Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Because Dante's Inferno only has nine, and writers aren't in any of them. I knew I liked Dante for a reason. :D

This thread is for writers who've discovered a whole new level of paranoia--a book deal. Here's where we can obsess about chew over the entire process from offer to release day to writing the next book.

There's a bar of course, and an espresso machine, and lots of deep, comfortable chairs.

Welcome!

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
I need a drink, and a hot tub. It's freakin' COLD out there!

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Since I was one of the suggesters...suggestees...whatever. Uh. Okay, I'm in the "second book agony" stage of the process. First book not yet released. I need to get a draft of this puppy done in the next couple of weeks. The process has been...mostly ranging from painful to excruciating. I'd worry more about that except that writing the book that sold was pretty tough too. It's more of...because this isn't a series and is only borderline genre...is this an appropriate followup to the book that sold? Does it help establish my "brand"? Is it too different or not different enough? Is the main character too unlikable? If that's part of what the book is about, how do I even address that?

Feh.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
images
images
images
images

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
Ah yes, status updates:

My first book will be out in July. I'm trying to write book 2, which will be due August 1st. I was 3/4s done when I found out The Editor was not as enamored with my plot as I could hope. But that's ok, I wasn't totally in love with it myself.

Today, I spent most of the day figuring out how to fix said plot, without having to write a COMPLETELY new book. I may have it. We'll see.

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
I tend to go straight to the worst case scenario, personally. And it's funny because my experiences so far have been really positive -- with the agent, with the publisher, it really has all been great.

And yet I am absolutely terrified on one level, that I will eff this up big-time. Don't tell anyone.

Like, Tas? That situation you describe? You seem to be handling it brilliantly. If my current book ends up being a big botch, I dunno what I will do. I say that and the funny thing is, I had to do a ton of work on the book that sold to get it out there, and I was pretty okay with that. But maybe it's like childbirth, except the reverse of how you supposedly forget the pain of it and that's why you're willing to do it again. I am great at remembering the pain and fear part! Not so much the positive outcome.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I was outlining book 2 when I talked to The Editor today. Before the vision meeting she said edits to her mid-April. After the meting: they want me to cut 10K and get it to them by mid-March. *gulp*

Seems I'm a little extreme for them, and I need to tone down the climactic scene. I can handle that. Heck, I can handle just about anything.

Sleep is for the weak, right?

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
That's not too bad, actually. I think in a way with editorial revisions it's better to have a tighter deadline and just get them done, rather than having too much time to think about it. I feel like the place where you really need as much time as you need is in the first draft.

My whole editorial process was pretty fast and I'm glad about that.

I would think about buying that espresso maker though!

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
You can sleep when you're dead.

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
You notice I'm really chatty here? Heh. That's interesting, Lily -- I'd love to know why your climax was too much. Er, is that a pork chop?

I had a lot of fun with the violent scary scene i just did, I have to admit. I worry about myself.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I have to stop coming in, in the middle of conversations-:tongue

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
You can sleep when you're dead.

Absolutely.
images

You notice I'm really chatty here? Heh. That's interesting, Lily -- I'd love to know why your climax was too much. Er, is that a pork chop?

I had a lot of fun with the violent scary scene i just did, I have to admit. I worry about myself.

In white for the squeamish: The stalker and her brother (the bad guy behind the scenes) drug and kidnap the client, and tie him to the MC's bed. MC comes home, and the brother grabs her, strips her, and traps her on the floor, making her watch the sister effectively rape the drugged client. Then the brother attempts to penetrate the MC with this snake belt buckle of his (long and creepy story), but MC (who's gotten an arm free) breaks his nose and fights off the sister, who has a knife.)

I can see their point, esp since they so far pub things leaning to cozy. But my editor :LilLove: likes it and is working with me to keep the toning down to a minimum.

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
I like a little "ick." Was having a discussion about this off-thread -- how do you handle violence without going too far? What's effective? It's tough to do.

I don't know whether they would mention it or not but I think that there's a tendency...I mean, how many books have you read with (I will put this in white to avoid spoilers) some kind of sexual violence committed against women? Many. Most serial killer books. Sexual violence committed against men? Not so much. Men can have the crap beaten out of them or get killed or what have you but treat them in a way that "feminizes" them (I hope my meaning is clear here) and it can really flip people out.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Maybe, Lisa. But the client thinks he's God's Gift and is generally a tomcatting scumbag. He's Teflon, tho, and will come out of this just fine. He does get a smidge of respect for the MC after she saves his bacon. Not much more than a smidge. :rolleyes:

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Snork! Well, I can't wait to read it. I have mentioned my mystery love before, have I not?

ETA: and in case I wasn't clear, I love that kind of role reversal, just because it does tweak peoples' expectations.