Kind of a n00b question.

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
I just started teaching myself keyboard and I'm a little confused about Slurs & Legato. How do I apply Legato? What should it sound like? The book I am using isn't too clear on it.

Yeah, like I said, a total n00b question. I've never played an instrument in my life.

Thanks for the help.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Legato is basically playing the notes so they flow and blend smoothly. This is done by holding each note until the next is played and making sure not to start each note harshly. It's the opposite of staccato where is note is struck sharply and released before the next one is played. That's the general idea.

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up, III. So if the slur connects a note from, let's say measure 1, to a note in measure 4, does that mean I hold that note until the fourth measure?

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Oops, sorry, I didn't notice your post. But yes, you're correct, the notation means to hold the note that long. It's kind of like a plus sign in mathematics since, if a note lasts longer than the measure there's no way to say "hold this eight beats", it says "hold it four beats this measure and continue holding it four beats in the next measure".