Status
Not open for further replies.

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
I'm only 5'1, and my FMC is only 5'0. I'm sure it's still possible. It's just hard for me to imagine myself tossing a 6 ft + guy when I'm so weak and scrawny. I could benefit from self-defense lessons.. Mustering up the courage to actually do it is the hard part. Do they even offer beginner's courses for adults? There's no way I'm getting tossed around by a bunch of kids.

One of the women I partner with is 4'11". She can handle those big guys, too. I promise, you could do it!

Most places will have separate classes for adults. Really, my Krav Maga place is 90 percent adult classes. Karate is big for kids because it's also about building discipline, etc. Also: Most beginners' classes have a majority of women, which is nice, too, for the first classes.

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
One of the women I partner with is 4'11". She can handle those big guys, too. I promise, you could do it!

Most places will have separate classes for adults. Really, my Krav Maga place is 90 percent adult classes. Karate is big for kids because it's also about building discipline, etc. Also: Most beginners' classes have a majority of women, which is nice, too, for the first classes.
I had a chance to start martial arts lessons once (can't remember which specific art it was) and I was going to do it... but then I stayed at home reading instead because at the time I wasn't in the mood to wear a bath robe and punch a plank of wood to death.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Cantina. I'm enjoying some candle making after a long day of being out in the cold. I was outside this morning trying to jump start my car with a friend for a total of an hour and a half in -5 F (with -30 wind chills). After being unable to get any juice I called the shop I'd gotten my battery from 2 years ago and found out I was 6 days away from the warranty expiring... meaning... I GOT A WHOLE NEW BATTERY FOR FREE! The guy came out 10 minutes after I called and had the new battery in within 10 minutes. No paperwork or questions. I am extremely impressed and thankful.

I'm making jasmine, sandalwood and vanilla candles right now and my apartment smells like a heavenly spa. After this I'll be making honey and beeswax lip balm with peppermint, eucalyptus, lemon, lavender and orange essential oils so it's only going to get more fragrant. :D

Sandalwood candles = Yay!
Free battery = YAY!
fricking cold weather = Boo!
Fighting with dead car in cold weather = BOO!

Black-Marlin

Avoiding cliches like the plague
Registered
Reaction score
Website
starlingford.wordpress.com
*raises an eyebrow*

I'm a student ambo. I challenge you to find something that makes me squeamish in regards to genitals.

Nastiest piece of first aid I ever had to perform: one of the guys had been watching too many Hollywood movies and put his Browning Hi-Power in the waistband of his trousers. Whereupon he immediately said a noisy and explosive farewell to his left testicle. Performing first aid on that was...well, just horrible, actually.

Didn't stop everyone whistling the Colonel Bogey March* the next time he showed up on parade, mind.

*The one they whistle in 'The Bridge on the River Kwai'. The one that, during WW2, was sung with the lyrics "Hitler has only got one ball..."

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I'm only 5'1, and my FMC is only 5'0. I'm sure it's still possible. It's just hard for me to imagine myself tossing a 6 ft + guy when I'm so weak and scrawny. I could benefit from self-defense lessons.. Mustering up the courage to actually do it is the hard part. Do they even offer beginner's courses for adults? There's no way I'm getting tossed around by a bunch of kids.

They definitely have classes for adults. They have classes aimed specifically at self-defense for women, though I've not taken those. Call around, you can find 'em.

And this whole story of mine is why a while ago here I asked if it's possible to have too much going on in one story. Right now I have the crew on the run from the law both for past offenses and for harboring prison escapees, one of said escapees on a quest for vengeance over what got him in prison to begin with, the crew taking on a "job" that goes incredibly wrong with your typical outlaw backstabbing, the captain on his own personal quest to prove that he's as good a captain as his older brother was, and on top of all that is the whole "growing potential for mutiny" drama and the growing relationship between the revenge-seeking fugitive and the captain... it feels like I have too much for one story here.

Meh, maybe I'll just write it and see what happens. *shrug*

Write it, I'll read it! I like the "too much still ain't enough" approach to writing, though I may be in the minority on that score. I'd rather read a story where there's too much happening, than the stuff I've been getting lately, which all taste like a novella or short that's been puffed full of air to make the novel-length word count.

Want examples of "too much still ain't enough" or "a beginner's guide to overplotting," try anything by James Clavell. My hand to God, you need a scorecard to keep track of every underhanded bit of plot happening on every page.

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Nastiest piece of first aid I ever had to perform: one of the guys had been watching too many Hollywood movies and put his Browning Hi-Power in the waistband of his trousers. Whereupon he immediately said a noisy and explosive farewell to his left testicle. Performing first aid on that was...well, just horrible, actually.
*sigh* I really hate hearing about testicles being injured. It makes me sad. :(

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Cantinafolk. I am backreading. Also, did I mention I watched Cabin in the Woods with a friend last weekend and it was amazing? I do feel like they got a little lazy toward the end, and it burns me up that Joss Whedon had any kind of involvement in anything I ended up liking, but other than that, EPIC.

