• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

How can I write from a woman's POV?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
!!!

Oh, wow. My face is fifteen shades of red right now. I didn't realize it was a quote from a character, I thought it was a quote from him, personally, as a script-writer and director.

Sorry.

FWIW, a friend of mine tossed this quote out on Facebook last year, and I ripped his head off before I remembered where it was from. And I own a copy of the film. :)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
!!!

Oh, wow. My face is fifteen shades of red right now. I didn't realize it was a quote from a character, I thought it was a quote from him, personally, as a script-writer and director.

Sorry.

Seriously, no worries. It totally wasn't called for for me to post it...it's just immediately what I thought of when I read the thread title. It's one of my favourite movies and I'm a bit of a movie quote obsessed person. No worries. I so totally do NOT believe any part of the quoted line. I'm insanely feminist (personist).

AndreF

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You're over-thinking this, and that's the easiest way to trip yourself up.

Women make up 50% of the population. If you find that the vast majority of your characters are male, yes, you should pay attention to that. You should question why that is.

There are situations where it makes sense to have a very skewed ratio of male-to-female characters. If your story takes place in an all-male prison, yes, your story is going to have almost all male characters, and that's fine.

If your story takes place in a gender-equal society in a neutral setting, the ratio should be about 1:1. If it's not, it's not a huge deal, but you should ask yourself why that is.

All right thanks for clearing that up. I did think that from time to time I would have too many of one or the other and try to keep it 1:1 and have a nice blend (provided of course it fits the setting like you said) but most of my stuff is a neutral setting.

Good thank you.

I'm sorry that many people who have asked this question before did so just to make their attack. That's lame and low.

For me when I ask by chance a similar question just keep in my mind that there aren't a lot of issues in the world I give a damn about. The few that I do give a damn about are slowly loosing my interest. Which means my questions aren't attacks won't be attacks and aren't trying to be offensive. I ask to seek knowledge. If I want a war then I go to the political arena. (It's a member only feature at another site ... lot's of wars there ... good ones too because each argument is well formed and educated...minus the occasional cuss words)

I ask these questions because I feel that I don't know enough about the situation to move forward comfortably.

I understand it's like touching a sensitive wound and for that I apologize for causing some agitation. So I can see where many of you are coming from and its all good.

What I have learned

• As far as personality goes there isn't a difference.
  • Don't describe women (from their POV) using the "man-gaze" (never knew that existed .. never done it either)
  • Avoid making any character flat...
  • Finish the story, find some patient women, and ask them to skim over it to point out things that need to be adjusted.
  • Depending on setting have a nice mix of male/female characters.
  • That most questions asked on AW turn out to be a sneak attack so be patient with responses and tread lightly.
  • I've also learned not to reheat hard boiled eggs in the microwave (seriously if you haven't done that you should. Well I learned that when I was 13 but it was something I learned. Seriously reheat them in the microwave and give them to the family to heat ... wear a raincoat and film the event.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
There was no criticism. The message was clear. 'Line in film bad. Do out use.

I don't hold this view. I grew up under a female prime minister, female head of state, mostly women teachers. I know what women can do, and I don't expect vitriol when I reference a film in context.

I think your omission of the rest of KTC's quote might have been what caused the confusion. Remember that not all members saw that film. I did, but it was something like 20 years ago now, and I had to think about that quote to realize it was from the film itself, and not something Jack Nicholson actually said about something he'd written. It wasn't clear to me that you understood this.

Again, sorry for assuming the worse.

I'm sorry that many people who have asked this question before did so just to make their attack. That's lame and low.

I don't think all, or even most, of the AW members who have asked this question before did so to be jerks. It was more the attitude, that women are an unknowable "other," or that we are women first and people second, that ruffles feathers.

Plugging the term "how to write female characters" and "how to write from a female pov" alone (and there are many other permutations of this search that will cough up more links) into the thread finder at the bottom of the site's main page yields

This

and This

So yeah, this question has come up a ton of times over the past year or so. To those of us of a female persuasion, it's a depressing reminder of how little exposure many men seem to have to our experiences as human beings. It's not fair to shoot the messenger, because I suspect a lot of the issue is the relative paucity of books and movies that have female leads that were actually written because, you know, women are half the human race and they do things and have experiences that are interesting to everyone just as much as men do. A woman growing up any time in the past 50 years has probably read tons of novels and seen many movies written from a male perspective, but guys can skim over the offerings by women because they tend to be "ghettoized" into marketing categories like "women's fiction," which scream "This isn't for you boys," or are plugged as "Chick Flicks."

And when women do write in genres that are aimed at everyone (like SFF), they often are overlooked by critics, other (male) authors in the genre, and even by bookstore owners.

Last edited:

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
!!!

Sorry.

Looking at the post that initially quoted the line, it's presented as if it's something Nicholson himself wrote for the movie. The poster even wrote 'BAD JACK'. So I don't see how anyone unfamiliar with the movie could know it was a character speaking, tbh.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
I understand it's like touching a sensitive wound

It's not like "touching a sensitive wound" for me, Andre. You'd have to do or say something much worse to have that effect on me.

But this is why I encouraged you in my last post to read books with a wide range of well-written characters, and why I'm still encouraging you to do so. Add "should read better books" to your list of things that you've learned, and in the long run, that can only help you.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
read books with a wide range of well-written characters, and why I'm still encouraging you to do so. Add "should read better books" to your list of things that you've learned, and in the long run, that can only help you.

Good advice. Bios on accomplished women are great too. E.g. Marie Curie, Sojourner Truth, Eleanor Roosevelt, etc. I make a point of reading such from time to time. Check your local library. A fine resource.

Status
Not open for further replies.