• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Fear Or Fright Publishing

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
http://fearorfrightpublishing.com/?page_id=14

Am I being overly cautious or should this ring alarms?

We are not a traditional publisher or company. We work with writers and artists of other dark mediums to publish materials that frighten and bring new fear into their psyche. We strive to work with the independents and we support independent rights.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
The amount of useless repetition and number of errors on their "about" page is enough to send me running. Heck, their name is repetitious.

I'm not exactly sure what they are. I think they're a book packager... maybe... that also puts your work up on Kindle--for a 30% cut. That'd be on top of Amazon's cut, yes?

I'd say: Move along; nothing to see here.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
From their website:

We do push more for exclusive Kindle publishing do to certain restrictions but that decision is fully up to the other when publishing their work.

I'm fairly sure they mean author.

We independently publish each work and work with the author on releasing their work. We do not offer services that traditional publishers do, but work with authors and make suggestions to help them get their work ready for publication.

My goodness, someone at FoF can't resist using the word 'work'...

We with authors and other dark media artists.

...except where it's really necessary.

We have editors and cover artists that we recommend when preparing their title, but in the end it is up to the writer to make sure they have their work prepared and ready for the masses to read.http://fearorfrightpublishing.com/?page_id=14

There's an ad for GJS Freelance Editing on the site's home page but I don't know if there's any connection between the two.

FluffBunny

Disapproving plot bun disapproves.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Third burrow on your left. Your other left.
There's an old website dating to when their name was FoF Publishing here - http://fearorfrightpublishing.wordpress.com

Jason R. Davis is listed there as the company founder. FoF was created in December 2009, renamed in 2011. The current domain Whois lists Mr. Davis as the registrant with an address in Wisconsin. I was unable to locate a business registered as either FoF or using Fear as a wildcard in Wisconsin or Illinois (Mr. Davis was a founder of the Chicago Horror Festival and the email on his whois uses "chicagohorrorfest" as part of the address). I found no LinkedIn profile.

The older site states that it was founded to print Mr. Davis' first book. L&L Publishing (a well-respected publisher of magic books) started that way, but magic is a pretty specialized niche. Is Horror considered a niche genre?

If the FB page I found is the correct one, and I believe it is, he indicates that he lives in Los Angeles. I was unable to find a business registration there, either. The business appears to have no FB presence as either FoF or Fear or Fright. (I was chuckling at the name, but I suppose if you look at it as fear=terror and fright=startled, it works in a way. So would Hungry or Peckish for a cookbook company, but it wouldn't be my first choice.)

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
L&L Publishing, Louis Tannen, others: Yeah. Professional magic is indeed a niche market; a specialized non-fiction genre where the publishers, their authors, and the intended readers would be horrified (to keep this vaguely on-topic) to think that their books might be found on the shelf at every B&N in the country. Some of the most respected books in that field are mimeographed typescripts, others are hand-lettered. But that's a very specialized market.

Horror pretty-much nichified itself in the Great Horror Boom and Bust of the late 'nineties. I'm sure it will re-emerge, but I don't think that's happened just yet.

There's always room for specialized small presses--provided they're good. Presence or absence of a Facebook page is less important than the quality of the text, the production, the editing.

With this press, as with any other, I'd suggest that a writer buy and read several titles before going with them.

(Fear or Fright reminds me of the legendary giant Terror son of Great Fear.)

FluffBunny

Disapproving plot bun disapproves.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Third burrow on your left. Your other left.
L&L Publishing, Louis Tannen, others: Yeah. Professional magic is indeed a niche market; a specialized non-fiction genre where the publishers, their authors, and the intended readers would be horrified (to keep this vaguely on-topic) to think that their books might be found on the shelf at every B&N in the country. Some of the most respected books in that field are mimeographed typescripts, others are hand-lettered. But that's a very specialized market.

Horror pretty-much nichified itself in the Great Horror Boom and Bust of the late 'nineties. I'm sure it will re-emerge, but I don't think that's happened just yet.

There's always room for specialized small presses--provided they're good. Presence or absence of a Facebook page is less important than the quality of the text, the production, the editing.

With this press, as with any other, I'd suggest that a writer buy and read several titles before going with them.

(Fear or Fright reminds me of the legendary giant Terror son of Great Fear.)

True about L&L and magic books in general. The ones you'll find in a B&N are Dover reprints of older works, general public works by folks like Mark Wilson or semi-(auto)biographical works of people like Jim Steinmeyer, Penn and Teller or Chris Angel. Most of my magic books have been purchased direct from L&L or from the author, occasionally from another magician. Some of my greatest treasures are mimeographed sheets that are kept in an acid-proof box away from the light. I've photographed them and saved them to disk because, even with precautions, they won't last forever. :(

Thank you for the info on Horror. I don't read it (well, except for EAP), so it's not a genre I'm familiar with. And no judgement was meant about them not having a FB page. Diety-of-your-choice knows you can be successful and good for your authors without FB, Twitter, et al. I was just stating that another possible avenue of information doesn't exist.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site's gone, as is Twitter account. Old WP page lingers on.