And I have the bestest friends in the world, ever. She was all like, "I'm planning on doing some groceries tonight, want me to to drop you off?" and I was all like, "Umm... Can I follow you around the grocery store first? 'Cause I don't wanna be alone yet." And then she like pouncecuddled me and was all like, "Awww! All you have to do is say so" which is just like... The sweetest thing I have ever heard, 'cause previous friends used to make me feel like a pig if I wanted more affection/attention/interaction than I was getting.

I still don't quite believe it, I'm kind of like, "Whut? People who actually like being around me?! Unprecedented!"

CAMueller

Part-time ninja
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vampirebookclub.net
I had a chance to start martial arts lessons once (can't remember which specific art it was) and I was going to do it... but then I stayed at home reading instead because at the time I wasn't in the mood to wear a bath robe and punch a plank of wood to death.

Haha. That's the beauty of Krav Maga. We're street fighters. The only "martial art" that you wear shoes while practicing.

...it still isn't tempting, is it, RA?

Reservoir Angel

Registered
Reaction score
...it still isn't tempting, is it, RA?
Nope. I like to adopt a policy of non-violence. I just try to avoid fighting as much as possible, and if I end up in one I just insult them until they get bored of punching me. Seems to work okay, even if I still have a few scars to show for it.

lilyWhite

Love and Excitement
Registered
Reaction score
I still don't quite believe it, I'm kind of like, "Whut? People who actually like being around me?! Unprecedented!"

There's probably over a dozen precedents here. :D

Also, I'm thinking that food-not-agreeing-with-me thing might be the onset of a fever, or just a coincidence. Yippee!

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Because you adore Halifax, and would put down roots and grow leaves there if you could?

This is true, you've got me there. It's still reeeally cold for my tastes though.

It sucks to have to bend over to do the dishes.

It also sucks to have to stand on your tiptoes to do the dishes. And being too small for all the gym equipment isn't very good in the long term, either...

This is why I do not go into the Dong Garden or the Snatch Patch.

*shrugs* More fresh snatches for me.

:D

A friend of mine, same height as you, recently posted on Facebook about finding it difficult to find bras that fit. She was a 34D and has now lost weight and is a 32E. So what you say sounds feasible to me.

Ow. Wow, no matter how bad I have it, I now know someone has it worse finding (and keeping) bras than I do.

Naturally enough, in the aftermath my nickname was modified. To 'Actual Target'.

I am trying so hard not to laugh because holy crap you got shot in the head! and that is bad bad bad, but dude... Okay, I lose, I laughed.

In all seriousness, though, this probably doesn't mean the same thing coming from a Canadian, but dude, thank you for your service. And suddenly I realize I never said that to Cobra, so uh... you too, man.

I challenge you to find something that makes me squeamish in regards to genitals.

I also challenge you dudes and dudettes- to find something that makes me squeamish at all. Aside from like, horrifyingly triggery child abuse, or other things that aren't really squeamishness so much as pain in teh humanitiez.

I have nothing to add, so me and my sadness squid will be over there ->

:Hug2:s... No sadness squid for you! Lemme at 'im, I'll chop that cephalopod to Kingdom Come with a crackalackin' kung fu stick!

re boobs

My female friends tell me big boobs suck. You can hold plates on them, but back pain is a bitch...

You can in fact hold plates on them... and any food you drop while eating like a pig/snowblower/teenage boy, which is a biyotch if you wear nice clothes. Luckily I, like many women who eat like teenage boys/pigs/snowblowers, do not wear nice clothes. :D

I dun get any back pain though. Maybe recommend to your busty friends to strengthen their back muscles.

This is actually me. Dude, my ex-husband was the COLDEST person IN the universe. I'm sure his feet must have reached absolute zero at times and he always, always insisted on using me to warm up!

Oh man, that is a thing all throughout my dad's side of the family, some kind of weird bonding ritual where they come in from the cold and stick their freezing fingers down the back of your neck like "Gaaaaah!!" and it's brutal. I dun get it.

I have several friends who are paramedics and one who is an ER doc.

Oh, the stories. But I have learned important things from his stories...

...like don't try to rob the Italian Bocce club. (A young gentleman thought it would be easy pickings. You know, old Italian guys, how dangerous could they be?)

... Somebody had a serious attack of teh stupid that day. Waow.

But I am very excited to hopefully someday and hopefully soonish have a repertoire of stories of my own.

Random question: Do you think early-to-mid-20s is a realistic age for someone to be the captain of a spaceship?

