidy's Guilt Trip.

I had previously read her novel Looking for JJ and had problems with it. It certainly dealt with a touchy subject - a teenage girl convicted for the murder of another girl and now released from prison under a new identity...but conscious that people are trying to track her down. For reasons I can't go into without massive plot spoilers, I thought the novel fudged dealing with its own premise, and was manipulative as well.

Guilt Trip deals with a death - that of a suicidal teenager two years ago, and the three others who know what happened to him. It's written from the viewpoint of one of them, Alison, a straight-A student hoping to go to Cambridge, in third person, and with two timelines - "Year Eleven" and "Year Thirteen", which are set in different fonts.

It's quite a short novel (about 50,000 words I'd say) and more interested in themes of guilt and reparation than the mystery (not much of one) and police investigation stuff - as the rather open ending indicates. It did hold my attention, but I thought the writing a little underpowered - most of the key events aren't initiated by Alison but by the others, so she's a protagonist who doesn't really protag for much of the story. Also, despite its "Teen" age band it seemed a little too coy for my liking, backing away from most hints that the characters might be having sex. Also, we are told several times that someone "swore" but there is no strong language in this book. (Even Fever Crumb, with its 10+ age band, had one "shit" in it.)

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
Halfway through Jandy Nelson's THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE. I'm loving it so far, but it's reached the point where one of the MC's choices will impact whether I continue to like her or not. It'll be interesting which way the choice will go and whether I'll want to smack her or not. :D

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
Ahh, vfury, me too! I'm loving it so far :)

Yay! I keep gushing to people at work about how much I'm enjoying it. So far, at least, the MC's decision is going the way I hoped it would, but there are still many pages to go. I just read some more during my lunch hour and wish I could go back to it. Think I'll sit down with it this evening while the World Cup is on. I need to know how it ends!

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished The Sky is Everywhere. It's one o'clock in the morning. It made me totally lose track of time, it's THAT good :D

Status
Not open for further replies.