Anne Rice...

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't like IwtV at all. All Louis did was WHINE WHINE WHINE. It was really annoying. My favorite book of hers was The Vampire Lestat. Her narrative voice in that book was fantastic.

Ditto, so much better imo. :)

Hesperides

Bloody love
Registered
Reaction score
I liked Tale of the Body Thief. Vampire experiencing mortal life... Interesting concept.

I must say - when I came into AW today, I freaked the hell out!

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Yes, I'm resurrecting this thread. I honestly cannot believe I've been here as long as I have without seeking it out and posting.

I admit, I love me some Anne Rice. I know she's an egotistical maniac, but I can't help it. If there's one thing she does well, it's to create an immursive novel. Queen of the Damned was the quintessenial bad movie adaption of a book. It was everything I hate about Hollywood. They jazzed everything up for the short attentioned spanned and basically eliminated any plot points that would have been hard to explain. Interview really wasn't too bad, but QotD was downright soul crushing.

Soul crushing. That is a perfect way of explaining that abortion they tried to shove down our throats as a movie. My husband and I waited for that thing to come out (we are both huge fans), and almost walked out 15 minutes into it. Wished we had afterward.

I'm sorry, I'm just not getting it. How does the author's Catholicism retrospectively make her vampires less vampy?

I'm wondering this as well. I chose not to read the stuff she wrote after her "reawakening", but it didn't lessen my love of the stories that came before.

And really, I couldn't care less what she says the books are about. I know what they mean TO ME*, and that's all that really matters. And for the record, I plan to pass all of my beaten up AR paperbacks to my Daughter Claudia as soon as she shows any interest in reading "grown up" novels ;)

* I've always interpreted the Vamp Chronicle vampires as a lens through which I'm reminded how fascinating and precious we humans, as a species, are. Call me cheesy, but I need to be "told" how wonderful and short life is every so often when I feel like its just a big trough of crap.

ETA: Anyone read The Wolf Gift? I pre-ordered it for my Kindle, and am sad that I just wasn't able to get into it. I don't think I made it through the first chapter :/

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read Interview as a youth and loved it. Read it again as an adult and wondered why everything was glittering. The wet streets glitter, eyes glitter, hair glitters, glittering glitter glitters. I think I know what gave a certain other Vampire writer an idea about glittering vampires.

LongWave

Registered
Reaction score
ETA: Anyone read The Wolf Gift? I pre-ordered it for my Kindle, and am sad that I just wasn't able to get into it. I don't think I made it through the first chapter :/

I'm about 1/3 through Wolf Gift. I like it, but i'm not able to find a groove because i've been so busy lately. The first 1/3 seems a bit slow, but I feel it starting to pick up.

btw, I'm a big Anne Rice fan. Read all the vampire books, but the MAyfair series -- Witching hour, Lasher, and Taltos, are my favorite.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Good to know that it picks up at some point, thanks :)

And I love love love the Mayfair Witches trilogy! The first book is just amazing, but I feel like it slides into the realm of the ridiculous by book three.

LongWave

Registered
Reaction score
I'm about 1/3 through Wolf Gift. I like it, but i'm not able to find a groove because i've been so busy lately. The first 1/3 seems a bit slow, but I feel it starting to pick up.

btw, I'm a big Anne Rice fan. Read all the vampire books, but the MAyfair series -- Witching hour, Lasher, and Taltos, are my favorite.

So, I put this book down for awhile...the middle simply wasnt that good. But I decided to finish it...finally.

Overall, it was Ok...some interesting stuff...but (spoiler), Anne Rice usually has a way of telling amazing backstory and origins to her immortals and creatures that have lived a long time...not this time. the back story of the original man-wolf was kinda lame. I wanted to like this so much, but its just "meh."

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I read Interview as a youth and loved it. Read it again as an adult and wondered why everything was glittering. The wet streets glitter, eyes glitter, hair glitters, glittering glitter glitters. I think I know what gave a certain other Vampire writer an idea about glittering vampires.

right! you don't have to wonder how fangirl got the notion to later glitter-up her vampires. Hmmm.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I think The Feast of All Saints is one of the most beautiful books ever written. It is Rice's Great Expectations. I've read it about 10 times and never tire of its utter and staggering beauty. It is her opus.

I was in love with the vampire chronicles about 10 years back, but have since tired of them. The Mayfair books were also great for a time...so thorough in their self-history.

Again: THE FEAST OF ALL SAINTS (Utter beauty...I can't say enough about it. I fall back to that old New Orleans era every time I read it and I have to be brutally hauled back to the present.) If you haven't read it, do so.

I still hold firm to this 2006 post I made. I re-read The Feast of All Saints once a year. It breaks my heart, it's so beautiful. Her best work, still.

LongWave

Registered
Reaction score
I still hold firm to this 2006 post I made. I re-read The Feast of All Saints once a year. It breaks my heart, it's so beautiful. Her best work, still.

Ive been meaning to give that one a shot, thanks for the reminder.

Inquisitive_Lass

Registered
Reaction score
Anne Rice is a favorite author of mine, I enjoy her early vampire chronicles, until I found them changing too much witout development but among the author's beliefs. Love Interview with the Vampire Through Tale of the Body Thief.