Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
XD

I've heard of it, MR. Are they doing one this year?

I think so. I asked because I just had an 18-yr-old writer guest post who, because of winning the contest at 16, got a paid internship at Scholastic, got an entire edit of her book by a Scholastic editor which it is still in the process (no guaranteed publication but she thinks she's close to an acceptance) and she also landed an agent for her second book all because of winning the contest. I thought that was pretty cool...

Negatory. Tell me more.

Is it about child birth by chance?

Lol! :D

chocowrites

scaredy cat
Registered
Reaction score
hey karla and allaboutwords!

how is everyone?

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm more worried that it'll be classed as amateur and not worth fixing. It's the first thing I've ever finished (asides from a short story for college) .

That's what my book was the first 5 edits. It takes time. But once you get those edits back it will help you to know what parts to cut or add to make sure its not amateur. I wrote 11 books and i still feel my stuff is amateur.

I'm busy getting paid to do what I love. It feels good. :D How about you?

Cant wait for that day when i can get paid for doing what i love. I got to experience it over the summer. My job was very slow and often i did nothing. So i'd sit there and write, so in theory i got paid for writing!

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Nice! I think that type of job must be satisfying, in a way. It must be boring to be stuck at work with nothing happening, but at least you have time to write. I had a job washing dishes the summer before last and I used to squeeze in some writing on my iPod when everything was quiet.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah its a nice job. Still have it infact but during the school year its more busy. One of the reason i finished my 185K book in only 3 months!

chocowrites

scaredy cat
Registered
Reaction score
yay para! that must be so nice :)

I'm okay. Started a new project for the fun/ therapy of it and it's going swimmingly.

KarlaErikaCal

YA romance writer in love with love
Registered
Reaction score
I love pink and green! By far my fave color combo.

This is my LSB workspace.

LSB.jpg

Still writing. I might be writing throughout the rest of the day. Reached 8K and added nearly 4K (some old/some new) to this draft. YAY!
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i8/sweetnspicy3691/LSB.jpg

chocowrites

scaredy cat
Registered
Reaction score
thanks ely!

I've decided I shall strive to talk positively about my writing as much as I can. So yes, it is going great. (haha have you guys ever heard me say that about my writing. hahhaha.)

KarlaErikaCal

Registered
Reaction score
WOOT CHOCO!

Ely - Pink is my fave color too! And green is Zack's. Just like how pink and green complement each other, he and I complement each other too. AWESOME how it works that way! haha. Also, as for LSB, usually they'll have discounts for 50% off. So you can get it for $22 instead of $45. I think they have a spring sale? And they also have it 50% off during NaNo. But you should check back to their site every once in a while to see if there's a discount. I'm thinking they do it a few times a year. Maybe Googling about it will bring up something about when during the year it's discounted.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Ok i'm having serious first kiss issues! GRRRRRRRRRRRRR i just cant write a first kiss. hell cant write kissing at all!

Would you guys mind telling me how this sounds? This is the OMG! moment the whole books been leading up to. Evy always sort of had a thing for Matty, although she was too rational and shy to really elaborate on it too much. There has been an unspoken sexual tension between the two the whole book. This isnt technically her first kiss, because farther back in the book a guy name Dex sort of forced her to kiss him... twice.

Right now there about to jump off a cliff together and wake up from there a coma... Evy just figured it all out.

I feel this just isnt affectionate or passionate enough. its been bound to happen to whole book! and it just feels BLAH!

“Evy wait!” Matty cried and pulled me back. Bumping back into his chest my heart sped up.

Everything seemed to freeze in place, as his head lowered down to mine. I knew what was happening, I just couldn’t… I couldn’t believe it. His lips touched mine and nothing felt so right to be before. Like a surge of electricity, every inch of me suddenly felt alive yet numb. All this time and finally I got to kiss him. My arms wrapped around his neck, his hand held my waist. Although he’d held me there a million times before this time felt different, felt right. The awkwardness, the nervousness, it all died away. As he pulled me in closer to him, our lips refusing to separate, I knew it now. The feelings had never been one way. He loved me too. And this right here, this was the first kiss I was always meant to have.

SO HELP PLEASE!!!

KarlaErikaCal

Registered
Reaction score
Ally, it sounds great! :D Nicely done!

Aw man. I have 45 minutes left to write before the Bulls game starts and it's 3 hours long. And now I'm too excited to see if we'll win to write. SO distracted. Oh well, almost doubling my WC is good enough progress to me!

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Really? No really you dont need to be nice. I need to fix this. I feel it sounds so horrible!

I want this to be awesome, and all romantic and amazing so when you find out who Matty really is its just all the much more heart crushing.

KarlaErikaCal

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not hard to please. Guess that's a flaw for me. It makes it hard to be a proper beta too. I did like it though!

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!

Hheheheheheh! So i was reading up on "how to write kissing scenes" and it said pull from your own experiences. So I did for the next paragraph and to think of it... it fits perfectly for Evy. I practically pulled it word for word from my old diary after my first kiss. Its quite funny.

Matty finally separated himself from me and we stood there silently. All I could do was giggle. The nervousness had return. What if I sucked as a kisser… wouldn’t that change his feelings? Oh shit I really screwed this up. We weren’t even dating and I already turned him off of me! Shit! I looked up at him the anxiety killing me. I didn’t know what to say, what do you say after a kiss? Shit, they never showed that in the movies. In the Mummy Evy and Rick just ride off on the back of a camel into the sunlight! Fuck! Why wasn’t he talking. He never shut the hell up any other time!

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
Ally - I like it. It's rough but it's definitely a good scene. With a few revisions it can be an even better scene. :)

Rough as in how? Grammar wise?

Please elaborate, i really want to make this better. I suck at kissing scenes?

Status
Not open for further replies.