/fangirlmoment

ETA: Tally, do you mean mixed race? :/

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
Thanks, Ally!

GRAWR my classmates are such ignorant entitled privileged brats.

I mean, I'm a privileged brat, but I admit it, and I don't think I'm entitled.

Like, in economics today, our teacher brought up the huge gap between the average income of a caucasian family and the average income of african-american and latino families ($100,000, $8000, and $7000 if you're wondering) and all my classmates are like "Well if they work hard they can get better, there was racism in the past but now it's up to them" and "well they bring it on themselves with their attitude and gangster clothes" and "well I hate when people talk about how more black people should get scholarships, that's not fair to the white kids who work hard".

I (verbally, unfortunately) ripped them all to pieces. With my teacher's help.

These kids piss me off so much some days. I hate really entitled people.

Like, yes, my parents worked very hard to be able to give me the life I had. But I have had to do practically nothing. I have never had to earn what I have, and I didn't have to work beyond getting decent grades to go to my school. And I KNOW that, and I'm grateful for it, but I know it isn't fair, and when these kids get all entitled and snotty and "well it shouldn't be our responsibility they brought it on themselves" I just want to smack them all.

Anyway, I'm about to get started trying to catch up in Chem.

:(

Well it's a good thing you said something. It's really sad people think like that. There are a lot of rich kids at my school but none of them are that snotty.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on a really... special island, in a class of 13 people.

Lisa- They are mostly mixed African-Native American, but have been for centuries and centuries so don't consider themselves of mixed race. There are 'black Caymanians' and 'white Caymanians', and a class divide between them in a lot of ways. My class is almost entirely 'white Caymanians'.

ETA: What I mean to say is, they are technically of mixed race, but do not think of themselves as such and consider themselves simply Caymanian. And therefore, I consider them simply Caymanian.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Some are your coloring! But they have features very distinctly separate from what we call 'black', 'white', 'asian' or 'latin american' features. Anyhow, they have deep pride in their Caymanian culture and background, and so I respect that and think of them as simply Caymanian.

'Black Caymanians' can have very, very dark skin! Though they are generally also of Jamaican descent.

But that doesn't matter, because if they tell me they are Caymanian, who am I to say any different?

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Ok now i have alot of questions about what you are taught in class. Are you talking about the income averages on the island or world wide. Because i like to consider my family middle class and my mom makes no where near $100,000 a year. She is also a single working mother so that might play into because they might be mixing incomes from both parents.

Snotty people piss me off. I go to a college ful of rich suburbia kids who never needed an after school job, have no idea what bills are, and are the most pompous assholes on the face of the earth. I learned that very quickly freshman year, when they asked where i was from, i said Philadelphia and they all gasped. ITS ONLY 20 mins away! Why is that so fucking shocking?

I'll never forget the one conversation i had. I told a girl i couldnt do our class project this one day because i had work.
Her:"Well God why do you need to work!"
Me: "Uh because i need to make money to pay to go to this overpriced school"
Her: (in snotty voice) "So you pay your own tuition? Isnt that what student loans and parents are for? Didnt you get the memo?"
Me: (already really pissed off) "Sorry i dont want to be in debt, and wouldnt make my single working mom pay for college for me." (although to be honest regardless of my wishes my mom and grandmom pays for most of it... thing is I will pay them back one day)
Her: "Oh your like poor then right?"
Me: (walks away)

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Thankfully, I've never had to deal with that sort of thing, despite going to school in a pretty well-off area.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
I literally have to do the MOST STUPID homework assignment in the history of man right now. For a class i have to take but is utter bullshit. I feel like i'm 5 again.

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
I really want to watch another episode of Game of Thrones, but I have so much homework to do it's insane.

A lady in my school's main office asked me if my last name was Stark. I almost had a really geeky moment in the middle of the office hehe.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Ok now i have alot of questions about what you are taught in class. Are you talking about the income averages on the island or world wide. Because i like to consider my family middle class and my mom makes no where near $100,000 a year. She is also a single working mother so that might play into because they might be mixing incomes from both parents.

