The original NSA whistleblower: A (then) 25-year-old NSA analyst who spilled the beans in 1972

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
His name is Perry Fellwock. He's in his 60's now, and has been quietly living in Long Island as an antiques dealer of late, not wanting anymore limelight. But a 28-yr-old journalist coaxed him back into the interview seat recently in this Gawker article.

http://gawker.com/after-30-years-of-silence-the-original-nsa-whistleblow-1454865018

After 30 Years of Silence, the Original NSA Whistleblower Looks Back

by Adrian Chen -- November 12, 2013

... At the time [1972], only the broadest outlines of the NSA's activities had ever been reported in the press. Its headquarters were unmarked; its description in official government documents restricted to an absurdly vague, "Performs highly specialized technical and coordinating functions relating to the national security." The post-Snowden spectacle of the NSA chief testifying before Congress, and then being caught in falsehoods by further leaks, was unimaginable. No director would have spoken publicly about the agency's mission at all, let alone anything it might or might not have done....

... A few days later, I tried again. This time he began unspooling like magnetic tape: holding forth on the NSA, recommending scores of articles and books. I'd need the material to comprehend the arcane back stories and dark conspiracies he was outlining, involving U.S. and British intelligence agencies. It all sounded outlandish, but given the source, maybe true? Overwhelmed, I suggested meeting in person, at a Manhattan coffee shop, and Fellwock reluctantly agreed....

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure what troubles me more.

1) That we so readily believe that our government engages in this kind of "black ops" activity, activity that no one will even acknowledge, as the NSA was for its first several decades.
2) The we keep finding evidence that, yeah, maybe they do.