NYC Pitch and Shop Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

mnmamma

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone here ever attended the NYC Pitch and Shop Conference? I heard about it on Miss Snark's venerable blog (she thought well of it) and decided to apply. I was accepted, but now I have cold feet. Is it worth the five hundred bucks to go (not to mention airfare and food and lodging)? Does anyone know? The faculty is no doubt impressive and the concept is exciting, however I am reluctant to pony up some of my family's limited resources for something that could end up being a bust.

If anyone here has attended in the past or know someone who has, I would love, love, love some information.

Thanks all!

Kelly

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Normally I scoff at pitch sessions. They're usually cattle calls--scores of hopeful writers, a few exhausted agents and editors, 15 or 20 minutes to make the pitch. The ones that make writers pay an extra fee for the pitch session are just a racket. I'm sure a few sales and representation offers have resulted from these sessions, but I suspect that for most writers, it's just a verbal slush pile.

However, this workshop sounds like a better setup. Participants are limited, so there's a more reasonable ratio of pitchers to pitchees, and you're actually given help with your pitches. I think the odds of getting published as a result of this conference are probably slim, but you might receive some useful feedback and industry info.

- Victoria

Status
Not open for further replies.