Status
Not open for further replies.

silver76

Living the Dream (Nightmare)
Registered
Reaction score
woot mercy!
woot kellion!
kellion rep me the publisher if you dont mind...congrats! middle-men be damned ;)

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Silver, I still wish I had a middle man, but they all declined this particular role. If by some crazy longshot chance I happen to get an offer, I will come knocking on their doors again, and not to neener.

Last edited:

MercyMe

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the words of support.

One meeting down. One to go. It's really weird being in this position. Reminds me of the first ever parent-teacher meeting I had. The teacher was telling me and my husband about our kid and we were nodding and smiling and looking serious, thinking "why is she telling us this stuff?" Quite a shock to realize that this little kid we'd been goofing around with was going out into the world and being judged.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
One more cheer for Mercy! :D

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Look, a new thread started by a Pitizen! How'd I miss this? Off I go to catch up . . .

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Look, a new thread started by a Pitizen! How'd I miss this? Off I go to catch up . . .

Welcome, Word! Needed a place to be Sunshiney without the light speed of purgatory or the bite of the Pit's hellhounds. ;)

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Woot to Vandel, Kellion and mercy!

I just did something unbelievably stoopid!

I am querying 2 very different novels- at the same time-
when an agent for novel two expressed interest I ( here comes the stoopid part) sent her the partial for novel one-

I realized what I did, tried to explain without sounding like an idiot and sent her the correct partial-

What's done is done she will either reject me outright, or reject the writing or like what she reads enough to forgive the mistake-

*sigh*

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Woot to Vandel, Kellion and mercy!

I just did something unbelievably stoopid!

I am querying 2 very different novels- at the same time-
when an agent for novel two expressed interest I ( here comes the stoopid part) sent her the partial for novel one-

I realized what I did, tried to explain without sounding like an idiot and sent her the correct partial-

What's done is done she will either reject me outright, or reject the writing or like what she reads enough to forgive the mistake-

*sigh*

Or better yet, she'll like it so much she'll want to represent both! Here's to hoping!

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
I like your attitude! Is that allowed in the pit?

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Nope. Sunshine is never allowed in the Pit, but here in the SPit Shine, no problem. ;)

And along that note, I got a request today!!! WOOT!

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
Nope. Sunshine is never allowed in the Pit, but here in the SPit Shine, no problem. ;)

And along that note, I got a request today!!! WOOT!
WOOT! congrats!!! (don't send the wrong partial:tongue)

Wordwrestler

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Congrats, Mercy, Vandal, and Kelly!

Kelly, I'm amazed at the number of editorial requests you've been getting. Keep at it.

My tiny bit of good news is a nice new Amazon review that appeared today for Linked. It was a pleasant surprise.

ETA: Yay, Snappy!

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Yay for the request, Snappy! And Shea -- may she like both novels!

And yay for the review, Word!!!!

ETA: Thanks, Word. It doesn't feel like anything will happen but a slim chance is better than none.

Last edited:

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Shea! Querying two novels at once is challenging. Been there, done that.

Snappy, yay!

Word, woohoo for a good review!

SteveCordero

Pit Livin' & Purgatory Dreamin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stevencordero.com
I went to my first SCBWI NYC seminar last night and it was awesome. It was run by one of the 2 Gr33nw1ll0w acquiring editors and she did a presentation on voice. She used examples on picture books, MG and YA.

As she explained it, voice contains 3 things: (1) language, (2) structure, and (3) imagery/themes.

Language entails (a) vocabulary, (b) syntax, (c) rythm, and (d) tone

Structure includes (a) how things put together, (b) plot, (c) dialogie, (d) characters, and (e) pacing

Imagery/themes entails (a) metaphors/similes/hyperbole (b) symbolism, (c) emotional themes, and (d) worldview.

She suggested that writers find their own "authorial voice", the voice of the author in the way you write and with each project have a "narrative voice" depending n the story you want to tell. With authorial voice, the reader should know whose writing the book regardless of narrative voice. It's sorta like who you are shining through.

One of the interesting demonstrations she did was she took a book excerpt and stripped it of it's voice and compared it to the original so we can cleary see what brought it alive. The passage, absent voice, read more like reporting something. That was helpful, because my early drafts seem like that, LOL.

She also suggested just getting the story out first in the 1st draft and then adding voice in revisions. This way you have the story you want and then through revisions you can tell it as you want.

Finally, although GW doesn't take unsolicited submissions, she invited submissions from those who attended the seminar. This is not the first time I heard of that. So for writers of Picture Books, MG, YA make sure you join the SCBWI and go to your local events. There are SCBWI chapters all over the country.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Steve, sounds like you had a great time and learned a lot. SCBWI is a wonderful organization. If you're a PB, MG or YA writer, definitely join.

kenpochick

I should be writing, not on AW.:-)
Registered
Reaction score
Just got this in a full request: "I absolutely love your writing voice and am eager to keep reading!" Fingers crossed she liked the whole ms as much as she liked the first ten pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.