Status
Not open for further replies.

V.J. Allison

Sunny with a Side of Evilness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vjallison.com
Yesterday at 1:44 p.m. Atlantic Time, I wrote "THE END" at the end of my latest WIP! (I was calling it "Eleven" to differentiate it from other WIPs in my "to write" file)

DRAFT ONE STATS:
Length: 135 pages
Word Count: 77 477
Chapters: 17
Started: February 20, 2014.
Finished: May 29, 2014.
Length of time from starting main file to finishing: 3 months, 9 days, writing part time.

This may the third first draft I've finished in less than three years, but it's the first one that isn't over 200K. It's been quite a learning experience to go from a more complicated story to one that isn't filled with a million plot twists. I'm still learning so I'm not sure if this one will be deemed "up to snuff" for publishers anytime soon. We'll see what the beta team says. ;)

Now the real fun and work begins - editing it in entirety for the first time before it goes out to my beta team in the fall. :e2thud:

ARoyce

Hopeful romantic/hopeless pedant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amararoyce.com
Congrats! Typing "The End" is such a great feeling! Good luck with revisions!

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
CGs! Have a chocolate Martini on me while you rest up for the next step.

V.J. Allison

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vjallison.com
Thanks, both of you! :D It hasn't hit me that it's done yet and it's still rather disconcerting to see "THE END" in the file, even though I'm now working in Draft 2. When it sinks in, I'll be going into full on wonky mode, which is not pretty! :e2thud:

HeavyAirship

Aboard my phaneron.
Registered
Reaction score
I got some people together to celebrate for you.

:TheWave:

V.J. Allison

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vjallison.com
Thanks everyone! I did some revisions yesterday and I am pleased with the progress on that front so far. There's still a lot to do but I'll get it done, before and after my betas get their paws on it. ;)

V.J. Allison

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vjallison.com
I put it into stasis for the summer at 6:28 p.m., ADT today. It will stay there until September 4th or 5th, depending on when school starts in my district.

Axl Prose

Registered
Reaction score
It's a good feeling isn't it!? You are not alone on the revising process. I'm looking forward to it. Just the chance to make it the best it can be!

V.J. Allison

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vjallison.com
Thanks Axl! I'm hoping where mine will be in stasis for three months, I'll be able to see a lot of the errors and catch them before my alpha reader and beta team get it in the fall. I'm going to have enough lumps on the head as it is when they see anything I miss, I don't want any more than necessary! ;)

And good luck in your revisions! Finishing that first draft is one feeling that doesn't get any less exciting no matter how many times you've done it. This is the third time I've finished a novel length manuscript and the high was just as great as it was the first time around. :D

Lanaa

Registered
Reaction score
Woo Hoo!!

Such an incredible feeling!! It's an accomplishment like no other, because start to finish, it's all yours. Congrats :partyguy:!! Take a deep breath, pat yourself on the back, and then keep writing :)!

V.J. Allison

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vjallison.com
Thanks Lanaa, and I am still going... I'm into one that was started before this one, and I'm hoping to put "THE END" on it sometime this fall or in the coming winter! :D

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
Huzzah! You're right, the feeling never gets old.
And congrats for trying a new story style. It's not always easy to switch gears like that, but you sure learn a lot from the experience.

V.J. Allison

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vjallison.com
Thanks Julianne! :)

I'm really surprised I'm writing something right now. Normally my brain needs a three month or so break from it to recharge, but something is pushing me to get this latest one finished. Maybe the fact I had started the latest WIP before I started the one I just finished could be why.

I don't care, I'm writing and that's all that matters. :)

SunshineonMe

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Wooohooo Congratulations!! I'mnotjealousI'mnotjealous ;) ;) Seriously, good job!

benluby

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, although typing 'the end', I find, is an error. It's the tentative end of the writing, (still having to do rewrites and such), but it's really the beginning, depending on which route you take.
If you go trade publishing, you have to submit, and that is including if you want to hunt an agent, then see what their rewrites are and work them in.
If you go self pub, you now get to do the cover which is in itself a task, then you get to do the rewrite and edit if needed, format it, and set up all the fun stuff like POD and kindle versions.
The end of one part is merely the beginning of another...

Status
Not open for further replies.