misdirection or fair strategy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
So you're writing your novel, trying to ratchet up the tension midway through. Let's say your novel is about a wildfire. A fire fighter comes along to your POV character's house and bangs on the door, says, "You have to leave. The winds could shift and the fire could cut off the escape route from this neighborhood. So get out now."

Now, have you given an implicit promise to your reader that, yup, the winds will shift in a few pages and POV will be caught by the fire? Or can that threat simply spur on his movement, and then while on the way out of the neighborhood, the next complication happens to him, not the wind shift but something else?

I just read some craft article that said, in effect "you have to make the bad stuff happen that characters say might happen." But I thought of several objections/exceptions to that, and I wondered what you all might think of that "rule." (I know you'll say you hate rules, but how about this particular one?)

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Novels require the characters to go forward, and that means they must take action.

If the fireman's warning spurs your protagonist into action, then I don't think you necessarily need for the winds to shift. The warning accomplished its intended story purpose: It got the protagonist into motion.

If the character had chosen to not act on the warning, then I think you would need the winds to change, because that will cause a more immediate threat that will succeed in forcing the character into action.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Or you could have your character say, nah I don't think that's gonna happen and even if it does, I'm gonna protect my house with this here fire hose. (And yes, people really do this.)

And the whole neighborhood vacates except for this one guy and then the wind doesn't shift and because he's the only one still hanging around he witnesses....

What? Something. The tardis materializing. A freak meteor that lands in the center of town. A giant rodent burrowing up from under the cemetery. A sudden invasion of zombies. Or maybe the firefighter was a bad guy in disguise and simply used the fire as an excuse to get everyone out while he robbed the bank-the mansions on the street-or something else.

A story can go in any of a dozen different ways.

And I never heard of that rule, btw.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Or, have the firefighter say, "You have to get out! The wind might shift and you'll be trapped!"

The character doesn't get out, but while s/he's alone in the neighborhood a villain arrives, takes him/her hostage in his/her own home, and variously does villainous things.

The fire provides a reason no one comes looking for the character or notices s/he's missing, why no one just wanders in, and why there are no cars on the road to flag down.

The shifting wind is never mentioned again.

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
Or the fire turns out to be his father.

Directed by M. Night Shyamalan

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Or maybe the firefighter was a bad guy in disguise and simply used the fire as an excuse to get everyone out while he robbed the bank-the mansions on the street-or something else.

hey, I thought of that one, too. And I thought it was such an original thought. lol. Nothing ever is, is it?

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, you're all so creative. I also thought, okay, maybe he doesn't have a cell phone signal, and as he drives down the road, family photos stuffed into the trunk, he gets a signal, and it's his daughter/wife/concubine/partner in crime who's holding the million dollars in flammable cash, and a text message comes up, "Help, I'm trapped by the fire on the other side of Deadrock Canyon!" and he has to go tearing off to deal with that.

Without the fireman's warning though, he'd have never gotten the cell signal.

The other exception I thought of doesn't apply in the example I made up, but it'd be the neurotic/worrywart character. Just because Ma says, "your face will freeze that way" or "the fire could reach us here, fifty miles away!" doesn't mean that's going to happen. Or a neurotic neighbor comes over and says, "the fire's going to shift; I heard it on TV, we have to get out of here" and MC believes him.

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
(I know you'll say you hate rules, but how about this particular one?)

RULES ARE FOR BABIES *rides flaming motorcycle baryonyx*

:D (As long as it's somehow relevant to the plot.)

Maybe the fire is an illusion and the "fireman" is just trying to get the guy out of the house because it is sitting on his demonic evil altar that will release the zombie Kraken from hell and wake the werewolf sluts. And the man's presence is befouling because he is of a race that is part mermaid, the purest being there is, with angels next and ponies below that.

....DUN DUN DUUUUNNN

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
The fire is an illusion and the "fireman" is just trying to get the guy out of the house because it is sitting on his demonic evil altar that will release the zombie Kraken from hell and wake the werewolf sluts. And the man's presence is befouling because he is of a race that is part mermaid, the purest being there is, with angels next and ponies below that.

....DUN DUN DUUUUNNN

This is, of course, the correct answer. ;)

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
At some level, I feel novels should mirror life. Not every potential danger we hear about actually happens. As long as it doesn't seem out of left field, I think you should be fine.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
As proved by some of the other posts here, I don't think the "bad thing" that happens has to be what the character says need to happen. Whether that's a fire or anything else. However, I do think there has to be some kind of threat there, even if it's just the potential of a threat. There needs to be some kind of tensions or stakes.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe the fire is an illusion and the "fireman" is just trying to get the guy out of the house because it is sitting on his demonic evil altar that will release the zombie Kraken from hell and wake the werewolf sluts. And the man's presence is befouling because he is of a race that is part mermaid, the purest being there is, with angels next and ponies below that.

....DUN DUN DUUUUNNN
I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

And be prescribed the same medicine as you.

