How'd You Find This Site?

SilverVistani

Registered
Reaction score
A friend

A good online friend of mine referred me to this forum. I truly hope that it will be fun and helpful.

After all, I trust my friend to know a good place when she sees one. ~.^

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
I came across AbsoluteWrite while looking up PublishAmerica. I lurked for a fair while enjoying the funny posts and am still getting caught up. I quit lurking and registered when I got a good look at how PublishAmerica treated its customer authors. Since then I've discovered many more interesting things here.
Komnena

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
I was researching "prejudice against the passive voice" on message boards. Google got me here. I read a whole number threads, then registered to reply to one of them (the posts now online; I hope it's not too rantish ;) ).

Hakiru

Registered
Reaction score
Hello colorguard_14 and licity-lieu! Welcome to AW!

formlit

Registered
Reaction score
I did a google to find this website. Actually, I saw an artical and this place was linked to it so I followed and I saw and I decided to stay. Also, I thought I saw Cathy C post somewhere and I thought maybe Cathy C was short for Cathy Clamp, whose stories I love, which is one of the reasons I stayed.

Sandy J

In a state of denial...
Registered
Reaction score
Newbie here...

Hi! You folks popped up on a friend's blog, so I wanted to see what's shaking. It's nice to have a place to talk to other mutants who spend as much time on a laptop as I do!

dnrlee

Registered
Reaction score
I found it in the Writers Digest magazine. I'm so glad I did!

Koobie

Super Duper Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tyrovogel.com
A person who goes under the handle Persiphone_Hellecat (and is apparently banned here) mentioned it on Yahoo! Answers as a good site to get relatively qualified crits. :)

Anne Lyle

Fantastic historian
Registered
Reaction score
Cambridge, UK. Or 1590s London. Some days it's har
Website
www.annelyle.com
Ironically, it was via a thread on another forum (Forward Motion) asking which other writing sites people use, and why. I investigated some of the other members' lists and found myself here.

I've been a member of Forward Motion for over 3 years, and although they're great for motivation, challenges and so on, sometimes there's not much discussion going on in the forums that cover my interests. I'd read Jenna's book "Outwitting Writer's Block" and found it very helpful, so when I saw she was the founder of this site I felt confident I'd meet some interesting and knowledgeable people. In future I imagine I will be shuttling between the two, depending on my needs of the moment and my mood.

OK, I admit it - it's another way to procrastinate :)

writejoe6

How I found this site.

I recently published through Publish America. I noticed the orery banter between PA and Absolute. I love the humor and, since I'm an ornery, humorous, person I joined. I believe that writing is my only source of compulsion these days. The desire to get published over-ruled my sense of proper decorum, and I went with whoever would publish me without sticking it to me! Perhaps, I am deceived!
Let's hope I can get some real help since I know nothing about the business of business. I am a corporate hate-monger; these people who are in it for the 'bread' revile me. I'm in it for the fun!
So, here I am!
Joe

Tkibler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thedeepsheet.com
My story is probably not much different from many others, who fell easy prey to the calculated seduction. If I dare think back and relive the events that led to this time and place, it is all too clear that I really had no control, for they must have seen or somehow sensed my distant approach, laid the trap, the lure which I fell for that appears to allow no voluntary release.

It was an evening much like any other: I’d wandered from the quiet rural lane I call home and found myself in the city. I’d limited myself to a few locations that I knew, where the mods knew me, knew I was a poor peasant boy relegated to dial-up and my pockets didn’t carry the fastest connection speeds, but they’d gotten to know me and knew I was a decent guy. So they’d slip me a few web-shots on the house and if I had something extra in my folders I’d donate to their paypal tip jar.

I don’t know what came over me, why I did it. Guess I felt I should try ways and routes that I’d passed or neglected, take a chance, spice things up. Reach for reminders that you’re a freewill human who can make conscious independent choices. Get out of the redundant ruts.

So I went down a side alley that I usually passed right by, in fact I don’t think I ever noticed it before. It was like it was ‘put there’ by someone or something. I guess it was the AW neon that caught my attention. I didn’t know what the initials stood for, only that the first association that came to mind was root beer. I used to love root beer as a teenager, but you don’t see many malt shops any more, and the more I envisioned a tall frosted mug of thick-headed root beer, I wanted some, wanted it bad.

First thing I noticed when I walked in was that I couldn’t see much because of the dimmest lighting, but I smelled chocolate chip cookies. I followed the scent through a narrow corridor, barely aware of the door closing behind me. Somewhere in the density of the chocolate chip reverie I heard a latch lock but the implications only patted my back, more soothant than warning.

I finally reached what looked like a formal foyer, where I first saw the people, heard some welcoming words; and before I could make distinctions and connections, someone approached me with a tray of cookies, the chocolate chips. I took one and the first bite was like a warm cream splashing against my cheeks and sliding down my throat. I must have looked like a love-starved mongrel the way I gobbled the entire cookie, but she only smiled back and gestured that I take another. But as I looked again around the room, the cookie dropped out of my hand back onto the tray as in a haze she backed away, and I felt my body floating downward, hitting the carpeted floor like a sack of feathers where I lost consciousness.

When I woke up I was laying on a sofa, a thick pillow cradling my head, the surroundings were still dark, but I could tell it was a different room, smaller. When I looked around I couldn’t help think it looked somewhat cell-like. Or it was the feeling. I dunno, I still can’t get the right word. The single door had a small window up high, like the kind you see in movies when they lock away lunatics, but want to see inside, note their behavior. Except those are square and this one was round, more like the door to a restaurant kitchen than a cell.
Over in a corner there was a table with a typewriter, a desk with a computer, and a small coffee table, set in front of a love seat; on the table was a stack of paper and a mug filled with pens.
I looked down at my legs to make sure they were still intact and I swear I don’t know what I’d done if Kathy Bates would’ve appeared at the door.

Well I see I’ve been rambling... guess I could go on but that’s pretty much what happened.
Guess I could tell about what happened when I finally left the cell, the first experiences, the close-calls, and ultimately how I came to understand that once the AW seduces you, you’re pretty much here for good but it ain’t so bad, the quick but lasting consummation. But some of it might be too intense for tender minds.

Besides, I hear a blog clacking it’s heels down the hall.
It’s expecting dinner and dancing tonight.

AllWrite4Now

Registered
Reaction score
Re-New to this Site...

I forgot my original user name. I'd previously been a member a couple of years ago. I think I used my real name, L. Storm Turner, but was unsuccessful logging in with that. I thought they'd dumped everyone out at one point and started charging a fee.