Partial Page Loading, inconsistently

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Sites like metafilter, slashdot, wired always load completely in my Opera browser on outdated winXP hardware. Some pages here, sometimes, won't completely load at all or might load completely on a second or third try.

I've googled and googled and it seems all browsers have this problem for some people some of the time. They reinstall from scratch, fiddle with cache settings, spoof other browsers and it just goes on. I fixed my connection settings to use google's DNS, just in case, but pretty soon the problem returned.

Anyway. Since some sites never, so far, do this, I thought I'd bring up the issue in case AW's geeks care to investigate.

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Because certain pages more regularly cause problems than others, whereas some sites are so far totally reliable, I got to wondering about their servers. Which led to further searching which eventually led to a suggestion that a cached version of a temporary (server) problem was the thing to play with next.

I cleared the browser history and retried newscientist.com and got a full page.

Deleted member 42

Yeah, that's a local cache problem and you're more likely to see it in Safari and Chrome, but it's possible anywhere.

Because of the way cache and browser history work, I'd suggest clearing both.

I note that I can actually see it happening for users on AW, so I tried first looking for a corrupt image on our server (it can present with the same problem) but then I noticed it being discussed on one of the Admin lists I'm on, and realized it's it's own issue.