Yes. Hell, people can legally start learning to drive at like 15 and a half here, and there are young captains of like sporting ships who have like circumnavigated the globe by themselves or whatever, and my cousin who at 21 has been a flight instructor in the RCAF for at least a year, and also, dude, it's the future. Once the aging boomers die off, I suspect we are going to see a cultural shift towhere age counts for a whole lot less in terms of respect'n'shit than it does now.

Seeing as we currently have 17-year-olds who fight wars, I think I could buy that a spaceship captain, especially of such a vessel as you're describing, is as young as maybe 19.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
And I have the bestest friends in the world, ever. She was all like, "I'm planning on doing some groceries tonight, want me to to drop you off?" and I was all like, "Umm... Can I follow you around the grocery store first? 'Cause I don't wanna be alone yet." And then she like pouncecuddled me and was all like, "Awww! All you have to do is say so" which is just like... The sweetest thing I have ever heard, 'cause previous friends used to make me feel like a pig if I wanted more affection/attention/interaction than I was getting.

Lame friends seems like a better descriptor.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
"Hitler has only got one ball..."

*croaks horrendously out of tune* Goering has two but very small...
Hess has even less... And Goebbels has no balls at all!

ETA: :e2drunk: is the closest emote to raising one's glass/mug/tankard/whatever that I can find. It'll have to do.

Last edited:

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
=Are you a superhero? (Or is it rude to ask that?)

... :roll:

I generate cold. Or at least my feet do. I wear socks to bed, not to keep my feet warm, but to keep them from touching other body parts and chilling them.

One word: YIKES!

I suspect I generate quite a bit of heat. I also hate, hate being really severely outside-in-20-below-zero-for-hours cold, so I guess it generally works out in my favour that I give off heat. Except for when I make the dumbass mistake of running while outside and then all m clothes get soaked in sweat so that the second I stop I'm chilled to the bone by it. Un-fun, that be.

Springing that high hurts. (See also, large boob discussion.)

QFT'd.

I'm placing my life, safety, freedom and financial opportunities into the hands of a person who is not old enough to be considered for many much more mundane jobs? Nuh-uh, not unless extraordinary circumstances had proven him VERY capable.

*is on Junely's lawn* *does not get off*

:tongue

Jealouuuuuus! I never had the chance to start martial arts lessons 'cause my parents didn't know they taught like, discipline and self-restraint and all and were afraid that with the boost to fighting skills they'd have a repeat of that time I broke a dude's nose.

... Good gawds and gawddesses, I am not making kiddie-me sound very nice, am I? :(

I totally believe it. Because you are awesomesauce. :D

Aw, shucks. Thank yews.

There's probably over a dozen precedents here. :D

And at least one anti-precedent, lol. But you do warm my heart. Tank ya.

Also, I'm thinking that food-not-agreeing-with-me thing might be the onset of a fever, or just a coincidence. Yippee!

Yay if it's coincidence! Also, I have to say I have always found the phrase "doesn't agree with me" conjures up images of people engaged in heated debate with their food, like, full debate-club-style debate with judges and a lectern and everything.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I also suffer from cold feet dontletthemtouchanything even theotherfoot ffsthatscold syndrome.

I have my bed room (and adjacent bird room) set to 68-70. I curl up with a hot water bottle and three rice socks under multiple comforters, and I can barely tolerate my feet touching each other. Until 2 or 3 am when I'm running hot and starting to toss comforter layers off.

Also, I may never go outside again till spring. This weather blows.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Also, guys, I know, I know you're getting bored of the comics talk, but man... I was, against all odds, excited for the Secret Avengers renumber before the events of Winter Soldier #14. I am over the moon to see them putting him on a team, and with Widow no less, but then... That happened.

I swear, if you're male, you are nobody in the Marvel universe until you want(ed) to be with Widow and can't. It's some kind of weird initiation or something

But, since it's Brubaker, my guess is my thoughts on the matter are going to gradually devolve from "f*** you" to "well played, man, well played" sometime down the road as absence starts making the heart grow fonder (or whatever the saying is).

ETA: Eh! He may not even actually be on the team. Double bollocks.

Last edited:

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As Gina noted, it's an impressive unSuper power.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of being unSuper, can somebody tell me in advance whether the boiling mixture of cooking oil, cheap soy sauce, and water that I spilled down the front of my favourite sweatshirt today is gonna stain or come out in the wash?

On the upside, I did not burn myself. The only advantage to one's clothes always being 3 sizes too big.

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes, and this is how I feel this week:

lmaosnow.jpg

AceTachyon

Odd person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.abnersenires.com

Didn't stop everyone whistling the Colonel Bogey March* the next time he showed up on parade, mind.
First of all, horrible gun safety practices on him.

Second, ow.

Status
Not open for further replies.