Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
http://bb.publishamerica.com/viewtopic.php?t=21643

Gotta love this - from pipesmoker:

#3 - If you worry about the never-ending argument concerning PA you will spend a never-ending amount of time that will be totally wasted. The only situation in which you should pay attention to the subject is if it is raised by a bookstore owner or manager. Then explain the difference, but that also may be a waste of time. Your time should be spent writing, not discussing the pros and cons of PA versus self publishing. Only fools can't see the difference but the world is full of fools.
**emphasis mine-

He's got the first half right, but I wonder about the other half. Who, exactly, are the fools?

abemorgantis

Zizban
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Man, you guys have totally gotten me hooked on the PA message board! It 's a good insight into how people can make themselves believe anything. Makes me hope I'm not doing that in some area of my life.

Very interesting read. Although... I feel kind of... dirty.

:e2shower:

Its alos depressing after a while to see the same things written, the same good souls being duped. I stopped reading the PAMB because its so sad.

Mel

Never be completely back to normal.
Registered
Reaction score

Gotta love this - from pipesmoker:

**emphasis mine-

He's got the first half right, but I wonder about the other half. Who, exactly, are the fools?

I like the "your time should be spent writing" when the biggest mantra on the PA board is to get out there and pound the pavement to sell your books. It's like watching a dog chase its tail.

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
I have a problem with a person's logic when they come to the often stated conclusion that writing for magazines and regional newspapers gives them an absolute and unquestionable understanding of how the book publishing industry works. It also amazes me that nobody on the PAMB can spot a flaw in that logic.

Mel

Registered
Reaction score
"#2 - With self publishing you pay anywhere from hundreds to thousands of dollars to have a book published. With PA you pay nothing."

Semantics. What's the difference if I pay $200 to have my book self-published and can sell it for $14.95 or if I use PA and pay nothing to publish it and it costs $24.95? Seriously, I almost laugh out loud anytime someone says PA publishes for free. True, they do not charge for their publishing services, but we still end up paying for it since most of us have to buy our own books since stores won't carry them. Anyone who would pay 'thousands of dollars' to self-publish doesn't know what he's doing and deserves to get ripped off.

Does anyone understand that (some) self-publishing and PA uses the same Print on Demand technology?!?

OP comes back with good response.

"#3 - If you worry about the never-ending argument concerning PA you will spend a never-ending amount of time that will be totally wasted. The only situation in which you should pay attention to the subject is if it is raised by a bookstore owner or manager. Then explain the difference, but that also may be a waste of time."

I guess my point is that why is there this never-ending arguement? I just have some serious questions about PA's reputation and track record in the publishing realm. You can't say that's a waste of time. For my next works, I want to make sure that the publisher I choose does not count against me. It seems that if you look at any of the literary message boards and forums, there is NOT a lot of good PR out there about Publish America. Why is that? Why does PA have to continually defend itself? An author should be able to spend his time promoting and writing - not defending his publisher. At lease with self-publishing everyone knows what they're dealing with up front.

Gutsy guy, but truthful.

"Your time should be spent writing, not discussing the pros and cons of PA versus self publishing."

There are legitimate concerns here though. Why is this topic not worthy of dicsussion on a literary message board?

Well, we know why.

"Only fools can't see the difference but the world is full of fools."

Thanks. I knew this would be par for the course bringing up this topic here, but I'm not trying to put PA down or elevate self-publishing. The publishing world is changing - Self-publishing is not the scourge that it once was, and I'm sorry but PA is not the best thing since sliced bread. Both avenues of publication have their caveats. I understand that PA gave a lot of us our first shot at the literary world (myself included) but that doesn't mean I turn a blind eye to everything else. I've only tried to get some straightforward answers to some honest concerns I have as a writer - sometimes you have to play devil's advocate to get honest answers. Very likely I will be banned from this board in the near future but I want to make it clear that I have only posted factual information at all points of this thread. If anyone can FACTUALLY dispute what has been written here, please tell me. That is why I am writing here.

At least he's not bowing down. And he very well might end up being banned.

Last edited:

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Tell me I'm not reading what I think I'm reading. Please. Someone. Tell. Me.

I think I need my lighter back...

here's the rest of the thread - it does appear the lightbulb is beginning to glow above one head:

What I'd really like to see is someone take PA's income and divide it by the base number for obtaining their best discount and determine an approximation of just how many PA writers ordered their books in quantity from PA.

Yeah, I know there are probably too many variables because of PA's change in the minimum order not too long ago and the problem with getting reliable income numbers for each year, but even taking what PA claimed as income will give some figures that might be interesting. I figure that PA claimed everything it could as income to appear bigger even if their actual profit was smaller.

Mel

Registered
Reaction score
Poof! The one I quoted above is gone and the thread is locked.

e.dashwood

Registered
Reaction score
#3 - If you worry about the never-ending argument concerning PA you will spend a never-ending amount of time that will be totally wasted.

Is this a subtle, coded message that he's reading the "never-ending PublishAmerica thread," and that he's inviting his fellow Pavidians to do the same?

Mel

Registered
Reaction score
I debated posting the entire response, now I'm glad I did.

Is it just me or does more of this stuff come out on the weekend?

Bo Sullivan

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I have a problem with a person's logic when they come to the often stated conclusion that writing for magazines and regional newspapers gives them an absolute and unquestionable understanding of how the book publishing industry works. It also amazes me that nobody on the PAMB can spot a flaw in that logic.

