Return of a Man Named PAMB and its Quotes

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Poof goes that thread. Can't have other PA writers getting silly ideas that they should get free books. It would cut into PA's obscenely high profit margin.

That same book at CreateSpace (if the author gets their Pro Plan) would cost him 2.15 per copy.

He could sell it on Amazon for 4.99 and make an .84 royalty.

Of course he would not be doing any store signings, but he's got that already with PA.

No, but at that price the author could afford to buy stock. Since the book is poetry, they would probably sell at non-bookstore venues where the author does readings. In those cases the author would most likely have to bring their own stock.

And please, that's not a slam against self-publishing. It's an acknowledgement that poets often do readings and signings in different venues. In fact, I kinda think self-publishing might be better for most poets simply because the market is so different. They'd probably stand to make better money.

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
PA must sleep in on Sunday. This has been up for a half-hour on FB:
Authors Beware! Do not publish with this company until you have done a Google search and checked out all the negative comments about this so called publisher!

Figured I'd grab it before it went POOF.

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
This morning on FB:
tried to order books at the specila $4.98 price, but PA never accepted the order, then said my account was locked. What's the deal?
Will PA answer?
Edited to add PA's answer:
Must be your computer. Call 301 695 1707 and they will process your order.

It's never PA's fault. Never.

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
One of the recent enthusiasts is having an issue, backed up by pesky experience with the company in question:

I called PA about when my husband's book(name redacted) book would show up at barnes and noble and amzon, and why did they give me a release date of Jan 1, 2012 when it has already been available at PA webite for over two weeks plus it does NOT take that long for barnesandnoble, amazon to update; they did my book in 2 weeks! We want it the release date before Christmas when the book would REALLY sale!!

Last edited:

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At least one PA author is starting to see a pattern:

Whats the news with the lower book prices? Is this a permanent price reduction or just a sale. I noticed my book on B&N and Amazon was at $15 just yesterday.

Which is great as I can actually sell it for that price if it's going to stay around that price. If that's so, then I need to start promoting it. If on the other hand it's going to jump to $30 again then I'd like to know.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
From PA's Facebook page.

PUBLISH AMERICA TAKES 92 PERCENT OF THE SELLS FROM YOUR BOOKS AND SAY THEY SEND OUT ROYALTY CHECKS IN AUGUST AND FEBRUARY! I NEVER RECEIVED MY CHECK IN AUGUST AND YOU HAVE NO WAY TO KNOW HOW MANY BOOKS ARE SOLD, YOU HAVE TO TAKE THEIR WORD FOR IT, AND I HAVE LEARNED THE HARD WAY THAT THAT DOESNT MEAN ANYTHING!
Infocenter must have taken the morning off. This one has been up for almost half an hour.

Has anyone been locked out of PA? Suddenly, about 2 weeks ago, I couldn't get into my PA account. I tried everything and managed to actually receive an email from PA Support. I followed her directions, which were the regular ones only using a slightly different web address, and it worked, but the next time, when I did the same thing, it locked me out again. Does PA lock out their authors without informing them in an email? I know my book isn't selling, but I do try. Is PA officially through with me? Is this the way they dump their authors? Just wondering...

PA replied:
[Name deleted by Merri] you can be assured that PA isn't doing anything to your account.

Of course not, nothing is ever PA’s fault. And, there is more truth in that sentence -- PA isn't doing anything. They could have stopped that sentence right there and been accurate.

PA I just received 6 copies of my hardcover book Words on Paper.They look so nice,This is how i think my book should have been in the first place all hardcovers.For the price of 20 dollars i think that would be fair.
Fair and PA do not go together.

Last edited:

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
I doubt the PA author getting locked out of their account will check here, but if they do, I suggest that they try from a different computer in a different location or reboot their router.

On the surface this looks like some trouble I was having with a web site a few months ago. Long story short, rebooting the router fixed the problem.

The reason I think there may be a technical issue is that someone from PA actually did try to help this person get into their account. Of course, now that they've complained... ;-)

tlblack

nothing simple here
Registered
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, PA's system marks the IP address of the computer used to log in to the message board. I know that when I had access to the PAMB (and this was initiated after my contract was cancelled) that I could only gain access using the same computer. Not being a techie I'm not certain about that, but do know that as long as I used the same computer to log in, I had no trouble accessing the message board.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, PA's system marks the IP address of the computer used to log in to the message board. I know that when I had access to the PAMB (and this was initiated after my contract was cancelled) that I could only gain access using the same computer. Not being a techie I'm not certain about that, but do know that as long as I used the same computer to log in, I had no trouble accessing the message board.

So how would that work for dialup users? And honestly, very few IP addresses are completely static. I have fiber and it changes every once in a while.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
So how would that work for dialup users? And honestly, very few IP addresses are completely static. I have fiber and it changes every once in a while.

