Not open for further replies.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
William found a terrific article today for AuthorScoop's Morning LitLinks feature in The Guardian. It tracks the development of 'hypochondria' as a diagnosis, but also its role in the character and tendencies of many great authors and how it played out in their work.

The whole article is fascinating, but I identified unexpectedly (not readily acknowledging my own leanings) with -

The Proustian hypochondriac feels the world press too keenly on him; he mistakes perfectly ordinary sensations for deep afflictions. (In Proust's own case, the touch of a damp towel could send him into hypochondriacal paroxysms.)
Just recently, I've been hyper-prone to having the nerves in my teeth furl and wave when things like dry paper or cotton grate against each other. The cardboard tongue fitting into its groove at the top of the cereal box is giving me shudders. I'm pretty sure I'd faint if my fingernail was accidentally bent backwards.

I haven't been able to place why in the hell I'm so sensitive lately (and it's only this; physically I feel fine) but the whole episode coincides nicely with querying-agenting-getting ready for submission and the pressing fear that I'm a big fat fraud.

Ha! Was I just diagnosed and indicted by a British newspaper article? Am I a hypochondriac? Or is it a touch hypochondriacal to worry about it in the first place?

Tell me I'm not alone. (And/or read the article and comment. It's great.)

Last edited:

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...and the paradox flies--is hypochondria itself a disease (or diseased state), and is that state accepted as such by the hypochondriac and by his/her medical professional?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
The Proustian hypochondriac feels the world press too keenly on him; he mistakes perfectly ordinary sensations for deep afflictions.

fairly standard narcissism in many respects, and a vital arrow in any artist's quiver.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
No, no, no. You're a darling, of course, but what I meant is that it's been so funny that this weird sensitivity seems to be dovetailing with the anxiety. Most of me knows I'm not a fraud, but the shoulder devil's made of lead and brimstone these days. He used to be hollow chocolate, like the substandard Easter bunny bought at KMart.

I was also very impressed with the article's diagramming of how malady can remove the artist from every day hustle so that he can work. It's an oddly effective hermitage.

Last edited:

Feiss

Sleeps during the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Um. I can't eat anything circular in any way except circuitously, as for sounds, the snicking sound of rubbery plastic rubbing against itself really ruins my mood.

Also, you are funny and cool, too much so to not get published, and I have concluded this simply from your posts on AW, so i imagine your concerted efforts at prose must be very powerful.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
I always understood it to be a condition of "imagined" ailments. Such as my mother claiming to our family doctor that I was faking it or a hypochondriac only to have him turn around and tell her that I had Bronchial Pneumonia and it was quite advanced in both lungs.

She often was given to such statements: "I'm taking you to the doctor Kim Marie and if you're faking it, I will never believe you again." To her dismay upon repeating that same thing to the doctor he gave her quite the lecture on how maybe I wouldn't get so sick if she didn't smoke in the home.

But I digress. LOL

Perks my darling girl, I am suffering right now from what I can only consider a hyper response to any tactile sensations. My teeth are tender, my skin burns and tingles and my glands are being hyper vigilant over any small amount of stress. It's like the slightest bit of stress and my immune system gives me "the hell in" as they say in South Africa.

I do think that there is a tendency for some in the artistic pursuits to believe they must suffer for their craft, in what ever form they think it must take and will make it happen with their attitudes. Most people aren't aware of what they think or say and how much power that has to bring things from their fears into the fruition of reality.

All I can say with assurance is, we need to chill. ;) I even had this discussion with my 18 year old today. I constantly forget to stay in the moment. I recognize this from time to time when my self conscious mind takes on the voice of Yoda and says:

"Always with this one, her mind always looking to the future but never on where she is."

;)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
holy, perks. you're crazy!

(-;

Hypochondriac about hypochondria. You're aces.

It's the artist who moves beyond hypochondria as hermitage to write that's tragic. They become the writer's block sickos tied into knots made up of the sicknesses they imagine themselves to have. Then, the wrist slitting ensues and the real art begins. blood birds are beautiful!

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
holy, perks. you're crazy!

(-;

Hypochondriac about hypochondria. You're aces.

It's the artist who moves beyond hypochondria as hermitage to write that's tragic. They become the writer's block sickos tied into knots made up of the sicknesses they imagine themselves to have. Then, the wrist slitting ensues and the real art begins. blood birds are beautiful!
You know, you promised not to tell anyone about that. I swear, I've moved back to the city!

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about hypochondria, but that sounds an awful lot like the noise-sensitivity I get when I have a migraine coming on.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Perks, you have one trait a true hypochondriac can't have; self-deprecating humor. ;) In other words, the hypochondriac doesn't even know there's something called 'taking yourself too seriously.'

Like William said, hypochondria is a frequent by-product of narcissism. And artistic temperaments are possibly more susceptible to this, given their sensitive nature. But...I don't think narcissism or hypochondria or any of those negative off-shoots of sensitivity are necessarily the baggage all good writers must carry. After all, the best writers are those who give us a window into their soul where we can see a bit of ourselves reflected back--and that is probably too much of a writing challenge for the narcissist.

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Are you accusing Perks of deprecating!

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are you accusing Perks of deprecating!

:Ssh:

(Ssh, KTC, it'll just make her twitch if you draw attention to it.)

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Here's what I think (which you can ignore if you like, because I've already had a glass of wine).

This literary hypochondria seems to me to be an oversensitivity to every-day sensations (and yes, Perks, I'm with you on that dry-against-dry rubbing thing: it makes my teeth creep to the extent that I can't fold clean towels or use cornflour). As writers we need that oversensitivity to notice the stuff that we write about: all those small twitches and character traits which illuminate our work and add depth to it. It's the tiny details which matter; and most people--those strange, non-writing folks who I'm told manage to somehow enjoy their lives despite their strange ability to live without writing things down each day--most people don't notice those things, and don't know how we do it.

So there.

Status
Not open for further replies.