Cannot answer all the questions in the climax

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
I've just completed the first draft if my WIP (first ever). When writing the climax, I realized that I simply cannot give answers to each and every question possible in the climax. It would ruin the momentum and I can conceive no sensible way of providing all those answers. BUT, all the main arcs are solved and the answers I am unable to put in are very minimalistic and likely to be mostly unnoticed except by people who re-read books hundreds of times (like me).

So, if anyone has been in this type of situation before, do you think it's ok to leave some minor explanations out? Or does it spell disaster? Or is there any other way to incorporate them?

Thanks in advance

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First up, congratulations on finishing that draft. Woo-hoo!

I see several approaches which might work.

One is giving the reader credit for seeing that the way the book ends does indeed resolve certain questions raised, even if the explanation is never spelled out.

Another is to remove the raising of the questions in the first place.

Another is to have the pace ratcheted up and up and up in the climax, then have a very short ending in which loose ends are tied into pretty bows as the surviviors discuss things. (Personally, I don't care for this, but I certainly see it in novels.)

Another is to use those loose ends as a way to spike that tension and pace in the ending. Have the villain or good guy tell the other that some open-ended issue has been concluded, well or badly, which infuriates the person learning of it. ("What about Sally?" "Your pretty little friend? She's moved, you know. Under the concrete pad in your housing development." Mwa-ha-ha-ha!)

Maryn, proud of you for finishing

Emily Winslow

Do Not Walk on the Grass
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emilywinslow.com
I do think you can get away with not every little thing being resolved so long as all big things are.

You could also consider resolving some of the smaller things earlier.

I know many writers swear by surprise endings, but I enjoy my answers early, then luxuriating in their implications.

john barnes on toast

Registered
Reaction score
It might depend on the genre of the book, and what the accepted conventions for that genre are, but for me personally I don't need every aspect of a story tied up with a bow on by the end.

Quite often what can stay with you as a reader, are the unresolved aspects. It's a balancing act.

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I have indeed decided to simply leave some loose ends. It's not like I'm not resolving plotlines- all the plots are resolved. But there are some little events that may prompt a 'huh?' from a prospective reader. A bit of thinking on the reader's part can sort it out though so I'll leave it to them. ;)

And, as Maryn suggested, I'll likely have an epilogue-like chapter at the back to patch up some things here and there. Thanks all.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
One word: Epilogue :)

But, I think as long as the major stuff is resolved and the ending 'feels right' then you are fine.

dgrintalis

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl
Registered
Reaction score
Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark
I've left one thing purposely open with my tale, Ink. It's simply a character telling another character she will tell the story about the scar above her eyebrow sometime. My plan is that sometime will be in another book about her as a child, once I'm finished with my next WIP, as well as the two I have sketched out which will come after that. :D

It does not hurt anything in Ink. All the main conflicts are resolved. It's just a little thread I left dangling.

Last edited:

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
All the man conflicts are resolved.

You and all you MAN conflicts.

Guess that's what happens when you're a bellydancer. Have to beat the guys off with a stick :D

Mel...

Last edited:

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
A little unsatisfied hunger might make readers hope for a sequel. As a reader, I don't mind as long as there is one ;)

I leave some questions unanswered on purpose. All of the loose ends can be blamed on one minor character, an elusive and evasive ghost. One of the questions is where did he come from in the first place (before the story begins, when he was alive), and only he can answer that. It's not relevant to the plot and it's only vaguely hinted at anyway. By the end, the MC is just happy that everyone is safe and he has a warm bed and a full stomach.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I can see how you wouldn't want to lose momentum by tying up ALL the loose ends. If the big questions are answered then the small ones can be tantalizing little nits that readers can solve for themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.