What makes a story charming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scheherazade

Human
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard of stories/novels in workshops or book reviews described as "charming", and I know it when I see it, but what exactly is it that adds charm to the writing? Is it something about the characters? The writing style? The situations?

CheshireCat

Mostly purring. Mostly.
Registered
Reaction score
The answer is D: All (or any) of the above.

IMO, it's largely a matter of taste, like virtually everything else in fiction. I don't think you could work out a formula that produced a "charming" story every time, and I don't think every reviewer/critic would find the same story charming.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I think this thread is for me. ;) Seriously, my real-world writing group is going through my novel in our monthly sessions, and not a meeting goes by that people don't call my story "charming," "endearing," etc. etc.

For me, I think it's a combo of characters and situations. For character, my protag is both extremely vulnerable and determined, with a dash of naivete thrown in. It's impossible not to root for him because he's TRYING SO DAMN HARD. I also like to let the reader feel like they know him a little bit better than he knows himself; when he throws himself into a situation, you almost know approximately what kind of disaster is going to result, even when he doesn't see it coming.

Situationally, I constantly throw him into situations that are awkward or painful. I make the reader wince and sympathize with him, or make you feel like you just want to help him escape. Or at least give him a hug. For example, being completely humiliated in front of a girl you are madly in love with. Or being forgotten by the person who was supposed to give you a ride. Everyone can sympathize with stuff like that.

I think it's also important that the character not be completely awesome. Like, Prince Charmings are not actually charming, if that makes sense. When I think charming, I think Winnie the Pooh, who fits really well into what I described above. He's vulnerable, naive, very friendly, and gets himself into situations that make us laugh and want to hug him at the same time. :)

As for writing style, I'm not sure if it has anything to do with charm. Maybe someone else has some input on this. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.