The Bouncy Castle in Space

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Looking for any particular flavor?? Have french vanilla, chocolate brownie, and cookies & cream in the freezer! Have toppings for that too! *Graps large bowl & scooper* Pout no more Smish! ;)

Mmmmm, thanks Honeybug. French vanilla sounds great.

Off to work now. Sigh.

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
I have strep throat, and have had a fever all day. :(

I now have antibiotics, but there's no way I can take any time off from work. So, just popping in to pout a minute. And to beg for ice cream...

Pretty please?

Ouch. I hope the antibiotics kick in quick. I hate strep throat - when every swallow makes you wince in pain.

Feel better soon - and I hope you pop in later so we know you're okay. Sending icy thoughts your way.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ouch. I hope the antibiotics kick in quick. I hate strep throat - when every swallow makes you wince in pain.

Feel better soon - and I hope you pop in later so we know you're okay. Sending icy thoughts your way.

Thanks, Sheila. I'm okay. I was able to leave work a bit early, so now I'm on the couch, checking email and AW, and then I'll take a nap. :)

Honeybug

Working my way up!
Registered
Reaction score
Mmmmm, thanks Honeybug. French vanilla sounds great.

Off to work now. Sigh.

*Bounces in* Glad to help out! Hopefully you'll be "bouncing" back soon. Get some chewable Vitamin C tabs (best ones from GNC, if you have one) 500 ml. Just let it dissolve instead of chewing, helps the throat! You'll need to take at least 4-6 a day. *Takes off doctors jacket* Should help tremendously! Get better soon. :D *Bounces out*

MJWare

Kidlit gang, Junior member.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.MJAWare.com
Can you say overworked? I've been there before; just get so ran down you catch anything.
I think you need to take a personal day ;)

I now have antibiotics, but there's no way I can take any time off from work. So, just popping in to pout a minute. And to beg for ice cream...

Pretty please?

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, this is not the time of year to be getting strep throat. Definitely overworked.

I'd send you some ice cream, but since I just started school, it would probably come with little kid germs attached. that's the last thing you need right now...

So I will send you some nice sweet nappy-time lullabies...

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can you say overworked? I've been there before; just get so ran down you catch anything.
I think you need to take a personal day ;)

Yeah, this is not the time of year to be getting strep throat. Definitely overworked.

I'd send you some ice cream, but since I just started school, it would probably come with little kid germs attached. that's the last thing you need right now...

So I will send you some nice sweet nappy-time lullabies...

Can't argue about the overworked part. That kind of comes with my career choice.

The nappy-time lullabies worked. I've been asleep all day, and only now have woken up. I'm going to eat some chicken noodle soup a colleague was kind enough to leave on my doorstep, and then back to bed.

Sadly, I do have to go to work tomorrow morning, but hopefully I'll be able to leave early again. Fingers crossed. :)

Thanks for the ice-cream and lullabies and well wishes. :D

EagerReader

commaholic and adverb junkie
Registered
Reaction score

Pretty please?

Awww. I hope you feel better soon. By the time you get three doses in, you should be feeling on the mend. At least that seemed to be the magic number with my kids. How about some homemade peach ice cream with a whiskey syrup dribble?

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I survived my first week of kindergarten! Only a few minor glitches:

I lost kids 3 times. One kinder likes to howl like a wolf during circle time. Another isn't quite yet toilet-trained so he's coming to school in pull-ups. A third likes to go up behind people and blow on their necks "because they get sweaty." One of my first-graders cried all of one morning and left a tear-stain as big as a silver dollar on my white shirt.

27 kids in all so far, and I've gotten a new kindergartner a day for the last 3 days. The straight kinder classes are full at 31, so every new student registered will be coming to me...

My 13 kinders go home at 11:00, and then I have a truly adorable group of first-graders for the afternoon. Every single one of the 14 first-graders is either: 1) just learning
English, 2) in speech therapy, 3) learning disabled or 4) all 3. Several of them still don't know their numbers to 10 after a full year of kinder.

I can honestly say that I have never worked so hard in all my 20 years of teaching. For 2.5% less money than last year.

If the rest of the states are anything like California, the biggest victims of the crappy economy are school-age children.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hang in there, Judy! We need good teachers like you in the classroom. Our future is in your hands. :D

Last edited:

SheilaJG

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I survived my first week of kindergarten! Only a few minor glitches:

Only a few minor glitches??? I guess that's why I'd never make it as a teacher - I'd be a complete basket case if I had to deal with all that. I'm in awe of teachers, I really am.

I guess you don't have a teacher's assistant. Or parent volunteers.

But think of all the quirky characters you'll come up with! That kid blowing on people's necks - now that's funny.

Isn't the first week the hardest? Hopefully the kids will get in the groove and things will smooth out. Smish is right - we really need great teachers like you!

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Jud
It's lovely you are so positive. I would make a terrible teacher. I had to laugh at the wolf-howling boy, esp. because Timp's book is about a boy who was raised by wolves going to school for the first time.

CharleyGirl

Glad to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
fallingleaflets.blogspot.com
27 kids in all so far, and I've gotten a new kindergartner a day for the last 3 days. The straight kinder classes are full at 31, so every new student registered will be coming to me...

Incredible...I had a classroom of 12 four-year-olds for one year, and there were days when I was pulling my hair out. My hat's off to you, miracle worker!

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
They do sound cute, Judy ... at least from this distance! We've made it through our first two weeks. I have one that yells "Arrrgh!" like a pirate, and one who laughs hysterically over nothing. And one who should be in pull-ups. But I don't have nearly as many as you. Nice that the little ones go home at midday and you can focus on the first graders. I'll bet they will blossom ... now that they've figured out what school is all about, they'll be ready to learn.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
JSK, that sounds like some extremely adorable chaos.

Honeybug

Working my way up!
Registered
Reaction score
JudScotKev--Our schools are overflowing here also. Thank goodness for the teachers and parents they allow parent volunteers! I loved being at school with my kids and it helped the teacher tremendously. Does your school allow parents to help out? If they don't, you should get them to try it for a short period of time. It gives parents a better insight as to what a teacher really has to deal with on a daily basis! Best of Luck to you and your students. They do sound like a wonderful group! ;)

Honeybug

Working my way up!
Registered
Reaction score
:) *Realizes there only a couple of days before Sept.* Are we ready for our Sept prompt??? *Bouncing with anticipation* :D

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:) *Realizes there only a couple of days before Sept.* Are we ready for our Sept prompt??? *Bouncing with anticipation* :D

Ha! I just got my August prompt in yesterday, and you're ready for September. Sheesh. :D

I'm sure Judy will have something great for us for September, but you'll have to be patient. September isn't here yet. :e2tongue:

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Day after tomorrow, Honeybug. Don't get your knickers in a knot!!!

EagerReader

commaholic and adverb junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Too true!! I laughed so hard, I had tears!! Thanks for the link Kitty Pryde!

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
OMG, I'm going to make both my boys sit and listen to it until they have it memorized and I never have to say any of it ever again!!!!

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody doing anything exciting over the long weekend? I'm going to the Hollywood Bowl (!) to see Earth Wind And Fire (!!) with fireworks (!!!). Then three days of camping. I've been to the library and I am stocked up with stuff to read. Kids books are like candy! I've got Out Of My Mind, Eleven, and Highway Cats, plus some YA, fantasy shorts, graphic novels and a Shakespeare play. I'm bringing my notebooks too of course; at this rate I won't have to talk to anyone for the whole weekend :D