Status
Not open for further replies.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
Think this is the right place, but feel free to move it.

So, in a couple of weeks I'm attending a Literary Festival as a guest and panelist. NEVER done something like this before, so anyone got any tips?

If you've done one and learned anything?

Or even if you just attended as an audience member and thought, "That guy was really good and he did this."

Anything would help.

Thanks in advance.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
If you're reading out a passage from your book, finish with a mystery hanging in the air. AS Byatt did that to me once and I had to buy her novel just to find out how things worked out.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I usually go to the Southern Festival of Books: http://tn-humanities.org/festival/current.php It's usually quite a big event.

I don't have any great advice for you, but I think the writers that I've met at book festivals that made the biggest impression (besides the truly big-name writers you sometimes meet) are the ones who are enjoying the festival as much as anyone else. They really interact with the "book lovers" who have come. I once spent an enjoyable few minutes talking to Homer Hickam, author of the book that the movie October Sky was based upon. So, if you can think of this as a fun thing, and not just a promotional event, then it will probably come across to the people you met. You might even makes some new fans. Does that makes sense?

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you're reading out a passage from your book, finish with a mystery hanging in the air. AS Byatt did that to me once and I had to buy her novel just to find out how things worked out.
Worked pretty well for Scheherazade too. ;-)

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Being on a panel is great fun, it takes some of the pressure off of yourself because you are with others and usually a moderator. Make sure though you understand the setup. I was on a panel where there were only three of us and no moderator, so we talked before hand, came up with a plan (we'd each talk for 15 minutes, short introduction and reading, then we'd take questions). There have been other panels I've been on where the moderator emailed me in advance to ask if there was anything specific I wanted to talk about. Then she moderated the whole panel, asking us each individual questions.

Then of course there was a panel that was meant to be us asked silly questions where I hadn't prepared anything to read. Suddenly we were each asked to read a short paragraph. I announced to the audience I hadn't planned for it, so I just opened the book and read whatever page I opened. It was fun.

Most importantly remember, you are there because people want to hear from you. Even if you are feeling all, "Why should anyone care what I think" you still have to honour the judgment of the people who put you on the panel, and the people who have come to see you speak. So don't sit quietly in the corner, speak up. Respect the decision others made to have you in the public eye. Be humble, but don't be all "Aw gee shucks", no one likes that.

And lastly have fun! It's an awesome time, you'll meet some great people, and it will be over far too soon!

Good luck!

Last edited:

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
Most importantly remember, you are there because people want to hear from you. Even if you are feeling all, "Why should anyone care what I think" you still have to honour the judgment of the people who put you on the panel, and the people who have come to see you speak. So don't sit quietly in the corner, speak up. Respect the decision others made to have you in the public eye.

I'm Good Enough, I'm Smart Enough, and Doggone It, People Like Me!

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
I have done this several times and always had fun. For the big outdoor events, like the Los Angeles Times Festival of Books, comfortable shoes, sunglasses and cold drinks are a must. For indoor ones, comfortable shoes!

If you are on a panel (one of the first I was ever on was at the Governor's Conference for Women and I was up there on the stage with 4 well-known mystery authors in front of 3,000 smart women!) just be prepared to read a familiar passage in a strong voice & answer questions. the moderator will guide you, and if you can get a list of topics beforehand, it will make it easier.

Having fun is the most important part though - and you were invited *because people want to hear from you*!!! So have a ball - the time goes by quickly. Before you know it you will be grinning like a fool and remembering how much of a high it was.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
Actually I'm not doing a reading. It's more of a round table, moderated discussion on writing for teens. I'm there on the back of comic book writing.

I may have to disabuse a few people of the idea that 'the "funnies" are for kids' is somewhat outdated. :D

My understanding is that the thing is small, informal and relaxed.

But yeah, that idea that they wanna hear what "I" think is kinda weird. But I am kinda looking forward to it. At worst, it's an experience that makes it into my writing somewhere.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been an audience member at a handful of panels/talks/signings at lit festivals. Any funny story related to writing/topic at hand will go over really well. Like, this funny thing happened to me while I was writing, or this person said a hilarious thing to me at a signing, or whatever. Staying cool under pressure is a must. and knowing your genre really deeply/being able to draw new connections within your genre for the audience. Having cool advice/tips for aspiring authors in your mind, ready to dispense, would probably serve you well. If there's any weird nitpicky stuff or tiny inconsistency about your book, and you have a hard-core fan of your work in the audience (you know, like Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons), you will be challenged on it, so have something smart to say. But audiences at panels generally think the authors are super awesome and smart and full of clever ideas, so you are already starting out on top!

