• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] McIntosh & Otis (Eugene & Elizabeth Winick)

churchillgirl

Registered
Reaction score
I'll post this question here because I just read a reference to M&O. I wonder if it's even a good time to pitch an agent. Given the layoffs, the utter flux of the entire publishing industry and the bad sales figures from B&N and Border's, are agents actively looking to sign new writers?

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
IMO, this is a great time to be looking for an agent. Here's why. Everyone knows the economy is in the toilet right now, but these things are cyclical. Barring another Great Depression (in which case writing will be the least of any of our worries), sometime in the next eighteen to twenty-four months we'll be out of this. And if houses (and agents) don't have product to move at that time, it'll be like trying to get a mile-long freight train going from a dead stop. So these folks have to be looking at new material now, because their livelihoods depend on it. Else when the economy turns bright again they'll be caught flatfooted, with nothing to offer.

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
Two people on the Purgatory thread just got agents within a week of each other. What month is this? December? Oh, yeah. :D

Rebecca Strauss represents AW member Nicole Peeler (aka Morrigan) and just got her a 2-book deal last month.

My M&O agent, Elizabeth Winick, is terrific. She has subs of my manuscript out to a few publishers, but she's waiting until after the first of the year to send out any more.

Evlsushi

Registered
Reaction score
Hey I just got a request for a full and then a request for revisions to the full from M&O. What's the word on Edward Necalsumer? I don't know very much about him except his record on publisher's marketplace.

Erin

Listening to my other selves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinrichards.com
IMO, this is a great time to be looking for an agent. Here's why. Everyone knows the economy is in the toilet right now, but these things are cyclical. Barring another Great Depression (in which case writing will be the least of any of our worries), sometime in the next eighteen to twenty-four months we'll be out of this. And if houses (and agents) don't have product to move at that time, it'll be like trying to get a mile-long freight train going from a dead stop. So these folks have to be looking at new material now, because their livelihoods depend on it. Else when the economy turns bright again they'll be caught flatfooted, with nothing to offer.

I totally agree. Agents and publishers NEED authors. They may be more selective now, but without us there wouldn't be a book industry. I have received at least one agent rejection that said, "because of the publishing industry economy, we're being more selective...etc." But deals are still being made everyday according to PM.

schoonerbabe

Registered
Reaction score
Eugene Winnick represented the immensely successful novels of southern writer Walker Percy, who was a friend of my family. All of his books were NY Times bestsellers.

PVish

Cat hair collector
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peevishpen.blogspot.com
Hey I just got a request for a full and then a request for revisions to the full from M&O. What's the word on Edward Necalsumer? I don't know very much about him except his record on publisher's marketplace.

Edward Necalsumer IV is head of the children's division. He rejected me within three weeks of my snail-mailed query and two chapters.

Last edited:

Morrigan

Registered
Reaction score
I am having trouble finding out who Rebecca Strauss has represented/represents. I have been on the site and googled her as well. Any tips? Thanks!
CB
Rebecca Strauss is the best agent in the WHOLE WORLD. :)

And she represents Me!

Morrigan

Registered
Reaction score
Edward is a total powerhouse, that's an EXCELLENT response. Congrats!

And M&O, as an agency, has been absolutely incredible with me. I adore my agent, and their film rights agent, Ian Polonsky, is incredible and started working with me immediately. So

AndrewG

Registered
Reaction score
Do any of the agents accept online queries? There listings on AgentQuery indicate they don't but some of you said you emailed them your query.

Thanks for the help!

Evlsushi

Registered
Reaction score
Do any of the agents accept online queries? There listings on AgentQuery indicate they don't but some of you said you emailed them your query.

Thanks for the help!

I don't know about everyone else, but I don't think that they accept e-mail. It was the main reason why I waited so long to query them initially.

Evlsushi

Registered
Reaction score
Edward is a total powerhouse, that's an EXCELLENT response. Congrats!

And M&O, as an agency, has been absolutely incredible with me. I adore my agent, and their film rights agent, Ian Polonsky, is incredible and started working with me immediately. So

This is really encouraging! Thanks. Edward and his assistant Abigail have been really responsive thus far. They even asked for a sample of my second novel. I'm still waiting for a reply, but even if they reject me now their revisions have given me a much stronger novel.

Morrigan

Registered
Reaction score
This is really encouraging! Thanks. Edward and his assistant Abigail have been really responsive thus far. They even asked for a sample of my second novel. I'm still waiting for a reply, but even if they reject me now their revisions have given me a much stronger novel.
Congrats! Seriously, he's huge. Can you say, "Madeleine L'Engle?" Let me know what happens! M&O has been seriously amazing, as a house, and I've only heard good things about Edward. And I got a huge amount of help from an agent who continued to reject me. :) Then turned around and got Ms. Super Agent Rebecca Strauss. So it's great you've got that attitude!

Andrew G: Only snail mail.

Glamour177

Needs to Learn Patience.
Registered
Reaction score
Rebecca Strauss is the best agent in the WHOLE WORLD. :)

And she represents Me!

Hi Morrigan,

Congrats on your upcoming book! I was wondering if you know if Rebecca considers chick lit books? I saw on a website that she does, but her profile on M&O doesn't state it specifically.

Thanks for any help you have to offer!

missteddy16

Registered
Reaction score
Edward Necarsulmer

Question: Does Edward Necarsulmer handle YA? It says he's head of the children's division at MO, but it doesn't specifically state he does young adult, which always freaks me out.

Last edited:

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Morrigan,

Congrats on your upcoming book! I was wondering if you know if Rebecca considers chick lit books? I saw on a website that she does, but her profile on M&O doesn't state it specifically.

I don't know about chick lit, but she handles women's fiction. She's my agent and that's what I write.

I'm really happy with her, by the way.

ETA: Oh, and just to give you an idea about her timing with me--I snail mailed her according to the submissions guidelines (query + 1st 3 chapters, I think). I got a request for a full within days and an offer 2 or 3 days after the full.

Last edited:

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
Question: Does Edward Necarsulmer handle YA? It says he's head of the children's division at MO, but it doesn't specifically state he does young adult, which always freaks me out.

Yes, according to Agentquery.com:

FICTION GENRES
Young Adult | Children's | Middle Grade

sarawriter21

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone queried Edward recently? I met him at a conference in June, spoke to him personally - he said he was interested in my novel. I sent him my query the day after the conference ended. He said to expect a 2 month turnaround time. It's been almost 3 months... Has anyone else had this experience? Or should I email their only listed email address (info@...) and ask if he'd received it? I just don't quite know what to think...

Morrigan

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Morrigan,

Hi!! Sorry I didn't get back about this sooner! And I know that Rebecca considers pretty much anything, even LITERARY! *gasp*, if it strikes her fancy.

And thank you! :) Good luck with the querying!