The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

HappyCamper

I lurk, therefore I am
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, all! Still haven't found time to catch up. Mr. H.C. surprised the family with a trip to Singapore. We're leaving tomorrow and I still have a ton of things to do. Hugs to those who need it! Gotta dash - have to pack! :)

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, all! Still haven't found time to catch up. Mr. H.C. surprised the family with a trip to Singapore. We're leaving tomorrow and I still have a ton of things to do.

That's a heck of a surprise. Have a great time!

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Where's home, HC? I seem to remember you posting something about being far away from the literary conferences that others were mentioning, on the other side of the world Australia?

ChelseaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
So, I'm nearly finished reading the entire thread (that's right, nearly 500 pages!!!). It's been so enlightening and inspiring. I've gained more inside knowledge on the process from this one thread than from any agent or editor blog online. Thanks, Thread Originator! (was it Lily?) Now I don't feel so alone in this process...

Even though it's been done before in the thread sporadically, I'd love to know how long it took those of you with book deals (both pending and already-done), from submission to firm offer. I know the length of time really varies, but it would be interesting to see those stats all in one place. Thanks ahead of time...

kathleea

Card-carrying Geek
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kathleensallen.weebly.com
hmm...I thought that once you got an agent it was all downhill from there but my eyes were opened when the editor thought my book needed so much of a rewrite they dropped me! Ouch. Funny how the agent loved it at first. I know that its the luck of the draw, lots of talent out there, just be strong and keep sending stuff out and don't let the rejections get to you.

YAwriter72

someone let me off this crazy ride
Registered
Reaction score
We all live under the same sky, but we don't all h
Website
www.leebross.com
I got 4500 words in 3 1/2 hours today by going to the coffee shop where my hubs works and just writing! He brought me lunch and coffee and dessert and I was uber productive! Writing block officially chopped into kindling! :)

Only about 10k eft of this rewrite, then I can edit and send it back to my agent. Hopefully this round will be "the one"!!

coryleslie

Has anyone seen the sun?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corrinejackson.com
I got 4500 words in 3 1/2 hours today by going to the coffee shop where my hubs works and just writing! He brought me lunch and coffee and dessert and I was uber productive! Writing block officially chopped into kindling! :)

Only about 10k eft of this rewrite, then I can edit and send it back to my agent. Hopefully this round will be "the one"!!

Yay! Keep at it, woman!

ChelseaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
(((Kathleea))) I'm so sorry to hear it...

I wanted to pass along Rachel Gardner's blog post today - I think it's fitting in a thread like this (the notion that, at this stage in the process (having an agent), it's not a question of whether we CAN write, but whether factors such as luck, timing, competition, will make a difference either way, for our success): link

Yep, I *heart* American Idol...what a great comparison to the publishing industry. At this point (last night's show, 60 contestants), the contestants have all been whittled down and moved through the process, chosen among thousands. They can ALL sing. But there are only 24 slots available, so the judges have to weigh their decisions carefully. It's amazing how subjective their decision-making is (much like the publishing biz, no?). Last night, I was so mad they let one guy go, but chose someone else I thought wasn't NEARLY as good. Hmm.

Last edited:

tracythewriter

Registered
Reaction score
{{Katheea}}

YAY YAWriter72!!! Such a great feeling!

My WIP has taken on a life of its own. I've never had a ms GROW this much (like by 30k) in the revision process. Only three more new scenes to write and then the story will be "complete" and I can start working on actually revising what's there! I can't wait! Switching between editing brain and drafting brain for the past three months has given me whiplash. ;-)

Thanks for the link, Chelsea! Love that analogy...a good reminder that it's not always just about talent. Sometimes you really can't take the tough breaks personally. I've seen a lot of people talk about how the only successful authors are the PERSISTENT ones...that at the end of the day it's a lot more about showing up every day to work than any innate talent one might have. Just gotta keep writing and putting it out there, until all the stars align just right! :)

dgrintalis

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl
Registered
Reaction score
Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark
:) I'm back to the "I really like this book" point again! So much better than "this books sucks!"

That is awesome! A :snoopy: for you!!

I've been working on a new WIP that I started about a year ago. It got waylaid by the MC of Paper Tigers who demanded I tell her story first, so I did. But I have fallen in love with the old/new WIP all over again, and it's such a good feeling. :)

MadDabbler

Clearly confused and adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisetompkins.net
Hello everyone. I've been absent for a while but wanted to pop in and say "hi" to all the new names. **waves** And COREY? WOOT! WOOT! So incredibly happy for you!

I've been scheduled with a neurosurgeon Monday re: having several vertebrae in my spine fused. It's been a while since fear grabbed me in a stranglehold but I'm there. I'll be in and out for a while, but know I'm still cheering for each of you!

Status
Not open for further replies.