General anime discussion thread

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
It's sort of hard for me to make a comparison, because lately I've been watching practically only anime. But I do get what you folks mean with the connecting thing. I do have the feeling, for example, that anime on the whole gives more love to minor characters, and generally have stronger ensemble casts than many of the western shows I've seen. I hesitate to state any of this as fact, though.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
That's the best part! ;)

Wait, are we talking about the TV-series now? Or End of Eva? Not that it matters much, since I liked both endings (although the TV series ending did drag on a tad, repeating stuff too much).

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
Haha, yeah. If there's anything I'm more ignorant about than anime, it's Western television.

The frequently large casts are something that I'm just now getting used to. Baccano! was impossible the first time I tried it, but after a year or so of watching anime I was able to follow along quite easily. And now it's one of my all-time favorites. :D

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
The frequently large casts are something that I'm just now getting used to. Baccano! was impossible the first time I tried it, but after a year or so of watching anime I was able to follow along quite easily. And now it's one of my all-time favorites. :D

I loved Baccano. :D

Seriously, I've always preferred ensemble shows to hero shows. And I always wanted the comic-relief side-kick to be useful, as a kid. I was often disappointed. Maybe that's one major strike for anime?

I may have only made it through this clip only because of the dub.

Incidently, I've been re-watching some shows lately (Minami Ke, True Tears...), and it's interesting how much more I get now, both culturally and language-wise. For example, Chiaki Minami hanging in the window as live teruteru boozu (sp?) was twice as funny this time round, as I've had time to absorb the custom.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I've been watching an anime called Highschool DxD.
I'm not entirely sure what to make of it.
I think it's a dramatic comedy that's actually working to some extent. Not brilliantly or perfectly, but it's working.
I don't see that too often--understand, this isn't drama with comedic moments interspersed or comedy with a few dramatic moments here and there, it's trying to pull off an equal fusion (IMO).
At first I thought it was going to be a basic comedic ecchi, but every once in awhile (most episodes) we get moments of surprising maturity, not just in the characters but in the entire mood of the show that swings it undeniably towards drama.
Episode 8 is a good example, semi-SPOILERS FOLLOW:

The episode opens with a bit of drama and mystery of the overall plot.
The next bit is devoted to comedic ecchi, and a prime example of this series blatant self-awareness. One of the things this series does is aim camera shots for ecchi in a unusual way at times, like so:
We have the vice-president speaking to the president of a club (both female), and the camera is looking at the girls face from a kind of diagonal-looking-down as she's sitting on the couch. Then the girl stands up and bows to leave the room.
But the camera doesn't move to follow her face and she has a rather short skirt. The series knows what the audience came for, yet we have instances of drama as well where the acchie is still there, but the drama takes an equal amount if not majority of the focus.
Two cases in point from ep.8:
Guy stumbles on girl in bathroom.
Guy stammers and proceeds to leave.
Girl stops guy and asks him to stay and bathe with her (because she's "heard that's a Japanese custom") so they can deepen their relationship. She is straight-up serious, she wants to become closer emotionally to this guy, and she'll take the naked bathing route if it'll work.
The next scene with said guy, another girl appears and, in a very serious fashion, asks him to take her virginity. Her lines are awesome, I quote:
Girl: "Is this your first?"
Guy: "Uh, yeah."
Girl: "Then I'm sure this will be awkward for both of us. Let's just try to work through it."

There was a little more after that, but unlike in most ecchis where this kind of thing occurs, I seriously could have seen a sex scene following this. I knew it wasn't going to happen because it's not a hentai, but I could see it happening--it seemed plausible where so many other series don't when trying to employ a similar situation.

I can't decide if it's actually a good fusion or just really muddled. I enjoy it certainly, but I'm not sure if it's actually well-done.
At times it almost seems that the series should be split in two: one series for the comedic side, and the other for the mature side of it, because the mature sides we get in the dramatic portions are such that they seem out of place in the high-school setting this series uses.
---------------------
I'm tired, so if this ramble confuses anyone, that may be why.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
For anyone following, I finally finished Revolutionary Girl Utena tonight. (Minus the movie yet.)

I loved it, of course.

I'll admit the only thing I wasn't thrilled about was actually retroactive disappointment in that I wish it's ending weren't so similar to Mawaru Penguindrum. Come on, Ikuhara, I admit I love them both, but you could have come up with something newer the second time around.

I may or may not post more in-depth thoughts later on.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I watched Utena as a kid, and even though I could recognize it as being of superior quality, I was lost on a lot of things now that I look back at it.
I should watch it again some day.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
...understand, this isn't drama with comedic moments interspersed or comedy with a few dramatic moments here and there, it's trying to pull off an equal fusion (IMO).
At first I thought it was going to be a basic comedic ecchi, but every once in awhile (most episodes) we get moments of surprising maturity, not just in the characters but in the entire mood of the show that swings it undeniably towards drama.