And read that book. Get going on it, please.

jeffo20

Tyrant King
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doubtingwriter.blogspot.com
A fire fighter comes along to your POV character's house and bangs on the door, says, "You have to leave. The winds could shift and the fire could cut off the escape route from this neighborhood. So get out now."
POV character: "I've got your fire right here." Wiggles hips suggestively.

victoriakmartin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriakmartin.com
And I never heard of that rule, btw.

The rule to me sounds a lot like it's been built from Chekhov's gun (warning: TVTropes link). And going with that, I think as long as it is somehow relevant to things that happen later, like the other suggestions here say, that it works.

It might even work better for the wind not to turn because people will be expecting it to once you've said the line. I'm actually a little sick of knowing that when someone says "oh, I hope the roof doesn't cave in" that, indeed, the roof will be caving in.

Mikael.

Registered
Reaction score
I think that as a reader, when something goes bang, you expect it to be Chekhov's gun.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
^ it made me laugh aloud, too, Stelle, and as a newbie, you might want to know, at the bottom left of each post, there's a row of three things: circle, an icon I have no idea what it is, and an exclamation mark. That center one (what IS it?) is a "rep point." when someone makes you laugh or think or cry or nod sagely, hit that sucker. It's a shame I could only hit it once for that one because I laughed and then thought about how accurate it was (I should go check on imdb and see if it's in production) and laughed a second time.
//derailing my own thread, which has not only been answered but entertained me several times

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
... have you given an implicit promise to your reader that, yup, the winds will shift in a few pages and POV will be caught by the fire?
... I just read some craft article that said, in effect "you have to make the bad stuff happen that characters say might happen."

That's kind of a silly rule, even in a craft that collects silly rules the way a ship collects barnacles.

There are three slightly related concepts worth considering:

-- You need real stakes.
If the agonizing journey to deliver a message turns out to be unnecessary; if she really didn't care about the boyfriend who cheated on her; or if the protagonist wakes up and it's all a dream ... the reader feels let down.
Peril or tension, once introduced, cannot later be trivialized. What the protagonist strives for must matter.

-- You need to shoot Chekov's gun.
Fiction is an organized world. Every detail is relevant. Your foreshadowing foreshadows something.

-- The worst possible thing happens.
If you go down into the mines of Moria, a balrog is gonna get you.

So, what about the "you have to make the bad stuff happen that characters say might happen" rule?

Random dialog doesn't telegraph future events. Not every walk-on postman and storeclerk is omniscient. The fictional world is full of the universally unexpected.

If a ranger comes by and warns about a fire, you have promised the reader the next hour will be full of tension and drama. Deliver drama. Do not let that tension dribble away.
But you have not promised the wind will shift.
Maybe some guy shoots the ranger. Maybe aliens land in Chapter Fourteen.

There's nothing wrong with misdirection. Mystery stories thrive on it.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
I think the point some of us are trying to make is that the firefighter moving everyone out of town serves as a sort of trope - it's a way to remove all the people from an area so...

Something nefarious-weird-mysterious-bad can happen ...

That is, if you want to play the story that way. It's like killing off the parents of the orphan who will then go on to have great adventures. It's a way of isolating one (or a few) people so there are no authorities, no parents, no one saying omg you can't do that!

But btw bad things can happen in a crowd, too. All my neighbors saw a kid climbing into a window of my house when I was gone - and ummm...nope, no one called the police. The kid was a relative, but just the same, no one knew who he was. And he shouldn't have done that and I'm upset with him and nm...derail...

My favorite isolate trope is - you stay right here where you'll be safe while I go search the cave-house-cellar-attic-spaceship-lighthouse.

Yep, right, okay.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
If a ranger comes by and warns about a fire, you have promised the reader the next hour will be full of tension and drama. Deliver drama. Do not let that tension dribble away.
But you have not promised the wind will shift.
Maybe some guy shoots the ranger. Maybe aliens land in Chapter Fourteen.

There's nothing wrong with misdirection. Mystery stories thrive on it.
Spot on.

There is also another silly rule: Three.

As in the rule of three.

Three little pigs.

Goldilocks and the three bears.

The first manifestation can be pure luck. The second crystallizes a pattern in the audience mind. The third one is where the character, having also recognized the pattern, chooses a different path.

Take for example the movie 'Twister' (co-written by Crichton) where the film begins with a tornado appearing out of nowhere and killing the main character's father. Then you have meteorologists commenting on the unpredictability of tornadoes. Then you have Crichton's trademarked sidekick-asks-silly-questions method, whereby the main character's girlfriend is explained how tornadoes work and how unpredictable they are. It all reinforces the Opponent's characteristics: unpredictable and devastating. So when Wichita is later hit, it's no surprise. And then you have the main character pair, having recognized a pattern, choose a different way to defeat the Opponent - by weighting down their instruments with a pickup truck.

Hope this helps.

-cb

Status
Not open for further replies.