Newt For President!!!

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
He's a sleazey, horrible person and I doubt a true word has ever escaped his lips. He has no chance of winning.

But, it will make primary season more entertaining, I guess.

I think this is pretty close to where I fall.

And regarding Santorum, his significant Google problem isn't going anywhere.

I'm not sure I'd vote for any of these people, just as I'm not sure I want to vote for Obama again. But it's yet too early for me to speculate too much.

Unless Izzard wants to run. In which case, Newt/Izzard 2012!

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
When I hear, Pawlenty, a good ad would be the Good N' Plenty commercial. Guy's a bum,(Pawlenty-reminds me of Edwards) I agree. Sooo, what about Jindal? I like him. If the economy stays where it is, and there aren't any signs showing it moving, Obama doesn't have much of a chance, then who is out there?

Someone better than Newt. The jokes will be endless.

Christie? I don't know. I want more info. I still want Jindal!

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I hear, Pawlenty, a good ad would be the Good N' Plenty commercial. Guy's a bum,(Pawlenty-reminds me of Edwards) I agree. Sooo, what about Jindal? I like him. If the economy stays where it is, and there aren't any signs showing it moving, Obama doesn't have much of a chance, then who is out there?

Someone better than Newt. The jokes will be endless.

Christie? I don't know. I want more info. I still want Jindal!

Christie will not run in 2012.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
So, this is intentional plagiarism?

I have MattW on ignore*, therefore I did not see his post.

*This is a complete and utter fabrication designed to conceal the fact that my reading and comprehension skillz are teh suck.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
I have MattW on ignore*, therefore I did not see his post.

*This is a complete and utter fabrication designed to conceal the fact that my reading and comprehension skillz are teh suck.
So sayeth the wise owl.

I believe in complete fabrication and concealment; my pups hide their toys all the time and blame me. Their TV skillz, however, are amazing.

MattW who?

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dead Newt Walking

What's the over/under that Newt will be out of the race before it even gets to Iowa? :D

Gingrich aides resign, leave campaign in question

By DAVID ESPO and SHANNON McCAFFREY
Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Republican presidential hopeful Newt Gingrich's campaign manager, senior strategists and key aides in early delegate-selection states all resigned on Thursday, a mass exodus that leaves his hopes of winning the Republican nomination in tatters.

Rick Tyler, Gingrich's spokesman, said he, campaign manager Rob Johnson and senior strategists had resigned, along with aides in the early primary and caucus states of Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina.

Other officials said Gingrich was informed that his entire high command was quitting in a meeting earlier in the day. They cited differences over the direction of the campaign but were not more specific.

The officials declined to be identified by name, saying they were not authorized to discuss private conversations.

Gingrich told the group he intends to stay in the race, they added.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
The phrase involving rats and sinking ships springs to mind.

But this has caused some speculation the Governor Rick Perry, who has been flirting with a presidential run, may be leaning more in that direction now that he could get his team back.

Johnson and another key aide, strategist David Carney, joined Gingrich's campaign after working as senior political staff members for Texas Gov. Rick Perry.

They're like vampires -- put a stake through one heart and another pops up to take his place.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
It gets worse (for Newt). Former Georgia Governor Sonny Perdue, who was one of his national campaign chairmen, has left the campaign and is joining Tim Pawlenty's team.

Newt had next to no chance before today. Now he has absolutely no chance at all.

No tears here.

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
My two cents...

Right now it is Obama's race to lose. Which would take some doing, considering what he's likely to face. The essential conundrum of the GOP remains unchanged--fanatics have way too much power on the primary level and will only give their full-blooded support to a candidate that will alienate the mainstream. What the Republican Party has done to counter this is unconscionable--do their level best to keep people from voting at all. Fortunately, virtually everything they've been doing on the state level has been obviously unconstitutional and the courts have said so.

Meanwhile, Obama continues to enjoy personal popularity, the power of the incumbency, a moderate image as opposed to that of his opponents and enough unity within his own party to make a difference.

It is his election to lose.

Death Wizard

Tumhe na koci puujetha
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.deathwizardchronicles.blogspot.com
My two cents...

Right now it is Obama's race to lose. Which would take some doing, considering what he's likely to face. The essential conundrum of the GOP remains unchanged--fanatics have way too much power on the primary level and will only give their full-blooded support to a candidate that will alienate the mainstream. What the Republican Party has done to counter this is unconscionable--do their level best to keep people from voting at all. Fortunately, virtually everything they've been doing on the state level has been obviously unconstitutional and the courts have said so.

Meanwhile, Obama continues to enjoy personal popularity, the power of the incumbency, a moderate image as opposed to that of his opponents and enough unity within his own party to make a difference.

