A distant mini date

Status
Not open for further replies.

quianaa2001

Registered
Reaction score
My story is meant to be a 'fast' romance/relationship with a lot of problems and other things stemming from this.
So before the changes in my story the MC and the guy (after all the tension) meet up for dinner and decide to date. After this they go on their first 'date' and they do the deed once he takes her home. I want to stretch things out a bit in these edits I wanted to have the pair go on a little date before the date where they do the deed.

Things is I know I want the guy to be really distant and un-affectionate during this first date. Like he won't even hold her hand, which confuses her. But thing is I have no idea what they should do for this mini date. Any ideas or help? I'm drawing a blank.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
You could always have one of them reluctant to do the "dating" thing, or to call it dating. That in my recollection generally means lunch. If your story is set in a metro area, what about lunch at the planetarium? the art museum? in a park?

Also if memory serves, there was once (? still is) a dating service called "It's Just Lunch," the idea being informal and easy to step away from if he and she decide they're not a fit.

You may not end up doing so, but the above might get your imagination kickstarted.

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
These two are likely to have interests in common. They could pursue these in common. Maybe doing sports. Maybe working for the local food bank. Maybe doing research in a library. Maybe painting scenes for the junior school production of Music Man.

Their first interactions don't have to be a date and eating a meal across a table. They could be where there's lots going on, (that's easier to write maybe,) and it might be inappropriate for the MMC to hold the FMM's hand.

Last edited:

beckethm

Registered
Reaction score
These two are likely to have interests in common. They could pursue these in common. Maybe doing sports. Maybe working for the local food bank. Maybe doing research in a library. Maybe painting scenes for the junior school production of Music Man.

Their first interactions don't have to be a date and eating a meal across a table. They could be where there's lots going on, (that's easier to write maybe,) and it might be inappropriate for the MMC to hold the FMM's hand.

I was going to say something similar. It's hard to offer specific suggestions without knowing anything about the characters and setting, but I'd try to make this "mini-date" flow out of something the characters are already doing. Maybe they help a mutual friend move and decide to go out for a beer afterward, just the two of them. He tries to organize a study group for the night class they're both taking and she's the only one who shows up. She helps him pick out a birthday present for his niece and he buys her coffee to thank her.

If you're going for a scenario where he asks her out but she's not sure whether it's really a date, almost any kind of activity could work: movie, mini golf, book signing, gallery opening, bike ride, Renaissance Faire. It really comes down to how you phrase the invitation. ("Hey, I heard about this cool thing. Would you be interested in checking it out?" vs. "I'd really like to go out with you some time.")

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Based on the other comments, I'm not sure I understand the situation. First date is dinner, next is the minidate you want to add, then the date where they get deedly at the end?

If so, what about they have a chance to meet for a quick lunch or afternoon coffee? In that situation, he could say he's distracted by his work day and not as attentive as he was during the dinner.

Incidentally, as a single guy in his 40s who's getting back into dating, I would be 50/50 about public affection on a minidate that was our second meeting. This depends, of course, on how the first date went. If there was PDA on the first date, then yeah, on the minidate it would be expected. If not, then I wouldn't necessarily expect it on the minidate and would be surprised if my date was upset that there wasn't any unless she initiated and I refused. Complicated? Welcome to dating! :)

Sonsofthepharaohs

Still writing the ancient Egyptian tetralogy
Registered
Reaction score
Could the mini date not really be a date, but more of an accidental meeting that turns into a date by any other name? It would be a good way to get plot stuff or characterisation in there as well, because you can use it to reveal more about them. Maybe he is doing something he doesn't want her to know about, like... I dunno, something that he likes to keep private, visiting a sick relative or taking out his sisters kids because she's going through a messy divorce and they're fighting all the time. The FMC could see him with kids and get the wrong idea, is about to run a mile but then hears them calling him uncle and decides to say hi. They then ask if she can get icecream with them. Not a date, but interaction that develops their relationship.

Or yanno... something else that suits your characters, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.