Zellie

Rock like an elk!
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zellie.info
The trailer owns my soul.

Funcom has issues designing games. I just finished The Longest Journey and it was buggy as hell and while Dreamfall (played it first) was improved it had some issues too but I just love Ragnar Tornquist's stories. Even though his storytelling in TLJ could have benefited from some AW boot camp, the soul of it shines through and I'm addicted. I also appreciate his take on MMOs--his interest in designing them for those of us who have lives and can't devote 10 hours a day.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
You know, after Age of Conan and actually playing Anarchy Online, I'm not all that thrilled about a new Funcom game.
2 Words:
Free Trial.

They usually don't release that sort of thing until all the initial bugs are ironed out.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
1 more trailer to go, that we know of anyway.
The Japanese girl is the Dragon Trailer, the next one is Templar, last one is Illumanti.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be interested if it wasn't another goddamn MMO where I'd have to interact with annoying dipshits and pay money for a game I already bought.

Also, Ragnar Tornquist should be chained to a desk until TLJ 3 comes out and we can finish the damn story cause i've been hanging in suspense for years and it HURTS CAUSE I WANNA KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT GODDAMN IT!

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
MMO's are becoming more F2P and Micro-trans.
Still, I don't understand the hate, you're paying that money so that the developer will continue to produce quality replayable content. That's where the true decision lies, if the developer cannot keep producing quality content, then it's a bad MMO. But MMO's like WoW and Runes of Magic(F2P by the way) produce quality content that keeps it worth playing.

Scream at him on his twitter account.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I guess I'm just an old 19 year old crummudgion who hates interacting with other people in my video games.

Zellie

Rock like an elk!
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.zellie.info
From what I understand, it's being designed so you can play it single or multiplayer. You still need an active internet connection to do it, but you're not required to interact. I'm not sure how well all these plans he's got will work out, they're pretty ambitious but I'm hoping for the best.

I do find the pay as you go thing annoying. I understand the whole continuation of content thing but I'm poor T_T monthly fees = me not playing. As it is, I typically buy games when they're used on ebay for $10 instead of the $50-60 release price but a monthly fee doesn't allow me that option to work with.

Oh well, we'll see and man, if anything is going to be worth a monthly fee, this is it. It's like getting the chance to live in Tornquist's head :D

whistlelock

Whiskey Rebel
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow I ended up in Fort Worth. Dunno how that h
They usually don't release that sort of thing until all the initial bugs are ironed out.
Have you been a part of many MMO launches?

The Age of Conan launch (also a funcom game) is now a text book case of what not to do.

Warhammer Online didn't have the majority of its PVP system in place at launch, and pvp 80% of that game.

The "common" wisdom for MMO's is that it takes a year for all the bugs and balance issues to shake out of a game.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Have you been a part of many MMO launches?

The Age of Conan launch (also a funcom game) is now a text book case of what not to do.

Warhammer Online didn't have the majority of its PVP system in place at launch, and pvp 80% of that game.

The "common" wisdom for MMO's is that it takes a year for all the bugs and balance issues to shake out of a game.
I didn't say all, when I say initial I mean all the really serious bugs.
AoC has been pretty much fixed, sub rates on on the rise.
WAR; also part of that launch, system seemed fine to me. WAR launch was actually a very smooth one.
The initial WoW launch period was horribly laggy and there were several other serious issues that had to be resolved.

@Zoombie, most MMO's produced nowadays are designed so that you can reach max level or power through pure solo play. However, the most powerful items(uber loot) almost always requires some form of player cooperation. WoW is a prime example.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Also, Ragnar Tornquist should be chained to a desk until TLJ 3 comes out and we can finish the damn story cause i've been hanging in suspense for years and it HURTS CAUSE I WANNA KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT GODDAMN IT!

This. A thousand times this.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Though, Dreamfall is an odd game for me. Kian was my favorite character (other than Crow) and his discussions with April about freedom, religion, duty and so on were fucking AMAZING.

...but his chapters also had the most combat. And the combat was like getting a dental drill jammed up your nose.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, the combat sucked ass, along with the "stealth" stuff. :(

Crow was awesome. :D

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
That in-game trailer, a bit late, sorry. :S
Now I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I saw a person moving while using an ability in that video. Gives me hope for dynamic combat movements.

London Trailer
I've been bouncing between Templars and Dragons since day one. Now I'm leaning more toward Templars. I'll probably play both.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
GDC 2011 info.
The key movement and combat mechanics seem like very much those of any number of MMOs out there, of course, but it was nevertheless it was remarkably dynamic. For example, laying down a field of fire and then luring enemies through it was totally possible for extra fire damage, and enviromental objects caused things to happen in the world – the slightly predictable example of car alarms attracting zombies made the group quest seem a little closer to Left 4 Dead than to World Of Warcraft. It was impressive stuff. Players were thinking about position and movement, and the difference between a melee character and the one standing at the back with a rifle was really clear. Convincing game design went much further than combat, too, with things like the cues for quests being in the world, rather than being the next NPC, or in the next flashing arrow. Tracking one of the monsters entailed finding flocks of ravens and seeing in which direction they flew off. Follow the flight of the birds and you’d encounter the next battle with your sinister target. Neat. Smart.
I was also fascinated by the character creation process, which is somehow “circular” rather than vertical. Funcom illustrated this with a “skill wheel”, which showed that while you character gets more skills, and is limited by his faction, he is not limited by class. You will need to progress along certain routes to unlock certain types of skills, yes, but the game is ultimately “flat”. You aren’t levelling up to be miles above newbies in power and hit points, you’re simply becoming a more talented and differentiated character... All that feeds into PvP, of course, which is a domination game all its own, with arenas such as Stonehenge making up fantastical stadiums for the three factions to fight – yes – three way battles for control of the world’s mystical resources. Newbies and experienced contenders will all be able to play together, thanks to The Secret World’s experience structure.
the most interesting thing about The Secret World are the investigation quests. These are fascinating, leaky game systems that do more than ask you to collect mystery meats from fallen foes. Funcom showed us a group of players taking such a quest and then looking around in the world for clues. In this case it was a series of symbols on buildings, manhole covers and other elements across a town. Tracking these down allowed them to uncover some secret doorways in one of the towns houses and this led… to Google? Outside the game? Of course! Why not? By being set in the real world, The Secret World is able to draw in real-world elements. To solve the quest in this instance the players needed to actually do their research and find out about the characters – real world characters – who are involved in the conspiracy. These fed back into the game’s fiction, and ultimately to the resolution of the quest.
Not that this stuff is even essential to progress within the game world, either. These quests that require you to do a bit of research and to stretch your imagination beyond the build of your character are simply there for extra colour. You can get along just fine following your own character’s personal story and slaying monsters, if that’s what you want.
Also, GDC trailer.

I'm excited all over again. :)

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Site has gotten a serious face-lift and some great new tidbits: notable NPCs, monsters, locations, etc. It's pretty awesomesauce.

P.S. There will be undead dinosaurs at some point, I love Nadia's design to bits, and I still can't decide if I prefer Templar or Dragons...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.