• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Chipmunka Publishing

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
elindsen:
Yes, they actually send customers emails on why they are a great pub.

Email them back telling them that you never agreed to receive spam communications from them and there is no clearly defined customer relationship between you for the purposes of the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations 2003 so they need to remove you from their email database. Add that if they persist in emailing you, then you will make a complaint to the Information Commissioner and ask them to investigate. More details on what the ICO can do are here: http://www.ico.gov.uk/complaints/privacy_and_electronic_communications.aspx

(Note that the above might not work if, as a condition to providing the review, you ticked a box saying that you'd accept emails from Chipmunka - but they should have given you an opt-out on that).

elindsen:
For the low, low price of 139 euros, or whever they use in London, sorry not very worldly ;)

How very dare you! Euros? EUROS?! We're British! We have the pound! God save the Queen and pip pip!

:walks away whistling Rule Britannia:

MM

inpassive

Registered
Reaction score
Is this not abuse of people with mental illness

If authors are constantly being spammed etc by this publisher (who claims to be "the mental health publisher" and the world leader in mental empowerment etc btw) - is that not harassing and abusing vulnerable people/authors who have mental illness?

If it is then it isn't just bad - it is very wrong

Last edited:

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
inpassive:
If authors are constantly being spammed etc by this publisher (who claims to be "the mental health publisher" and the world leader in mental empowerment etc btw) - is that not harassing and abusing vulnerable people/authors who have mental illness?

If an author signs up with a publisher, then they're in a business relationship and it's not automatically spam. An author can always email them back and say they want to be taken off the database and cease all contact, but the legal remedies are limited unless the emails themselves contain abusive messages.

MM

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I can't say that I have ever had a publisher I was writing for add me to their mailing list. It seems rather presumptuous.

elindsen

Zombie lovin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.augustkert.blogspot.com
Thanks for the advice MM. Sorry about the pound thing. Us Americans can be ignornant ;)

I sent an email to them about taking me off of their list. I got an email back saying they would love too look at my MS. Again, why they assume every customer is a writer I don't know.

Not just because of my email problems but from my friend's opinion...please stay away from these guys.

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
... I sent an email to them about taking me off of their list. I got an email back saying they would love too look at my MS. Again, why they assume every customer is a writer I don't know.

In answer to your question, they're not looking for 'customers' they're looking for authors to make money from, not readers.

And yes, this is a 'publisher' that should be avoided like plague, along with a few others here in the B&BC forum with the 'sell to the author and to heck with getting readers' mentality.

inpassive

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice MM. Sorry about the pound thing. Us Americans can be ignornant ;)

I sent an email to them about taking me off of their list. I got an email back saying they would love too look at my MS. Again, why they assume every customer is a writer I don't know.

Not just because of my email problems but from my friend's opinion...please stay away from these guys.

Yes - of course, they want to see your MS. No disrespect folks, but it seems they will publish any MS - it is all about - Money as they want money from their authors in some way or another - fast track, for seminars, order 'so many' and we will give you more for free (rubbish), for art work etc etc.

The ethos of Chipmunka is for authors to promote their own books BUT the authors have to buy the books to do that from the publisher. So the publisher is making money out of the authors from this as well as all the other author stuff they promote etc

But the big worry is many of the people they are targetting are very vulnerable and this publisher knows that. They could do a lot of harm to people's mental health - and yet they declare that they are the mental health publisher!

Avoid! Avoid!

Last edited:

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

inpassive

Registered
Reaction score

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Aha! I missed that completely - my brain takes some time to wake up on a Sunday morning.

Well, the Latchford connection would explain Mr Pegler's enthusiasm for Best Global Music. BGP appears to be yet another e-pub/POD willing to "except" almost everything, including poetry. And if the website is anything to go by they don't employ proofreaders...

Last edited:

inpassive

Registered
Reaction score
As the Art Council of England fund them any concerns/worries/bad practice/unprofessional conduct etc about them should be sent to The Art Council - would think that is the best way to handle this tbh

[email protected]
Contact us

• Tel: 0845 300 6200
  • Fax: 0161 934 4426
  • Textphone: 020 7973 6564
  • Enquiry form
14 Great Peter Street
London
SW1P 3NQ

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
inpassive:
As the Art Council of England fund them any concerns/worries/bad practice/unprofessional conduct etc about them should be sent to The Art Council - would think that is the best way to handle this tbh

You'd think so, but in fact the Arts Council don't do a blind thing about it. If you check out the YWO/Legend Press thread you'll see that despite people notifying them of concerns about a potential vanity press, they gave those behind it a further award once the original term came to an end.

The Arts Council doesn't police vanity publishers. What they want is to give cash to projects with a business case that seems to support the arts. If you tick those criteria, then you stand a better chance of getting money out of them. The only thing they are hot on is getting companies to take down their badge when the grant runs out.

