The last choice bookshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
If you don't mind, can I point out a couple of things you did wrong?

First, it seems you didn't familiarize yourself with the store, the workers, or the owners.

Second, seems you hadn't established a relationship with the above named people.

Third, since there is no relationship then the only thing between you and them is formality, in effect you've become a salesmen and/or walking telemarketer for yourself which I doubt was your intent

Fourth, seems you approached them from the standpoint of "What can your bookstore do for me?". Again, that may not have been your intent but based on your description of their responses, that is how you probably came across to them.

So what is the fix?

Well, for this bookstore and others, sorta do the reverse of the above list. Familiarize yourself with the key staff, understand WHO you need to schmoooze with ;) Get on a first name basis with them and give them your business, i.e. you should be buying books from them. This establishes a business relationship. Similarly, refer them business and make sure they know you have refered them business. In fact, after you've established that relationship, it wouldn't hurt to have some friends come by and say, "Hey, my friend *your name* sent me over here..."

Once you have a relationship established with them, THEN you start talking about you being a writer and can they help you promote your book.

You can also pitch it as a prestige thing for THEM. I mean, it is nice to have a real life author come in to your shop and do a book signing, gives an establishment a sorta business/prestige feeling. In fact, perhaps you could tie into some of their promotions, offer to run a workshop explaining what it is like being a writer, writing that first book, etc. etc.

Again, notice how its not so much what they can do for you, but what you can do for them as well.

Anyways, just my two cents on this matter.

Take or leave as you see fit

Mel...

Last edited:

CheshireCat

Mostly purring. Mostly.
Registered
Reaction score
And I'm wondering if you provided your publisher with a list of the bookstores closest to you months before pub date, so they and/or their reps could contact the bookstore about promo and signings and such.

Bookstores respond much better to publishers than to unknown writers who walk in off the street.

Not fair, I suppose, but with the huge increase in self and vanity pubs, most bookstores have learned to be wary.

sommemi

Uses loquacious in sentences
Registered
Reaction score
That's really sad.... but I do agree with above advice. I think if I worked at a bookshop and had all kinds of 'other' duties to do all day long, I'd want someone to come in and be interested in getting familiar with me and my shop (and my clientelle) before just sticking a post it in front of me with their book info on it. Maybe if you make a habit of frequenting the shop often and casually chatting with the cashier about something besides your own book a couple times then it might seem more friendly? I dunno. Either way, I'm sorry she seemed so callous.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
From reading your post, it seems that you approached the former owner/current employee of this shop and got upset that she didn't on the spot clear you for an event or publicity. I would imagine she's no longer authorized to do that, and she acted per the new owners' specifications on arranging for shelf space, advertisement, and signings. She didn't ignore you, she gave you the information you needed in order to make your own arrangements - in short, she answered your question.

It's not her job to go to the people who bought her out on your behalf. It's not her job to make sure you have a convenient local place to sell your books. It's her job to follow company policy in a professional manner, which she did. Taking a sticky note off the counter and writing down the website for your book won't change the fact that if the new owners have to clear author events and publicity personally that you have to see them in person, at their primary store - even if it's a further distance from you.

These aren't your friends and they're not required to make exceptions for every local writer who walks in off the street and asks for space, publicity, or signings.

You say yourself that you haven't been back since, so why should they put in effort when you aren't doing the same?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Writing's a business, just as selling books is a business. You need to build up a business relationship and show to them why they should carry your book. Just because they're in the business of selling books doesn't mean they automatically have to carry yours.

TrixieLox

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And they should do that for you... why?

What s/he said *points above*

We can't assume shelf space or indeed window space just 'cos we've written a book and published it. Even the Big Boys like Penguin and co have whole sales teams trying to sell in books to bookstores... and they don't always succeed.

So why you? Or me? Or anyone... why?

Barb D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bqdell.blogspot.com
Are you beginning to see a pattern emerging here, or is it just me?

Yes! You're not getting her message that SHE'S NOT THE ONE YOU SHOULD BE TALKING TO. She's telling you WHO you should be talking to, and yet you keep trying to talk to her.

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I just read your blog entry. It sounded like you were being passive aggresive. Very.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Yes! You're not getting her message that SHE'S NOT THE ONE YOU SHOULD BE TALKING TO. She's telling you WHO you should be talking to, and yet you keep trying to talk to her.

Exactly what I was thinking when I got to that line in the blog post.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
Gotta agree with Mel

I've arranged a book-signing with the local branch of the big chain book shop here in the UK.

No reason at all for them to do that for me - I'm with a small pub in the US, one they don't stock on thier shelves as a rule ( though they do sell them on-line)

So why did they agree?

I made a point of not mentioning my book for the first few months. What I did do was wander in, check out the deals, buy books and talk about what's hot and what's not in SFF. I got to know them as people.

When my book came out as an e-book I asked if they would mind carrying some bookmarks ( can't hurt, right?) and they were more than willing. They love having free stuff to give away, because their customers like it. In fact when I go in for afternoon tea with my Mum they often come and ask if I have any more.

So when it came to going in and saying 'I have a print release date, would it be possible to have a signing?' they were incredibly encouraging, even to the point of helping me publicise it, telling me who I needed to talk to at the local paper to get max publicity, what sort of leaflets work best and what to do to make the event a success. Not to mention they've said they'll ask a few other local stores on my behalf in I can do signings there, if all goes well.

They didn't need to. But not only do they know me (and are thrilled for me at getting the book pubbed), they know that'll I've given them stuff already that their customers like. And that if I've done that once, I may well do so again.

Any business relationship is a relationship first. Get to know them as people not as 'that lady in the book shop who can do stuff for me'. Then show them what, businesswise, you can do for them.

Anmd like any good relationship - you get out what you put in. If all you put in is 'Here I am!', you won't get much back.

I will almost certainly buy them chocolates on the day too :D

Last edited:

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Oh dear. I hope you haven't burned a bridge with this shop. Since you haven't been in contact with the new owners, you might get yourself a second chance. Use this experience as a lesson learned and try a different approach the next time. Best of luck.

Doctor Shifty

Press Any Key
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.users.tpg.com.au
Suitably chastised, DS resolves to tell his aspergian male brain to get into the back seat next time he goes into the bookshop. Oh yeah, and to take chocolates.

Thanks for the replies, folks. An old bloke like me needs such energy around him. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.