zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Wholey crap, y'all! I just got an acceptance on a short story for an anthology.

w00t! Yay! :partyguy: Coming late to the news (saturday afternoon naps FTW) but very excited for you! Congratulations! Can you tell us which antho yet?

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Wholey crap, y'all! I just got an acceptance on a short story for an anthology.

Congratulations!

Just in from digging a tunnel through the piles on snow guarding the driveway. They are now tall enough that the child can walk through without stooping.

Darkshore

Stranger
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats! Long time no see Cantina. Anyone else ever write a piece for a contest only to have that piece turn into something a little too rough or out there for that publisher to take? I'm in the process of finishing up a short for Fantasy-Faction, but I just crossed into b-movie gore and I'm not sure they'd go for it.

Psychomacologist

The Sarcasm Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
They never do. *sigh* Don't you wish they could invent a telepathy keyboard thingie, so your daydreams would transfer themselves directly to the computer without all that annoying organizing and typing?
I know, right? Someone needs to invent this thing.

Ugh, guys, I'm exhausted. I woke up really early this morning for no reason and I've been tired all week. Time for me to sleep me thinks. I will attack the wordage tomorrow.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Sitting here singing along with Pandora. Singing really loud. I've had voice training, so my "really loud" is REALLY REALLY loud. Not really troubling myself with staying on pitch.

My boys seem a little disturbed by this. I wonder why?

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
oh, and I've been sleeping..... so... that's what I've done this afternoon

I tried that, but little monkeys escaped their room and jumped on my head. If I was smart I'd go to bed early tonight, but, well, I'm not. Also, making slow forward progress on current story, distracted only by contemplating the keeping of ducks in space, and if there's a way in which duck poo can be something other than a liability.

KitCat

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats Amergina :)

sleep seems to be going around cause i fell asleep awhile ago and just woke up, or i'm catching the crud that the other half has. yay.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
50fc96002e59012f2fcd00163e41dd5b.gif

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just in from digging a tunnel through the piles on snow guarding the driveway. They are now tall enough that the child can walk through without stooping.

My inner child reads this and reacts with joyful exuberance.

My outer adult hopes you've schedule another appointment with your masseuse soon and can manage to stand straight in the meantime.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dudes. The movie. Amazing. Evil. Sick. Twisted. Nolan is a genius. It was so much better than the book. I'm glad I read the book, but damn. What a ride. That movie is a masterpiece nearly as good as Batman Begins.

It's kind of a mystery/contemporary fantasy story about an artist estranged from his family who is keeping a dark secret.

It's also a piece that (to me) represents both of my writing degrees. I originally wrote it for workshop in undergrad, trying very very very hard not to have it take a turn into the fantastic--and I failed spectacularly, much to the chagrin of my undergrad instructor. There was to be No Genre in workshop. *cough* Yeah.

I rewrote it for workshop during my MFA program. Since the program was genre focused, I reveled in the fantastic. I had also grown so much as a writer that I wasn't afraid to touch on a serious topic with it.

I'm happy it's found a home. It'll also be my first publishing credit ever, so... yeah. I'm all :D

Kewlies. So when does the world get to read it? :)

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dudes. The movie. Amazing. Evil. Sick. Twisted. Nolan is a genius. It was so much better than the book. I'm glad I read the book, but damn. What a ride. That movie is a masterpiece nearly as good as Batman Begins.

What movie?

For those of us unwilling to backread twenty pages until we find where you mentioned it once.

:D

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Prestige.

Also, I bet Charlie the Unicorn would cry if you took a hammer to his hoof. Then he'd take a hoof to your face. Might be worth it if you could somehow get the magic tears ;)

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Prestige.

Oh.

That came out *years* ago. You realize this, right?

(And I thought I was behind in my movie watching.)

Also, I bet Charlie the Unicorn would cry if you took a hammer to his hoof. Then he'd take a hoof to your face. Might be worth it if you could somehow get the magic tears ;)

If Charlie didn't cry when they took his kidney, somehow I don't think the hoof is going to cut it.

Besides, I have no desire to make Twinkies. Or eat them. Ever.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am super behind on movie watching. I see a handfull a year...

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, normally I do, too, but there are a few I try and make a point to see within a relatively short time of their release.

That was one of them.

The competing magician flick with Ed Norton that came out around the same time as The Prestige was also good, but not on the same level.

And it didn't have Bowie.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I dont recall ever hearing about the Prestige before last week. Thats how out of touch with movies I am. I hear about some on NPR and via Pandora ads now...

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I dont recall ever hearing about the Prestige before last week. Thats how out of touch with movies I am. I hear about some on NPR and via Pandora ads now...

:Wha:

I'm pretty sure I was in China when that came out and even I heard about it.

Were you in a particularly grueling section of vet school then? Because that would make sense to me.

Or living someplace less connected to the civilized world than China?

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Kewlies. So when does the world get to read it? :)

I believe the anthology will be out by the end of the year.

It's Trust & Treachery: Tales of Power, Intrigue, and Violence
http://treachery.mlcrawford.com/

I think they're still climbing out of the slush pile, at this point.

Also, I too, just heard about The Prestige. I think maybe Tor.com mentioned Bowie as Tesla and I did an :eek: :yessmiley at the thought. I'm not sure how I missed it when it came out...

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
I still haven't heard of The Prestige, beyond sitting here going, "what the hell are they talking about?"

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Status
Not open for further replies.