Rejectomancy

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
At long last, that 536-day old cricket has gone on to the great big rejectiony meadow in the sky. Encouraging personal rejection (of the "send us more" variety) from Tor.com

So it goes.

Tor is crazy competitive. Maybe they will bump your future submissions as a matter of course. You should absolutely quote that rejection in futures subs to them! :D

Last edited:

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Form R from Kazka Press's flash fiction contest.

You can't upset me, small-market R. Not today. Bring it on. :)

victoriajakes

let me tell you about my dogs
Registered
Reaction score
Good for you Alex. Hugs for everybody, especially zanzjan, because that is a wicked wait. I know it's understood when you submit to tor that you're in for the long haul, but geeze, what patience!

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
anyone got anything out at One Buck Horror? I love this market but they are massively behind on their replies and mine has been out 50 days now!
I only just recently sent them something, so no idea. I'm assuming they're just backed up.

Sorry for all the R's guys. :e2grouphu Double hugs for zanzjan. :Hug2::Hug2:

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
My story that got a send more at Clarkesworld? Just did the same trick at Asimov's. (After a speedy and ignoble rejection from F&SF, that is.)

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My story that got a send more at Clarkesworld? Just did the same trick at Asimov's. (After a speedy and ignoble rejection from F&SF, that is.)

That can only mean the story is amazing, Nat. Keep sending it to top-notch markets until one takes it!

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A 32 day rejection from ASIM. The story made it to the 2nd round and languished there for quite some time. It's back home and I'll allow it to hang out on the couch for the weekend because it's next target market (Abyss & Apex) reopens Nov 1.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
A 32 day rejection from ASIM. The story made it to the 2nd round and languished there for quite some time.

I've had something there in the first round for 37 days!!! I sent it to them because they seemed pretty quick but they haven't updated their page since the 11th October. Every market I submit to goes to...

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
I sent something to ASIM a few days ago, and the return email said that they'd gotten it, but that the slush reader's laptop was dead, so there'd be a delay. That might explain round one problems.

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the double post, but I just got another send more from Clarkesworld. I like this trend a fair bit, though maybe sometime it'd be nice if it went a tad further...

Oh, and lest anyone think I've gotten way better at this whole writing thing, the last story was my second to most recent. This one's my third oldest on submission. So... I was good, then got terrible, and am now okay again? Yay!

faerydancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brendastokes.com
I had a rejection come in today from ASIM today, too, Alex. I made it to the second round as well. Now, where to send it next? That's always the question haha

Sorry about the R's Nathaniel!

Lillie

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the Rs, people!
And good luck for those still waiting :)

I've never sent to AISM. They say 'light hearted' and that sort of puts me off.
I'm not sure that I do light hearted.

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry Nathaniel. You'll find a place for that piece yet!

I know some of us put in for the LRRH issue of Enchanted Conversation. The Accepted list is up HERE. I'm not in it - anybody here make it?

Thanks for the heads up--I can update my spreadsheet with the R!

Last edited:

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
Lillie - I love ASIM, I don't think Lighthearted means what some people think it does, so do check them out. I sold to them before, got a 100+ day reject with comments that made sense the second time. The first story, the editor said it made him cry (it dealt with hate crime, in a Magical Realist way) and they were very good about promoting it, even if I was a US person not an Aussie, so do love them for the way they handled my work.

Definate huggles to all the Rs, I'm waiting on a few myself, until then my crickets are playing drinking, smoking, and playing poker in a velvet painting somewhere.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Bah. Been sick and thus no internet. Logged in today and found a form rejection in my inbox from Strange Horizons this afternoon.

jazzman99

Recovering Academic
Registered
Reaction score
Halloween R from Berkeley Fiction Review, the sixth R for this story. I really believe in it, though, and it'll find a home some day. Back out the door it goes....

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
A form rejection from Apex today. I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out where to send this story as it feels too grounded to send to fantasy markets and too light to send to horror mags. Shock Totem's open again, so I think I'm going to send it there.

Project Deadlight

Registered
Reaction score
Just had a hearbreaking personal rejection from one of the bigguns. Not because it was a bad rejection, just that the comments in it made me think that the reader didn’t really understand the story and made me think she had missed the point entirely on quite a fundamental level… That is a whole market now where I will worry anything slightly interesting or challenging won’t make it past the slush reader just because they don’t get it. Grrr.