What is the world coming to??

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Sometimes, it's just fun. Sometimes, I don't want a message or a moral in my song anymore than I want a message or a moral in my movies or my books. Sometimes.

And don't kid yourself, songs are no more and no less about drugs, sex, and boredom than they were since Elvis Presley. There are plenty of songs that don't touch on those subjects.

You want some songs about war or such? Try Capital G by NIN (the band contends that it's not about George Bush, but it could be applied that way) or try Handlebars by the Flobots. Or try Yo George by Tori Amos.

You don't have to like what your sister listens to. Pop music-- Like Katy Perry's current song-- is meant to be catchy. Most people don't give ANY thought to what the lyrics are. They just sing along and it's fun. Like the girls... maybe about your age ;-) who sang along with Tittney, I mean, Brittany Spears singing "I'm not that innocent" and her other good girl/bad girl songs with the sultry lips and an the f-ing school girl skirt.

My two cents. You don't have to agree. Songs are not the problem-- they don't make people act a certain way. People act they way for other reason. As Eminem says "Can music load a gun and cock it too? If so tell the judge it's my fault, and I'll get sued." Music can affect us, but it cannot make our decisions for us.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, I like what Clar said, but at the same time, I agree with you. It's much like TV shows for me. Right now, my husband and I don't have to think about it because we don't have kids. But sometimes, we watch something, and they use a curse word or allude to sex or drugs - and sometimes like on Family Guy, there's no alluding. it's crude, and we look at each other like, "Really? did they just say that? At 9pm on a Sunday night?"

When I was little, and I wanted a new tape, my dad would make me write an essay about what each song was about. It didn't have to be a long essay, but he wanted me to think about the lyrics and understand what they were about. And he wanted to make sure they were appropriate for me to listen to. Now, though I do think that's a bit too far, I think that adults should be aware of what their children are listening to. It's up to them what is appropriate or not.

And if you don't like the song, don't listen to it. There are plenty of real songs out there

Fillanzea

Registered
Reaction score
I'm over being shocked at what the world is coming to. Sex and violence? How about listening to some old-time ballads? They get as lurid as anything we have now.

Reaction score
I know the newest songs are all about sex, drugs, alcohol etc. But do the singers or writers ever care to think who listens to them.

Like that song 'I kissed a girl'

my sister dances around her room singing it, it’s saying changing your mind from one sex to the other is appropriate. I do not agree.

If someone was 100% heterosexual listening to bubblegum pop wouldn't suddenly turn them into a raging, hairy-leggity bulldyke lezzer.

Songs should be about expressing real feeling and issues.

Guess what - liking girls can be a real feeling or issue!

Not that I'm saying Katy Perry is singing in-depth, soul-searching ballads, but, you know...I'm not all that threatened by her songs because I'm not that insecure in my sexuality that I see kissing girls as the highway to hell.

Even if it is, it's nothing to do with those people who don't kiss girls.

Unless they're boys...

If there is war going on singing about it, helps.

Kissing girls = bad
War = good?

Gotcha.

Put all the pain, fear and hurt into a song and it means something.

I don't want to listen to girls kissing other because they are bored, what a load! Why can't people sing real songs, which are not based around drinking and being bad?

I have a simple solution for you. All those songs you don't like? Don't listen to them.

And listen - like her or not, Katy Perry (and others, for I suspect you're not just picking on her) does sing 'real' songs. They have music and lyrics. Hence, 'real' song. It's just that you don't like them. Fair enough. Each to their own. But what you don't have the right to do is say her work is somehow not real. What you mean is - you don't like it. And that's okay. You're allowed to not like it.

What ever happened to the worst thing a teenager wanted to do was wear a different lipstick or sing in a play??

And it rained skittles and trees were made of candyfloss...:rolleyes:

Now its, 'Just because the song acts like being bisexual is the trend' and then they say something along the lines of 'it's cool'. Suddenly sex is an object rather than a purpose. What ever happened to having fun and being a girl and not being so caught up in being with the crowd? I will admit these songs are catchy, but in my opinion they are really meaningless...

Yeah, that's the point. Your opinion.

Now, whether you just don't like the songs, or it's the subject matter you object to, I don't know. I have my suspicions. But if someone wants to kiss a girl just because they heard it in a song, maybe that desire was already in them.

I've never kissed a girl because Katy Perry told me to. On the occasions I have, it's been because I felt like it.

Personally, I'm secure enough in my sexuality and lifestyle to not feel threatened by a song advocating kissing someone of the same sex and I really can't believe a grown-up would object so strongly to music they could just choose not to listen to.

Hell, I can't stand Mariah Carey. So here's the trick: I don't buy her CDs. I think that would apply to any form of music or any form of entertainment, come to that.

what’s your opinion

Up there.^^^ :)

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
My personal beef with that song is it plays to the male fantasy of lipstick lesbians rather than having anything truly valid to say. But so what - it's music for the masses, and its shelf-life is limited.

There's no need to stress over songs you don't like, rather just don't listen to them.

Besides, sex and drugs and rock n' roll is hardly a recent thing, Lola.

Reaction score
I've just consulted with my good friend Brian and he says guyliner and lipstick lesbians are on his list of 'cool'.

The Molko has spoken.

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
I've just consulted with my good friend Brian and he says guyliner and lipstick lesbians are on his list of 'cool'.

The Molko has spoken.

Brian Molko is the reason i want to be a man, darling. And i would listen to that kissed a girl song if it was Molko singing I kissed a boy.

So there. ;)

And now that I've veeered waaaaay off topic.

Um.

When i was a teenager I listened to my father's music, and everything was about sex and drugs. It was great.

There, back on topic.

Kinda.