Deployed Navy Man Ordered to Appear in Custody Hearing

benluby

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The article I am going to link to has quite a bit of spin to it, imo. Because instead of just reporting the facts it is obvious the reporter is emotionally involved in the issue. Or at least pretending emotional involvement to sell the story. I would prefer it be an unbiased report. Not a source I would normally quote. But it does contain some additional information which I believe will answer some of the questions brought up in this thread. Like why the child was removed from the mother's custody. That's why I'm using it. I'll shower later.

The child was being abused by the mother's live in boyfriend. The father was on deployment when the call came in that his child was in foster care after CPS removed the child from the home, with bruises all over her body from the physical abuse, which her mother did nothing to stop. He had to get emergency leave to come home and get her out of foster care.

The youtube video mentioned in the article is worth watching, imo.

Sailor Dad Ordered To Be In Court For Custody Hearing

It is most telling that the father was granted full custody and the mother's rights removed. That doesn't normally happen in custody cases, unless there is evidence the mother is unfit. It is very hard for a dad to get residential custody, let alone full custody.

And, I have no good words for the judge in this case. None at all. As long as the child is being cared for properly, there is no reason in the world not to allow the dad a chance to appear in court. To not take his deployment into consideration and allow him time to return to the U.S. for the hearing is beyond cruel.

No way the woman deserves custody back. She's already obviously proven that she'll let the kid be abused to get what she thinks she wants, which is not a parents job.
And for the judge to do this? I hope the Navy lawyers do get involved. This needs to be stomped.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Rob brings up an interesting point about the issue of women who tend to serially enter abusive relationships - for all we know, the father could be one as well. [I'm not accusing him, just pointing out another possible dimension.]

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rob brings up an interesting point about the issue of women who tend to serially enter abusive relationships - for all we know, the father could be one as well. [I'm not accusing him, just pointing out another possible dimension.]
Or it could be the mother is a drug addict and that is why the father left her. [I'm not accusing her, just pointing out another possible dimension.]

I don't see how that type of speculation is helpful. People do marry genuinely nice people even if they have a propensity to get involved with scum. It is not guaranteed that a person who generally gets involved with abusive people will always get involved with abusive people.

Last edited:

vsrenard

Watching the Whales
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vanithasankaran.com
I'm not inclined to think that Mr. Hindes was abusive in that he was awarded permanent custody of his daughter.

I still want to wait to hear more details about the judge's reasoning and the disposition of the bio-mom's appeal but if the child was removed due to abuse from the boyfriend, then no, bio-mom has no place raising that child. At all.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
Or it could be the mother is a drug addict and that is why the father left her. [I'm not accusing her, just pointing out another possible dimension.]

I don't see how that type of speculation is helpful. People do marry genuinely nice people even if they have a propensity to get involved with scum. It is not guaranteed that a person who generally gets involved with abusive people will always get involved with abusive people.

No, not guaranteed - I didn't say it was, and I (tried to be) careful to say that I wasn't accusing the sailor. If, however, the judge has gotten that idea in her head for whatever reason, (say raised by the mother's attorney, or eta: maybe a feeling she has about the stepmother.) it might go towards explaining why she's being less than accommodating towards him. It could still be a false accusation by someone in the case and have an effect on proceedings.

Not justifying it - trying to understand.

Last edited:

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, not guaranteed - I didn't say it was, and I (tried to be) careful to say that I wasn't accusing the sailor. If, however, the judge has gotten that idea in her head for whatever reason, (say raised by the mother's attorney, or eta: maybe a feeling she has about the stepmother.) it might go towards explaining why she's being less than accommodating towards him. It could still be a false accusation by someone in the case and have an effect on proceedings.

Not justifying it - trying to understand.
I'm not sure it is going to be possible to understand the judge's reasoning, tbh. I have my own experience in a custody case, and sometimes the judge is just "out there". The judge hearing the case one day told us all to get out of his court room. Neither side was being unruly or nasty or anything. Then, once we were in the hall and the door closed, both sides' attorneys apologized for the judge's insane behavior and, as our attorney led us down the hallway away from her and her attorney, he said he didn't know what had happened and it never should have happened. There was no understanding the outburst by that judge. It made no sense. Perhaps it is so stressful they snap or something. I don't know.

But I do believe this judge is in the wrong from what she said regarding the child belonging with the mother if the father is not available considering her rights were removed. And she is wrong in not delaying proceedings so the father can show up in the court given he is in a sub in the middle of the ocean, unable to answer due to his military service.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure it is going to be possible to understand the judge's reasoning, tbh.

I have my own opinion of her reasoning, clearly, but this is a good point. There are many points of procedure that judges have authority over and they don't have to explain why they order them the way they do.

Doesn't alter my opinion, but I can see why others are much less certain.