I did but I don't post on the public board because you lot over here capture the threads and make fun of us. Seriously though, I don't post there because all the life has disappeared from the boards with all the bannings. I was banned two years ago. They let me back in last week but all my friends have gone from the boards now. There is no-one left that I know from my day on the PA boards. They have probably all been banned for voicing their opinions on the same old scenarios that occur. The only posters left are the 'yes' people.

They run a tight ship on the PA boards and yes all the interesting threads disappear very quickly, and all the life is edited out of the posts.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
They run a tight ship on the PA boards and yes all the interesting threads disappear very quickly, and all the life is edited out of the posts.

... all the truth is edited out of the posts.

Is this a subtle, coded message that he's reading the "never-ending PublishAmerica thread," and that he's inviting his fellow Pavidians to do the same?

IMO, pipe smoker believes the poster is reading AW's threads, and he is letting the poster know he knows where he's getting his information. He's saying AW members are wasting their time warning fellow writers about PA. He's basically calling us fools. My interpretation, which may or may not be correct.

e.dashwood

Registered
Reaction score
He does have a link on his web-site to Preditors & Editors on his web page.

I think he knows the score.

He does give one good piece of advance, the conventional wisdom that writers should keep on writing (although he omits not to submit to PA).

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
He honestly doesn't care. Really. He's happy being where he's at, and doesn't understand how other people aren't. He's bored of the whole PA thing, but has yet to understand that other people don't really know as much as he does.

He insists most people don't know anything about publishing. MOST, right, Dick? We already had that discussion. Honestly he's not a bad chap, just a little misguided at times. Different priorites at his age.

Afinerosesheis

The One and Only Romantiac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I did but I don't post on the public board because you lot over here capture the threads and make fun of us. Seriously though, I don't post there because all the life has disappeared from the boards with all the bannings. I was banned two years ago. They let me back in last week but all my friends have gone from the boards now. There is no-one left that I know from my day on the PA boards. They have probably all been banned for voicing their opinions on the same old scenarios that occur. The only posters left are the 'yes' people.

From one banned soul to another, count your blessings. There are plenty of nice people here to make up for the friends you have lost touch with over there. They might make fun of us LOL :D, but I have really enjoyed the people here and have been welcomed properly.

He honestly doesn't care. Really. He's happy being where he's at, and doesn't understand how other people aren't. He's bored of the whole PA thing, but has yet to understand that other people don't really know as much as he does.

He insists most people don't know anything about publishing. MOST, right, Dick? We already had that discussion. Honestly he's not a bad chap, just a little misguided at times. Different priorites at his age.

Good morning, Christine. I hope you have a great weekend!

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
He does have a link on his web-site to Preditors & Editors on his web page.

I think he knows the score.

He does give one good piece of advance, the conventional wisdom that writers should keep on writing (although he omits not to submit to PA).

Except he claims it's all old and outdated. I guess he's calendar-impaired. ;)

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Poof! The one I quoted above is gone and the thread is locked.
That's why I appreciate seeing the PAMB posts shown over here in their entirety, so there is a permanent written record of PA's deceit and censorship available to all.

Last edited:

Marie Pacha

Still a work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
Speaking of posts over there, does anyone have a copy of the post about M's past that was up in 2005 or before?

Thanks

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duped
I did but I don't post on the public board because you lot over here capture the threads and make fun of us.

You have a valid point here and it's hitting a sore spot with me.

Yes, we post the PAMB threads here and make our comments. I speak for myself, but I don't think anyone here intends to "make fun" of the PA authors en masse. Yes, we try to skewer the individual PAvidians for the misconceptions and outright lies they perpetrate. And certainly the PA management itself, which consists of Miranda, Larry and Willem. They are the *only* ones with any say over there. The rest of the employees there are just meat puppets. The "Author Support Team" and "Infocenter" are the signatures Miranda and Larry hide behind in order to control the crowd with their insults and innuendoes of author stupidity.

What is NOT meant is to skewer the innocent: the woman who writes a children's story for her grandkids, or a cookbook; the WWII vet that writes his memoirs; the numerous self-help or inspirational poetry writers who want to share their view of the world. Most of these folks do not get embroiled in the PA controversies or are not aware of them. Many of them do not care, as long as they can hold their book in their hand. We are not intentionally "making fun" of those writers. We are sorry they are involved with such a smarmy company, but many are happy with what they have, and so be it. There's no need to wrangle with them.

The *criminals* in this scenario are the PA trio itself, and the FEW PAvidians that openly support them and regurgitate the PA propaganda. Those people are fair game, IMO. The difficulty lies in having to constantly assure the readers that the innocent are not to blame. In most cases this is understood, but I can see where your feelings would be hurt to be made fun of, or ridiculed, on this board.

So, for whatever it's worth, I will say again that when we are "making fun" of PA, it's meant for those three individuals and the PAvidians that support them. For the people that are happy with PA, let them stay happy and more power to them.

The main thrust of these discussions is to warn the new author of the pitfalls of signing with PA, and to present a realistic picture to those who want to learn more about PA than they can at the PAMB and PA website.

abemorgantis

Zizban
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Speaking of posts over there, does anyone have a copy of the post about M's past that was up in 2005 or before?

Thanks

What do want to know? The wikipedia article about her is very good:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miranda_Prather

In short: While a student in college, she tried to scam the campus and the town into thinking she was being harassed by a strange woman because she was lesbian. He was convicted of harassment (a misdeamnor) and allowed to go home to where her parents lived in Maryland.

She also tried to scalp Kentucky Derby tickets and was busted.

In short, she is a known scammer and someone who has shown a track record of having no moral character.

She fits PA "like a glove"

Status
Not open for further replies.