Snotty people piss me off. I go to a college ful of rich suburbia kids who never needed an after school job, have no idea what bills are, and are the most pompous assholes on the face of the earth. I learned that very quickly freshman year, when they asked where i was from, i said Philadelphia and they all gasped. ITS ONLY 20 mins away! Why is that so fucking shocking?

I'll never forget the one conversation i had. I told a girl i couldnt do our class project this one day because i had work.
Her:"Well God why do you need to work!"
Me: "Uh because i need to make money to pay to go to this overpriced school"
Her: (in snotty voice) "So you pay your own tuition? Isnt that what student loans and parents are for? Didnt you get the memo?"
Me: (already really pissed off) "Sorry i dont want to be in debt, and wouldnt make my single working mom pay for college for me." (although to be honest regardless of my wishes my mom and grandmom pays for most of it... thing is I will pay them back one day)
Her: "Oh your like poor then right?"
Me: (walks away)

Heh, you would love Sherlockettes. It's about a teenage girl, Sophie, who gets a scholarship to the wealthiest school in her city, and has to deal with basically just that.

Along with solving crime and stuff.

I grew up in the second wealthiest part of Canada, and though we were far from the richest people there my family definitely has a lot of money. I am extremely fortunate. I know that my parents worked very hard to get this, but I also know that my parents had a lot of things going in their favor from the start and that people who have less money don't necessarily work any less hard. I also know that I have done absolutely, positively nothing to earn to be entitled to the life and family I have- I like to think that this the difference between me and a lot of my peers; many of them seem to think that they are somehow personally entitled to their fortune by virtue of who they are, whereas other people somehow are less worthy.

This is why I can't stand so many of my peers. Yes, we live privileged lives. That doesn't mean we should take it for granted.

ETA: Sorry, bit of an angry rant. I find it deplorable that this island has people with so much money- all of whom talk non-stop about their 'good Christian values'- are willing to let their fellow people, their own Caymanians, starve.

Last edited:

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
What's the assignment?

I had to draw a map to where I am volenteering for this class... in my case it literally down the street by two blocks.... So i'm like great this is awesome a line and two blocks! Cool i'm going to fail, so sorry i work two blocks away, although i really dont care its a completely bullshit class and everyone knows it.
I really want to watch another episode of Game of Thrones, but I have so much homework to do it's insane.

A lady in my school's main office asked me if my last name was Stark. I almost had a really geeky moment in the middle of the office hehe.
HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! I love Game of Thrones
Game of Thrones is amazing.

Agree 200%!!!

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
LOVE Game of Thrones. 'specially Sansa. She may be my favorite character of all time in anything, ever.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
heheheheheh!

Yeah dont know who I like most yet.... I love them all.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
The sad thing about Sansa is that most of her development in the books is internal, which doesn't translate that well to the screen.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Well, the deal with Sansa is that she starts out as an 11-year-old girl who just wants to be in a fairy tale, in a song. Which is a completely valid thing for an 11-year-old to wish for. Then she goes to King's Landing, and is given her song, but it is not quite as perfect as it seems. But she's eleven, and she wants this so much, and she ignores the warning signs surrounding Joffrey.

You have to remember, she's lived a very sheltered life, and the only example of a marriage she's ever seen was between her parents, who both grew to love each other. She's been raised to believe that marriage and love go hand in hand, so if she's marrying someone, that means she loves them and they love her.

A lot of people complain about her 'betraying' Arya when it comes to Nymeriah, when in fact, if Sansa had said "Arya's right, Joffrey's lying" it would have been her head Cersei was calling for, not Lady's.

And so she stays like this, innocent and daydreaming, until episode 8, when everything changes. I won't spoil it for you, but... by the end of episode 9, you may start to understand why I love Sansa so.