I had no idea that IP addresses can change. You really do learn something new every day. :)

twm

Zizban
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Unless you pay for a static IP address (IE, you are a business), it can change. For the average user, it probably wont change for years but if your account is cancelled then restarted, you'll get a new IP address. If you turn off your router for a day or so, you may get a new one (not always, you can get your old one if the ISP hasn't reassigned it).

If PA goes by IP address to manage their PAMB then they are completely stooopid. IP addresses change, can be spoofed, etc.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
A thread about book prices on the PAMB:

Well of course it was too good to be true...prices went up to their ridiculous levels again. I don't understand the PA marketing concept. I am fully aware that it costs something for PA to produce the books, but wouldn't the company make more money selling many books at a reasonable price than selling NO books at a higher price? Doesn't this make sense? One or more of my books sold as soon as the prices dropped. Hmmmmmm.....

On the plus side, this author's PA book came out in 2004. He seems to have used CreateSpace for his later books.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Over on Facebook, it looks like the company's trying to get their like count upped again:

Post your own book cover here and ask everyone you know to like it. Next week we pay $250 in cash to the author with the most popular cover. The book with the most likes wins! Last time we had this contest, people came out in droves to vote, and they made one author a very lucky woman when she received our cash check. The contest starts NOW!

1 - real publishers don't do this sort of thing

2 - you're "competing" with a product you didn't create yourself, authors. Why should the cover someone else made you net you a prize check?

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
PA on Facebook:
Next week we pay $250 in cash to the author with the most popular cover.

Ironically, that $250 prize is more than they probably paid for the clip art for the winning cover ...

MM

M. Chandler

out in left field
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mchandler.org
Wow. With their propensity for re-using stock photography, that sounds like a bad idea just waiting to happen. How many near-identical covers are going to end up competing against one another?

Some poor author's going to encourage all her friends to 'like' her cover--"The one with the clouds on it!"--and they're going to go over and 'like' someone else's book.

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
PA proclaims on its FB page:
PublishAmerica is the only no-cost, low-barrier publisher that illustrates children's books for absolutely free. If you know someone who wants to write a children's picture book, tell them to email [email protected]. Superior print quality.

"Low-barrier"? And not so long ago they were calling themselves "traditional." At least "low barrier" describes them better.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
PublishAmerica is the only no-cost, low-barrier publisher that illustrates children's books for absolutely free.

Notice how they don't mention that all commercial publishers (those 'no-cost' guys with pesky high standards -- who actually pay authors actual money) illustrate children's books 'for absolutely free'?

Last edited:

LindaJeanne

On a small world west of wonder
Registered
Reaction score
I had no idea that IP addresses can change. You really do learn something new every day. :)
Many ISP's (er, Internet Service Providers) own a block of IP addresses that they allocate dynamically. That is, every time you log on, they pick an available one to assign to you. So you may not always have the same IP address, and another member of the same ISP may have the IP you had last time you logged on.

(At least that's how it used to be -- I haven't been paying attention to that kind of thing for a while. That may happen less now that so many people have there connection open 24/7. I used to be much more of a computer geek than I am now, and much of my info is out of date)

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And on the PA board, more comments about the yo-yo pricing:
I see the lower prices are gone… Boo!!! I understand completely with the economy and all. But just noticed one of my books use to be 19.95, when the prices were higher, and the sale price was 9.95, and now it is up to 24.95….

followed by:
I have come to doubt many of PA's motives over the years. For one, the process they said was necessary and costly for them to covert my book into eBook format that cost me $70, I did myself in just over an hour with a book I have with another publisher...for nothing. Every "deal" that is offerred nickle and dimes the author to death when all that is really needed is a fair price on the book so it will sell.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
At least a few PA authors may see through the latest "special offer".

Have you all seen the latest line of bull from PA? Now, you can be nomitated for author of the year, but only if you spend 14 dollars to be on the list of potential winners. So, if 72 suckers pay, the $1000 they are "giving away" will be paid for. What a racket! I am way past the point of wishing I had never gone with PA.

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
Over on Facebook, it looks like the company's trying to get their like count upped again:

Post your own book cover here and ask everyone you know to like it. Next week we pay $250 in cash to the author with the most popular cover. The book with the most likes wins! Last time we had this contest, people came out in droves to vote, and they made one author a very lucky woman when she received our cash check. The contest starts NOW!

1 - real publishers don't do this sort of thing

2 - you're "competing" with a product you didn't create yourself, authors. Why should the cover someone else made you net you a prize check?

Ahhhhh the old nameless "lucky woman" trick. Funny how they did not mention said lucky woman's name. And when you run a contest, don't you have to say who wins?