Here's something odd. I've seen half of the first episode of Highschool DxD and was terribly turned off by the ecchi. Nothing you say surprises me, though. I can see that. Also, it doesn't strike me as terribly unusual. (Not the norm, mind you, but not that rare.) However, when I try to think of examples, I come up empty.

Huh?

[And I still haven't seen more than one episode of Utena; maybe two, I can't remember. It's terribly hard to find. I could buy the first volume of a Dvd in used Dvd store, but what am I going to do with only 4 episodes?]

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Here's something odd. I've seen half of the first episode of Highschool DxD and was terribly turned off by the ecchi. Nothing you say surprises me, though. I can see that. Also, it doesn't strike me as terribly unusual. (Not the norm, mind you, but not that rare.) However, when I try to think of examples, I come up empty.

Huh?
I know what you mean, it seems like dramatic comedies should be fairly common in anime . . .

Snowball2695

Registered
Reaction score
So, I was trying to think back to my childhood the other day (friend nailed me with the damn question out of no where), and I vaguely remember seeing an episode or two of Cowboy Bebop, so I thought I'd go and watch the first episode just for kicks.
Holy. Freaking. Crap.
Is it really just that good, or am I just crazy?

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I've been watching Cowboy Bebop reruns on Adult Swim for so long now that I just can't bring myself to care anymore.
It's a great series, but would it kill them to air something else? Surely there must be some other series worth constant reruns over a period of years?

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
[And I still haven't seen more than one episode of Utena; maybe two, I can't remember. It's terribly hard to find. I could buy the first volume of a Dvd in used Dvd store, but what am I going to do with only 4 episodes?]

I waited until now because it was just remastered and all the new DVDs are out.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
So I started watching Lucky Star. I heard others say it's a show about nothing with no plot, but I doubted them. Boy was I wrong to do that. It really isn't about anything in particular. It's slice of life in its purest form and so far, I'm loving it. It has such great sense of humor. I love the segment they always end on and the opening theme.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
So I started watching Lucky Star. I heard others say it's a show about nothing with no plot, but I doubted them. Boy was I wrong to do that. It really isn't about anything in particular. It's slice of life in its purest form and so far, I'm loving it. It has such great sense of humor. I love the segment they always end on and the opening theme.

Welcome to slice-of-life anime.

Have you seen Azumanga Daioh? Did you watch Nichijou? And there's the currently-airing Daily Lives of High School Boys. I'd say K-On!, too, but I supposed it has something vaguely resembling a plot.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
So, I was trying to think back to my childhood the other day (friend nailed me with the damn question out of no where), and I vaguely remember seeing an episode or two of Cowboy Bebop, so I thought I'd go and watch the first episode just for kicks.
Holy. Freaking. Crap.
Is it really just that good, or am I just crazy?

Cowboy Bebop is pretty damn good. It probably doesn't make my top 5 or so, personally. In many ways it's a perfectly executed show, which is part of what keeps me from calling it really, truly great. It relies heavily on tried-and-true tropes and just does them really, really well, but doesn't really take too many risks or break new ground. It doesn't do what Evangelion or Utena did, for example. Both of which have many more flaws than Cowboy Bebop, but are ultimately better (IMO) anime for it. All of those things make it a really great show to introduce people to anime, though, since so much of it is heavily influenced by Western tropes and styles. Which is interesting, because when I think about it, all of the anime I consider the best is kind of difficult for first-timers to get into.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone who considers watching Lucky Star better have seen The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya and some other KyoAni projects first.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
@Cowboy Bebop: I never really got it into it, but I never seriously tried. I did see random episodes when they aired on TV, but it was on at an inconvenient time, so... What I did see didn't strike me as a must see; pretty decent, but beyond that no too appealing. I much prefer Samurai Champloo from the same guy.

@Tengo Tenge: The name rings a bell, but that's about it. I definitely haven't seen it.

@Mononoke/Bakeneko: It's on my list of things to watch (I sort of group it with House of Five Leaves in my mind, and I don't know why).

Slice of Life comedies: I tried a few times to get into Lucky Star, and while I never found it bad, I never cared enough to go through with it. Maybe I'll try again one day, but I doubt it.

K-On! I actively dislike. It's a combination of very popular and not for me; like people constantly dropping by to scratch off the crust on a healing wound. I'm doing it to myself now.

Azumanga Daioh I loved almost all the way through, although creepy professor was mostly an eyerolling experience. Osaka is an instant classic, and Tomo rules supreme among the trouble makers.

Nichijou is brilliant when it is, although it very often annoyed me by being too... loud. Also, some jokes that are initially funny overstay their welcome. But when it's good, it's brilliant.

The currently airing Daily Life of Highschool Boys I find mostly annoying and I'd just drop it, if it weren't for the occasional spot of genious. And I do mean genious.

I have a soft spot for A Channel, which I think I said before. Also Minami Ke, but only the first season.