Coolest author I saw at a book panel was Joe Hill. Not because of his work, which I've never read, but because of what happened at the panel. (Preface to the tale: Joe Hill's dad is Stephen King.) During the Q&A section of a SF/Horror panel, a weird old dude got up to the mike and said something like, "The horror genre is in a terrible state, and it has gone downhill since H.P. Lovecraft died. Modern horror is just dreadful, AND THE BLAME RESTS FIRMLY ON STEPHEN KING!" Everyone was silent. For a second I thought the panel was going to end in bloodshed.
Now that's incredibly rude, to him and his fellow horror writers and his dad, and technically not even a question. So Joe takes a deep breath, and launches into this incredibly passionate and eloquent response that totally broke the guy off without even insulting him. The line I remember was something to the effect of "I think that my father writes the experiences of middle-class america, and his work really connects with people." The audience erupted into applause after that, and the Stephen-King-hater slunk back to his seat. My partner and I came away from the panel thinking that Joe Hill was a really kind and classy and intelligent guy. We don't even read much horror, but we tell lots of people how we saw him talk and how smart and cool he is. So there you go.

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
...anyone got any tips?

Avail yourself of the hospitality suite -- drink early, drink often.

Forge relationships with other authors. Don't sleep with them, though -- you don't want to appear in their next book.

The above advice also goes for journalists.

Readers, however, are fair game.

And remember: it's never too early to start cultivating a reputation.
The above advice is tongue in cheek and should in no way be considered wise counsel.

Okay, mostly tongue in cheek. It's still not wise counsel, though.

Evaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeinhay.blogspot.com
Start your own! Hay-on-Wye has a population of only about 2,000 people, and we have one of the biggest literary festivals in the country now.
The nice thing about Hay is how you can be shuffling down a crowded walkway (the festival is in tents connected by boardwalks in the middle of a field) and you suddenly look round and think "Was that Mo Mowlam who just walked past?" Or Michael Buerk, or Terry Jones, or insert big name of your choice here - and it usually was.
Essential to remember: wellingtons.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
I wish we would have writing festivals in our area, that and conferences. There is a book club here but it's closed to new members. What can I say, I live in a small town.

Bet my home town is smaller. :D

This is gonna be around a five hour drive for me. Fortunately they pay mileage! And feed food!! HUZZAR

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
Glad I happened upon this post. I'll be in attendance at a lit fest in a few weeks, and I've never been. Unsure as to what to expect, but I'm really looking forward to the experience!

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Develop a presence.

I've been speaker and panelist to a few festivals at home. You do need to be prepared for the nasties. There will always be someone who will want to corner you or bother you in the bar and make rude comments about your work or what you said. And as you are an official guest you can't thump them or verbally abuse them. You need a shell to protect yourself.

If you're not good in public develop a presence or another persona for yourself. Stand out a little - or a lot if you can take it. Wear something a little more formal dress than usual. Nice jeans and Tshirt with a jacket. That kind of thing! Pick a great hat if you think you can carry one off, (think Terry P or Joanna Lumley) or striking jewellry. Do something with your hair that isn't shaggy dog and wear a bright colour even if it's only a scarf or beannie.

Now smile at everyone pleasantly - not the idiot grin please - be approachable to those shyer ones you see might like to talk. Take the initiative in the bar or at meals and approach groups of people you think look pleasant. That sure deters the nasties. And walk away from the nasties with an 'Excuse me, I see xyz wants me."

Think 'what if someone asks me this, or says my work stinks or etc' and work out a few polite phrases you can use in those circumstances. BUT having prepared for the worst remember that most people are there because they love books and if you smile and talk to them they are flattered because you're a real author talking to them. You're talking comics which is a new and controversial subject so really be enthused and full of the joys of graphic novels. And if you meet people my age do remember that graphic novel was once the term to describe erotica so puzzled elderly faces should prompt you to chuckle and explain that graphic today means what they know as a comic.

Enjoy yourself and speak clearly and more slowly than usual. Listen to all the others with a polite expression and save the dafter comments for a good laugh later. Literary festivals are fun.

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
Without actually focusing on it, I am aware that there already is a "writer" me and the "real" me. These two ARE different.

Thanks for the post pdr. Great advice. :D

Lady Cat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
randomwriterlythoughts.blogspot.com
I’ve been to Word On the Street in Toronto (Canada) and had a great time. It’s a book and magazine festival that also promotes literacy.

All I can suggest is take a sturdy back pack to put all your loot in! Actually, last year my friend and I decided that bringing a little red wagon might be a better idea - it’d save on the back strain.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
We have one in a couple of weeks in Sharon, just north of my town on Sept. 21, called Words Alive. But alas, I've been invited to a fundraiser on the same day. I really wanted to check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.