It is his election to lose.

Agreed.

And not only that. He's by far the most charismatic, intelligent and knowledgeable.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
Obama won in 2008 in part because of "Bush fatigue" and in part because McCain was a terrible candidate. If Hillary had won the nomination, she'd be President today.

Both parties have a history of nominating bad candidates - but
If the economy doesn't improve, the Republican candidate whoever he/she is will have an excellent chance to win.

Beyond the economy, Obama's handling of foreign affairs is raising questions - why are we fighting in Libya? What's going on in Yemen? Why is Obama entertaining a ruthless African dictator (Ali Bongo of Gabon) in the White House?
Then..
What if Obamacare is ruled unconstitutional?

The door is open for the GOP - will they step thru it or trip on the threshhold?

Should be interesting.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
The economy and a high jobless rate can lose it for him.
If the economy and esp joblessness is no better in 2012, voters will blame him. It doesn't matter whether his policies have hurt or helped. He's the president, and he will get the blame -- the buck stops here, as they say.

Voters may not particularly like the GOP candidate, but they'll vote for a change anyway. Unless it's someone like Sarah Palin, who actually scares a large segment of the electorate.

So I disagree it's Obama's to lose. I think he's at the mercy of the economic winds.

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
The difference is the GOP has insisted they were going to turn everything around--and their "solution" was to eliminate Medicare. In 2010 they swept into office in Congress and state legislatures, then did all kinds of stuff the mainstream didn't want--worse (for them) it didn't work!

The picture would be different if only the GOP had what looked like a strong candidate. At present they don't and still face the same conundrum I mentioned earlier which interferes with getting a candidate who appeals to the uncommitted.

So--still Obama's race to lose.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
The picture would be different if only the GOP had what looked like a strong candidate. At present they don't and still face the same conundrum I mentioned earlier which interferes with getting a candidate who appeals to the uncommitted.

So--still Obama's race to lose.
Again, I disagree. The GOP doesn't need a strong candidate; people will be voting out of frustration with their situation.

If the GOP candidate is Palin, Bachman, Newt, or someone even more idiotic. then yes, Obama can overcome it.

But if it's Pawlenty, Romney, or Huntsman, after the primaries they'll tone down the rhetoric, sound reasonable, attack "Obamacare," promise to cut taxes and claim that will result in economic recovery, and people will listen.

And I honestly believe, from living in Utah, that if Huntsman could secure the nomination (which is a very long shot, given conservative opposition) he'd have a very good chance of unseating Obama. With a bad economy, I'd even give him the edge.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
After weighing the pro's and con's, I believe that taxes will have to be raised in some fashion in the next 4-6 years. Can't get the economics right without an increase no matter how you look at it. There ain't enough to cut....

shawkins

Ahhh. Sweet.
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
I'm generally pretty pleased with what Obama has been doing. Ecstatic, no. Pleased, yes. I'll almost certainly vote for him in 2012.

However:

His one big flaw (or strength, as far as I'm concerned) is that he's a moderate Republican.

Don't get me wrong, he's a true conservative. But not a crazed ideological one, and that will make it difficult for him to shine in the GOP primaries. And he's a Mormon, which is another strike against him among many Evangelicals, who tend to turn out for the primaries.

Like rugcat said upthread, the economic winds are not blowing in favor of the incumbent. I think Obama is looking at an uphill battle.

In the unlikely event that the GOP nominated someone who wasn't a) deeply stupid b) a fire breathing evangelical or c) otherwise mentally ill, I'd at least consider voting for them.

Does that make me a moderate?

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The phrase involving rats and sinking ships springs to mind.

But this has caused some speculation the Governor Rick Perry, who has been flirting with a presidential run, may be leaning more in that direction now that he could get his team back.

They're like vampires -- put a stake through one heart and another pops up to take his place.

Word is that Perry is the Bilderbergers secret choice of the next president. We'll see.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
After weighing the pro's and con's, I believe that taxes will have to be raised in some fashion in the next 4-6 years. Can't get the economics right without an increase no matter how you look at it. There ain't enough to cut....
Considering the national debt works out to roughly $130,000 per taxpayer, and unfunded liabilities add just over another $1 million per taxpayer, I'd say there's at least a slight likelihood that you're right. :rolleyes:

Everyone please send their check for $1.2 million each, made out to It's Really Slavery, and call it even. I'm sure we've all got that pocket change laying around.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Terrific. A bunch of people I didn't elect spent a bunch of money I didn't want spent and now I'm required to anti up the shortfall.

There's always enough to cut. We just have to decide that "the government" isn't some magical entity that can provide everything for everybody.