Portrayal of Men

Status
Not open for further replies.

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
One thing I notice too much of in all outlets of fiction is that men always seem to be portrayed in a much more negative light than women. Men are often regarded with scorn and contempt while women are put on pedestals. Women tend to get more respect than men (much more), especially when portrayed in the media. Frankly, like many men who are firm believers in men's rights that take offense, this really ticks me off.

Now I know a lot of people here, especially the women, are going to ask, "Dwayne, what the hell have you got against women?" But I've already answered this question on previous posts. I'm not a misogynist or a sexist, but it really annoys and ticks me off. The real question that needs to be addressed and answered here is, "what the hell does society and the media have against men?"

Think about it. There are so many positive female role models for girls, yet there are hardly any positive male role models for boys. Almost all of the time, it's only the guys who are doing the lying, cheating, stealing, killing, etc while the women are the story's moral center. And from what I read in books and see in movies, a very large fraction of the male protagonists are real jerks. The same isn't true for the female protagonists.

When I was a child, one of my favorite children's book series, "The Berenstein Bears" was criticized for portraying Papa bear as a complete baffoon. We see this a lot in television sitcoms and cartoons. To me, this isn't satire, it's offensive sexism. Also, ever notice that in many single parent familes in stories, film, and tv, it's the father who is the absent parent?

In fact, in every story I read, every movie I've seen, every game I've played that had two protagonists of different sexes, the guy is always portrayed as more unlikeable and unsympathetic than the girl. Most of the time, he's the only one with negative traits that make a character more unlikeable and unsympathetic.

Also, another fact to bring up is where the protagonist and antagonist are of different sexes. When he's the protagonist and she's the antagonist, at least she's got things to like about her. But when it's the other way around, with her as the protagonist and he's the antagonist, he's got absolutely nothing to like about him. He's portrayed as a total a**hole, yet she's got all the likeable traits. To me, feminists demand this type of story because they want to see women triumph over male chauvenistic pigs.

I don't know who came up with the saying, "Girls are made of sugar and spice and everything nice. Boys are rotten and filled with cotton," but these issues are further proof that men get less respect than women in their portrayal. (much less)

So the questions here that need to be addressed are:

Why can't the sexes be portrayed equally?
Why are men portrayed more negatively than women?
Why are the sexes portrayed differently?
What does society and the media have against men?

In my stories, I insist on portraying the sexes equally. To me, it's not just respectful, it's what's fair. But most of all, it's what we deserve!

Chicago Expat

Distracted
Registered
Reaction score
In my opinion, your premise is flawed. Females have predominantly received the sharp end of the stick by Hollywood and media outlets.

I'd be happy to debate the issue with you, but you haven't given any specific examples to bolster your position. All I really have to work with is a lot of things that you think.

You definitely have a strong opinion, but an opinion alone isn't an element that leads to healthy debate. Usually it just leads to bombastic statements and semantic firefights.

I'll drop back in on the thread later and see if you elaborate your points at all.

Cheers.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think people are more sensitive to perceived slights against any demographic group they are in.

Before even considering whether one gender gets it worse I would want to see data.

Otherwise we are just critiquing the invisible wombat that might live on the moon.

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

DwayneA

Registered
Reaction score
I got that last part from a Peanuts comic strip

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
i think if you get the impression men are vilified and women are sainted you don't have to look far at all to expand your view, and perhaps you simply need to read a bit more.

Duma Key, Misery, the Dark Tower books on several levels, all by Stephen King, have some very negative women and noble men

Agyar by Stephen Brust
Servants of Twilight by Dean Koontz
Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

just a very quick off the top of my head for those, but I don't think you need to look too far to find you some good guys and bad girls. Are you reading all thrillers with rought-and-tumble thugs? Men have like 2X the skeletal muscle women do; thuggish baddies will tend to be men because of their job, just like the NBA doesn't discriminate against midgets simply because you never see one....if you're reading about toughs, you're in an environment where the numbers reflect requirements/attributes rather than active bias

On a side note, I believe that you've posted at least one thread asking almost the same thing within the past 3 months, where people said the same....

Edit: since you also mention movies, watch some chick-flicks, often they have the token bad boy, the token prince, and the just confused and stupid female lead, who finally realizes she's a selfish twat in the last fifteen minutes and then has a weepy confessional to get the prince back after chasing the bad boy--is she your idea of the good female then?

Last edited:

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
In my stories, I insist on portraying the sexes equally. To me, it's not just respectful, it's what's fair. But most of all, it's what we deserve!

regardless of how much you have or have not read, this statement reflects a desire to soap-box and preach rather than tell a real story. That isn't all bad, Lewis went heavy for the preaching in his books and many other people have tried to write idealized worlds, but you better be aware that is what you are doing, and use it when it actually fits--skin color should make no difference either, but if I was going to write a story about life in Mississippi in the 1950s and I pretended everyone treated one another equally, all I did was made a really fake story.

zegota

Fantastic!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewborgard.com
Also, ever notice that in many single parent familes in stories, film, and tv, it's the father who is the absent parent?

Ever notice that most (~85%) of single parents are mothers?

Anyway, this topic is silly. Women are routinely dismissed in popular culture, or focused on for external traits such as physical beauty. They rarely have a voice of their own, and are often used as vehicles for the male characters. A great example of this is the Bechdel Test. To pass the Bechdel Test, a story (usually a screenplay, but it can be applied to any form of media) must contain two female characters who have a conversation about something other than a man (or something that incidentally revolves around a man, like a wedding). You would be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't) how many stories fail this extraordinarily simple test.

You obviously have some unresolved issues with women. It shows.

gilesth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
gilesth.blogspot.com
Personally, I would like to see more TV shows and movies that portray men in a positive light, but I don't think there's a real lack of them out there. And if I, as a writer, think that a story needs a positive male role-model, then I'll write that story. In a non-preachy manner :)

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dwayne, as Quicklime pointed out, you've started many such threads. No more. Locking this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.