Greetings!

Kyle A. Sargent

Registered
Reaction score
Hello All. I am known as Kyle A. Sargent. A rather formal title for an informal personality, but the juxtaposition is humorous to me.

I am writing a science fiction/fantasy series, so far I am eleven books deep in my outline, though I have the first book written. I am highly motivated in finding the most direct and efficient path in becoming published. I am also, equally motivated in becoming part of a community of writers becoming published and successful in a craft, they too, love so much.

I have only two questions for anyone willing to listen. What is the quickest, and best, route in getting my story corrected or edited? And, what is the best way in finding representation?

Thank you all for your time, and I look forward in becoming a member of this community.

RobertEvert

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robertevert.com
Hello All. I am known as Kyle A. Sargent. A rather formal title for an informal personality, but the juxtaposition is humorous to me.

I am writing a science fiction/fantasy series, so far I am eleven books deep in my outline, though I have the first book written. I am highly motivated in finding the most direct and efficient path in becoming published. I am also, equally motivated in becoming part of a community of writers becoming published and successful in a craft, they too, love so much.

I have only two questions for anyone willing to listen. What is the quickest, and best, route in getting my story corrected or edited? And, what is the best way in finding representation?

Thank you all for your time, and I look forward in becoming a member of this community.

Great name!!

Boy, those are two great questions...and not easily answered here. There are entire threads talking about editing and getting an agent.

But from my experience, there isn't a quickest AND best route. It takes time. LOTS and LOTS of time!! :)

I got my agent through the person who edited my work. Some people seem to like to go to writer's workshops and conferences.

Hope that helps!!!

Welcome!

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Water Cooler!

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome. Eleven books outlined? That's pretty ambitious.

Eric Smart

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Kyle,

Welcome to AW.

In answer to your questions my opinion is: Find a critique group of writers in your area or/and wait until you have posted 50 posts to have your work critiqued by other members of AW.

To get published you need to have your writing the best you can make it, which means you have do multi edits. You have to know all the rules of POV and telling and showing etc. Look on Amazon to find 4 & 5 star writing books and read to learn. Look on the sites at AW that give tips on writing.

All this done then googlel sites to get background on suitable agents and send your submissions according to the rules they stipulate. Check how to write a terrific query letter.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Eric

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. Take some time to greet fellow newbies,
critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: You'll find tons of great info around the board but the very best advice anyone can give you right now is patience. You'll need it. :)

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Kyle!

Welcome to AW!

Don't forget to read about AW basics in the Newbie Guide!

Questions about the forum software can be found in the FAQ's menu in the handy blue bar at the 'top' of this page.

This common acronym list helps identify our mystifying abbreviations.

Before you ask that Newbie question!!

See if Katiemac has the answer here.

and check out: Sara's 10 Basic Writing Tips.

If you're looking for critiques please read the 50 Post rule.

Questions about posting writing to the Share Your Work (SYW) area are explained here.

This link covers the most common problems found in the Share Your Work posts.
*Worth reading no matter how long you have been here!*

AW is a community built on the foundations of respecting your fellow writer and helping each other, it's the basic building blocks of how and why AW works.

Welcome to our community! =)

-kelly-

Fun social links:
The Office Party
Kelly's Soft Asylum

Kyle A. Sargent

Registered
Reaction score
This is a weird question but, what is a writing work shop? Do they encompass multiple days and where are they? Time is certainly something I have.

Kyle A. Sargent

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Kyle,

Welcome to AW.

In answer to your questions my opinion is: Find a critique group of writers in your area or/and wait until you have posted 50 posts to have your work critiqued by other members of AW.

To get published you need to have your writing the best you can make it, which means you have do multi edits. You have to know all the rules of POV and telling and showing etc. Look on Amazon to find 4 & 5 star writing books and read to learn. Look on the sites at AW that give tips on writing.

All this done then googlel sites to get background on suitable agents and send your submissions according to the rules they stipulate. Check how to write a terrific query letter.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Eric

That sounds fair to me. I was also wondering if the ads above were actually useful resources or if they were just spam ads? There are some that advertise a professional editor, is that someone worth getting involved with?

WyattEarp

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Kyle

As far as getting your work published, A lot of us wish we had the magic answer to that. Start by going over to Query Letter Hell, or QLH, as it is referred to by the veterans. Unbelievable people doing wonderful things over there. In invaluable resource for those of us hoping to get published.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=174