After an offer of rep...

AmyJay

Registered
Reaction score
So, I know that after an offer of representation, you should contact other agents who requested your material and give them time to decide. But what about agents you've only queried? If the query was sent recently enough that the agent probably hasn't gotten to it yet, should you notify them of your offer?

I've heard different opinions on this, so I was wondering what you all thought. Thanks!

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Some people do, it's up to you really. If you don't notify them then it's polite to let them know after you've signed so they don't waste time with the query.

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say if I had just queried your dream agent a few days ago, then I would do send them a polite email informing them of the development, if only for the fact that I might always have wondered.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Why not? If you're really interested, attach your full and write a note explaining the situation and something along the lines of "If you're interested, please let me know by (date)." I've heard of other people having success with this approach.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I would only do it with agents I know want to hear at the query stage (Jenn Laughran is one) or dream agents.

If this is more than hypothetical, congrats :)

M. Scott

2024 will be my year!
Registered
Reaction score
If you've only queried an agent, I don't see the harm in letting it slide. If they request to read more, you can always let them know you've already received an offer.

RainbowDragon

Perpetuous Revisasaurus
Registered
Reaction score
If you might want the queried agent more than the offering agent, by all means give her/him a chance to say yes.

The offer makes you more attractive than just a blind query.

AmyJay

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, everyone. It's tough trying to figure out which non-responders I should count as a no, since the recent holidays could've thrown off their usual response times. But I'm extremely happy with the agent who did offer (it still feels surreal writing that!), so I think I'll let those ones go.

Sage, thanks! :)

Last edited:

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, AmyJay! :snoopy:

I would at least send them a quick email saying that you're represented.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Unless an agent specifically asks not to be bothered with news of such developments I'd tell them. It's only polite.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
OTOH, if it's been more than three or four months since you queried, with no response, and that agency wasn't one of your top picks, why spend time notifying them at all?

If they amble back around in six to eleven months with a request, and your offer hasn't materialized, then you can decide. If you've already signed with an agent or even been published, it's the laggard agency's tough luck.

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
I informed several of the agents who had my queries when I got an offer of rep. Over half of them immediately requested the full, and all of them thanked me for letting them know.

I'm not sure if I would've e-mailed so many of them under other normal circumstances. I was lucky to get an offer less than a week after sending out my first query, so most people hadn't yet had a chance to take a look.

So... it's entirely up to you. I've seen a couple of discussions on Twitter where agents asked to be informed, though. I think they'd sooner appreciate it than not :)

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Unless an agent specifically asks not to be bothered with news of such developments I'd tell them. It's only polite.

This. I'd let them all know. You have nothing to lose.

~suki

AmyJay

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. :) Just an update: I accepted the agent's offer, though I did follow up on some of the more recent queries I'd sent out. (And I'm still getting a few unexpected straggler R's from months-old queries I'd already written off ages ago.)

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
I informed several of the agents who had my queries when I got an offer of rep. Over half of them immediately requested the full, and all of them thanked me for letting them know.

I'm not sure if I would've e-mailed so many of them under other normal circumstances. I was lucky to get an offer less than a week after sending out my first query, so most people hadn't yet had a chance to take a look.

So... it's entirely up to you. I've seen a couple of discussions on Twitter where agents asked to be informed, though. I think they'd sooner appreciate it than not :)

Corinne, what did you put in the subject line of your email to those other agents?

I was wondering what contact method is most appropriate for this kind of situation, email or phone call. Any ideas?

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
E-mail is generally best, I think--phone calls might come at a bad time, and there's really not much they can say without having your original pitch in front of them.

As for my subject line:

OFFER OF REPRESENTATION: Always Read the Fae Print (YA urban fantasy)

AmyJay

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the congrats! :)

Quickbread, I used the same subject line as Corinne (with my book's title, obviously ;) ), with the original email message below. I wouldn't call an agent unless directly invited to do so.

Melanie

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a question. I'm in a similar situation and one of the other agents asked me who offered me representation. Should I tell him?

Thanks in advance.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a question. I'm in a similar situation and one of the other agents asked me who offered me representation. Should I tell him?

Thanks in advance.

Totally up to you. Some would say yes, some would say no.

Might be he's trying to make sure you are telling the truth - might shock you to know some writers lie about offers to try to game the agents reading.

Might be he's trying to decide whether he has the time to read and get back to you, and if he knows the offering agent is much bigger than him, or a better fit, or a friend of his, etc., he might not bother to read.

Or he might be wondering who offered, becuase he was going to reject, or to offer an R&R, and is curious who offered outright.

It's your call. But you can't know what he will do/feel if you say no. So, if you are uncomfortable revealing the offering agent, then simply tell him that. But know he might make assumptions based on that refusal.

On the other hand, there could be risks in telling him.

Or he could just be curious and your response, whether to tell him or not, might have no effect whatsoever.

So, go with your gut instinct.

~suki

Melanie

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Suki.

Do you think I can ask him why he wants to know or that would be insulting?

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Suki.

Do you think I can ask him why he wants to know or that would be insulting?

Weeellllll, you could...but I'm not sure he'll tell you.

Here's another thread that discusses this issue: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230314&highlight=disclosing+offering+agent

And an agent actually weighed in.

(FYI - I found it by using the search function - ie, on the blur bar up there, next to "New Posts" it says "Search" - use the pull down menu to bring up a search box - and I searched for disclosing offering agent - and it pulled up that thread).

~suki