Freelance Writer and Novelist--Angle to Take With Website?

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This forum has always been really helpful to me. I have some questions about the direction I should take with my website(s). Hopefully someone will know the best thing for me to do because I'm really new at all of this.

Basics are:

I'm a ghostwriter at a content mill as my day job. By night, I'm working hard my novels. I have one near ready for submission and I'm also in the early stages of working on a new scifi/horror series as well as some horror/fantasy short stories. My stories are my world. Finding success with them is my ultimate goal--but of course I must pay the bills in the meantime. Therefore, I've been looking to expand beyond the content mills and get some legitimately decent paying freelance work.

To do this, it seems I will need a blog/website to show clips of my work, post my resume, post my prices, etc. I will need this website to look professional and all that.

I guess what I'm asking is, how should a writer with my goals set up her website? Should I have two websites, one for my freelance business and another blog about my upcoming novels and life as a storyteller?

I'm definitely hesitant to make one blog all about me, because my novels are different from my freelance work. I write about health, insurance, business, SEO, medical stuff, etc for money. My novel subject matter includes sex, drugs, counter culture, zombie horror, alien invasions, etc.

Do I even need a blog about my novels if they aren't published yet? The only reason I think I might is I keep seeing these short-story contests that claim the winner will get a link to their blog, free advertisement, etc. Any short stories I write will be a similar style to my novels (adult subjects, etc) so I don't see the benefit of linking back to my freelance blog. At the same time, if I were to make a blog for my upcoming novels, I'd have no idea what to put on it...? But it seems I would need one, because on the off chance I actually won one of these contests, it seems like a lost opportunity to not have a website.

Sorry for rambling on forever. I'm just confused because of having multiple identities in the writing world. I was thinking maybe I could use my full legal name for my freelance stuff and my shortened nickname (which is the real name I go by in everyday life) as my novelist identity.

What do you think? Do I need two websites? What's my best bet for helping both aspects of my writing career as much as I can?

Motley

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Should I have two websites, one for my freelance business and another blog about my upcoming novels and life as a storyteller?

Yes.

Your situation sounds pretty much the same as mine.

Your freelance work, and possibly name, is a different business altogether than your fiction one. Keep 'em separated.

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Cool. Thanks guys. That was what I was hoping because it would be much easier.

As far as the novelist blog goes, I guess I'll be looking to make something like this:

http://www.carrieryan.com/index.php

She's a young adult writer, but some of her subject matter is similar to mine (maybe a little more PG rated).

The question I have now is, what should I put on a blog of this type if I have no publishing credits? I know what to do with my freelance blog--it's really the novelist blog that's confusing me. Can I just blog about my life as a writer and my attempts at getting published? Or is it simply pathetic-looking to set up a blog for myself when I'm still in the early stages of being a writer?

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Another vote for two separate sites.

As far as a blog goes, it's never too early to start one. But you probably shouldn't take my advice, as I've been neglecting my blog for months :)

andiwrite

Registered
Reaction score
What sort of things do you put on your blog? I've viewed a lot of blogs of successful novelists, but I've yet to see one for an aspiring writer.

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
I decided to keep my blog focused on writing-related topics, but a bit of personal life stuff inevitably crept in. I've seen other writers who blog about everything and have a larger following as a result, but I wanted mine to be more focused.