• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Writers House

Melissa_Marr

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melissa-marr.com
I'm gonna jump on the Assistant-Love Bandwagon, and say that Jennifer Escott (Merrilee Heifetz's assistant) is really lovely also!

Agreed! Jennifer & Merrilee are both absolutely wonderful. I've less than efficient agenting before I switched to Writers House, but I've been with Merrilee for a couple yrs now & am still astounded. Merrilee & Jennifer both take such very good care of me that I can't say enough good about them.

AuntB

Registered
Reaction score
Agreed! Jennifer & Merrilee are both absolutely wonderful. I've less than efficient agenting before I switched to Writers House, but I've been with Merrilee for a couple yrs now & am still astounded. Merrilee & Jennifer both take such very good care of me that I can't say enough good about them.

Thanks Melissa! I have a full out with Merrilee now, and I'd love to work with her. By the way- I just bought a signed copy of Radiant Shadows. Can't wait to read it!

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
Hi All. I sent Daniel Lazar a query yesterday. Got an automated response that he's out of the office until the 28th (?). Got an email from his assistant Stephen Barr today. They're intrigued, and they wanted a full. I sent it. (Duh.)

My genre is erotic paranormal thriller... and I am scared to death. lol!

Last edited:

EagerReader

commaholic and adverb junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Ruth2! Fulls are scary, but fun too!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Jennifer Escott/Merrilee Heifetz requested a partial today. I queried two days ago on June 20.

EagerReader

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck to all of you, Annarkie, Sage and Ruth2!

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck you guys!!

Just got the big R from Steve Malk. All in all it took a little over 3 weeks. He was so nice though!

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Awww, sorry Roly. Steve Malk is a class act - my motivation for finishing the next book is so that I can query him again!

EagerReader

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry Roly! And I agree Beckstah, he and his assistant are so considerate. I have a revised full out with him and am waiting in agony to hear back. I'm not too confident, but certainly am hopeful.

ejwriter

lurk & learn
Registered
Reaction score
EagerReader, you're not alone! there are a few people i know of (myself included) waiting to hear from steve on revised fulls. i have a hunch he might be a little backed up right now.

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
EagerReader, you're not alone! there are a few people i know of (myself included) waiting to hear from steve on revised fulls. i have a hunch he might be a little backed up right now.

Yeah, I sent in my line edited version and haven't heard back yet. I think he's pretty busy.

EagerReader

Registered
Reaction score

Thanks for the heads up, I'll just sit back and relax then (or start madly querying if that doesn't work).

EagerReader

Registered
Reaction score
Well, madly querying is my plan. Received my rejection today. Tis unfortunate, but tis life.

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
So sorry, EagerReader! D: At least your manuscript is stronger now?

EagerReader

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure, suffering from post rejection syndrome, I guess. They mentioned it might require "drastic reimagining" so I'm thinking, it sucks. But tomorrow is another day!

Annarkie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
brooklynann.blogspot.com
Received awesome feedback and a request to revise and resubmit the full from Ms. Ginsburg's lovely assistant.
I'm hard at work on "fix-it" notes and hopefully will be diving into the rewrite tonight!

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure, suffering from post rejection syndrome, I guess. They mentioned it might require "drastic reimagining" so I'm thinking, it sucks. But tomorrow is another day!

Oh no! D: If it makes you feel any better, I got one of those "oh my God my book sucks" rejections this week. Here, come share some of my imaginary consolation cupcakes.

Congrats on the R&R, Annarkie!

Oh, by the way! Anyone heard from Rebecca Sherman lately? I queried her at the beginning of May, and nothing yet.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Unless other agents are hinting at how much work it would be (or you're only getting form rejections on your other requests) I wouldn't worry too much about this yet. Sometimes one agent just has a different idea of a book from the query and doesn't get it.

Now when you get a bunch that say something like that (or many of my favorite phrase, "This is a great concept but...."), it's time to think about whether the novel needs more work.