Rejectomancy

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Personal R from Shock Totem. They said it might be too good for its own good! Not really, it was a form. :D
:roll:

Oh well, they're missing out.

R's yesterday from Space Squid and Stupefying Stories.

I'm tempted to submit to Dark Discoveries (it looks like a neat zine), but I don't want to wait two-plus years. : /

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for all the R's everyone. Shimmery ones are my favourite kind; somehow they make me want to keep on writing.

renard79

Teacher in Space
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Commiserations to all the Rs, though the shimmery ones do sound nice. Even for Rs.

18 day form R from Dreams and Nightmares. Going out again tomorrow.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Excuse me, is this the way to the Shimmery Rejection Club? I got my 15-day personal rejection from them yesterday. Very kind words though, which helps the sting a bit.

Eliza C

We’ll see what happens from here…
Registered
Reaction score
Well, one of my 3 screaming red subs on Duo has been laid to rest. 153-day R from Fantasy-Faction. With 1700 entries for 6 spots, the odds were against me, but this is one of my 2 favorite stories so I was hopeful anyway. Guess it's still looking for a home.

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
ouch! long wait. And hugs to all those with recent rejections!

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
43-day Buzzy R. Not even second round; they're just taking forever now. I think places like Lightspeed and Shimmer need to pass on their secret. :)

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
19-day R from DSF, which is shame 'cause I thought this story would definitely be up their ally. Oh well, off to FFO.

43-day Buzzy R. Not even second round; they're just taking forever now. I think places like Lightspeed and Shimmer need to pass on their secret. :)
It's probabaly having a lot of slushies on active duty (no slackers like in A_pex), or at least an editor who reads sub as they come in.

And forever would be Tor or Dark Discoveries who take a year or more to respond. :tongue

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
And forever would be Tor or Dark Discoveries who take a year or more to respond. :tongue
Has sci-fi taught you nothing? Time is relative, submissions time doubly so. ;) Seriously though, I feel nothing when, say, my Writers of the Future subs clock in at 100+, but it makes me go :gaah when newer, smaller markets do it.

Brynn

Registered
Reaction score
16-day R from At Year's End. (A very nice personal.) Fortunately (?) I'd already started working on another one with them in mind. (Bwahaha.)

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Has sci-fi taught you nothing? Time is relative, submissions time doubly so. ;) Seriously though, I feel nothing when, say, my Writers of the Future subs clock in at 100+, but it makes me go :gaah when newer, smaller markets do it.
Well, I recently saw Looper and I'm still scratching my head over the time travel hogwash. Good movie, tho.

I'm guessing newbie markets are unprepared and quickly become buried in submissions, and it takes them months to dig their way out. Some of them never make it out. :eek:

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Some of them never make it out. :eek:
Dun dun duuuuun! Yeah, on hindsight it's fine. But the first ten minutes after that 40+ day wait...!

On a more general note, Deep Cuts unleashed my masterpiece back into the marketplace with a long and painful 110-day rejection! One of the editors graciously offered to let submitters know specific reasons why a story was rejected, provided you email her first. That's pretty dang awesome of her. I have a few ideas how to improve it, but if she could narrow it down that'd be sweet.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
On a more general note, Deep Cuts unleashed my masterpiece back into the marketplace with a long and painful 110-day rejection! One of the editors graciously offered to let submitters know specific reasons why a story was rejected, provided you email her first. That's pretty dang awesome of her. I have a few ideas how to improve it, but if she could narrow it down that'd be sweet.
Ditto. Though my wait wasn't as painful, only 41 days. Might take up the offer on feedback, since it's so rare and very gracious of them. But I have a feeling she'll be flooded with questions, lol.

ETA: Also got another wonderful and great email from John Amen of Pesterstal. :rolleyes: But now I've learned there's a unsubscribe option to these stupid things.

Last edited:

renard79

Teacher in Space
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Ditto. Though my wait wasn't as painful, only 41 days. Might take up the offer on feedback, since it's so rare and very gracious of them. But I have a feeling she'll be flooded with questions, lol.

Probably, but that's really cool of her!

ETA: Also got another wonderful and great email from John Amen of Pesterstal. :rolleyes: But now I've learned there's a unsubscribe option to these stupid things.

Aha! I thought I was the only one who found those annoying. :tongue

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
I got both as well! I forgot where Amen was from, thanks for the reminder.

I'm debating the request, as well. I'm curious to see the names on the TOC for DC!

Last edited:

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
You know, I don't believe the unsubscribe option was always included in Mr. Amen's poetry advertisements. But I sure as heck took him up on the offer this time when I saw it.