Send complete ms ????

Umgowa

Registered
Reaction score
Several publications I'm targeting say to send the complete manuscript in their listing in Writer's Market. It seems to me that a query would save me a lot of time if they don't like the concept. It would be a huge waste of energy and time to complete a magazine manuscript and send it in and then get it rejected. Can I assume that if they ask for a completed ms that they feel in their hearts that they have a relatively high acceptance rate? Can I conclude that they wouldn't ask you to invest all that time and energy if they thought there was a good chance they might reject the concept?

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Several publications I'm targeting say to send the complete manuscript in their listing in Writer's Market. It seems to me that a query would save me a lot of time if they don't like the concept. It would be a huge waste of energy and time to complete a magazine manuscript and send it in and then get it rejected. Can I assume that if they ask for a completed ms that they feel in their hearts that they have a relatively high acceptance rate? Can I conclude that they wouldn't ask you to invest all that time and energy if they thought there was a good chance they might reject the concept?

Nope. They want a full manuscript because they have deadlines. They cannot afford a work that is sitting in their queue incomplete. Lots of publications have long lead times, but still don't want this hassle.

At least, that explanation made sense to me. Someone with more experience in the field may give you better.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
That seems totally bizarre to me. I've been freelancing 10+ years and never once I have I sent a full piece that wasn't assigned. Query. That's how the professionals do it and how publications expect professionals to do it. Good luck!

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Each magazine has preferences in submissions the same way each writer has their way of doing things. If the guidelines say send full manuscript, then that is what they want.

I've sold numerous articles by sending a full manuscript when guidelines permit. If you are doing a full manuscript, just be sure you read the guidelines closely and gear the piece to what they ask for.