My suggestion would be to email MIND and the other chapters that support this press, pointing out that it's essentially a vanity operation and therefore could lead to people with illnesses losing money. However, I've got to say that I tried that myself and got no response at all.

MM

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
The Prime Minister really isn't going to do anything about a vanity publisher.

By all means contact Mind and Sane but I do have experience of this and it accomplished nothing. I didn't even get an acknowledgement.

MM

inpassive

Registered
Reaction score
No, the prime minster/president won't do anything himself and won't even see the email but the aides in his department will and when they realise his name is being used to endorse/support this 'publisher' on its website and that it is exploiting vulnerable people - they will act. No politician takes kindly to being 'used' and would not want to be associated with anything that is bad/inappropriate etc

Last edited:

sjb2012

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everybody.

I'm the chap who wrote the distasteful blog regarding Chipmunka, their weird copyright issues, and the sad state of Mr Pegler's character.

I think one poster here really had it right when they said that my intention was to very quickly cast Chipmunka and Jason Pegler in an incredibly bad light. Not especially noble, I agree. Hopefully it has been effective, though.

I take the point that I could have sued the company, but I am no longer in the UK, the emails I received were sent anonymously and I doubt they would stand up in court, and most importantly I would have been forced to reveal my address.

The problem with the book they were publishing was that it was a character assassination of most of the people in my family - some who do deserve it, and some who definitely do not. The book was written by someone who was (and still is) severely mentally ill, and was a way of lashing out at people the author wanted to hurt and defame.

Probably the best solution for me would have been to just notify Chipmunka of the inaccuracies in the book, and to inform them they were publishing material to which I held the copyright, had that dealt with and then walked away.

As it was, Chipmunka actually conspired with the author to discredit me, saying that nobody would believe my ravings (I was always polite, if firm, in my dealings with the company), with Jason Pegler even going so far as to say in one email that I was just a disturbed individual and the book should just be published as it was originally, copyrighted text and all (while I would agree that I have been damaged mentally, I don't believe it invalidates my copyright, and is definitely not something I would expect to hear from a publisher who supports the mental health community).

Email subjects passed back and forth referring to me as a 'nutter,' and a 'pain.' Understandably this is upsetting.

Basically Chipmunka aided and enhanced a member of my family's delusions to the point that we will never have contact again. I know this is not entirely Chipmunka's fault, but I also know that they are not blameless. In one email Andrew Latchford said that they had similar cases going on a lot of the time, and that eventually everything would blow over.

They crowed at one point that there would be no need to even consult a lawyer (though they said they had spoken to their legal team, who had told them they could publish my letters) because if I spoke to a lawyer he/she would "tell [me] to grow up."

I don't know if any of this is coming across well, but essentially I found that instead of any beneficial effect to the mental health of my relative, they were simply making things worse all the time. They set me up as an insane enemy and portrayed me as such to my relative.

So, to the blog - originally I knew that I could not achieve any satisfactory resolution to the copyright issue without causing myself significant pain and also risking this spreading to my new family overseas. I didn't feel it was right that they should get away with what they had done - I felt people should know that they had displayed ignorance of publishing law, that they had enabled my relative's dysfunction, and that they had mocked me for being mentally ill.

Then Jason Pegler released his autobiography for free for a limited time as an eBook. I downloaded it, expecting to read it and find amusing examples of bad writing. These I did find, but I also found the passage where Jason Pegler described how as a teenager he raped a girl. This was scandalous, of course, but I figured he'd at least be repentant, and that at the end of the book he would describe how he felt bad about the things he had done.

Instead I read that he said that he did not believe he had it in him to become a rapist. "Jason," I said to myself, "you are one."

My relative's mental health issues stem in no small part from her being sexually abused (as do mine). I was horrified that the person who was now exploiting her, and making her illness worse was also someone who could believe that their sexual assault was just some kind of youthful folly.

I figured to hell with being reasonable because I couldn't believe that this was in his book - a book that Stephen Fry recommended, for heaven's sake - and that his company was lauded for all the good things it did while this flagship book sat there with its horrible dissonance.

So I wrote my dirty little post, and I think it has at least had a little effect. The celebrity endorsements still stand, and the funding from Mind and the Arts Council seems to continue for now, but I hope that in time this will not be the case.

In any case, I know some people have expressed doubt that the passages were taken in context, so I feel I should at least support myself as best I can there.

I found that Google Books got around to indexing the book in question, here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=cnWwYL8fH0YC&dq

The relevant passages, for anyone who may care to see, are here:

Description of rape: http://books.google.com/books?id=cnWwYL8fH0YC&pg=PA109&lpg=PA109&dq=jason+pegler+rapist&source=bl&ots=3V-2mghVyv&sig=3mGAexNA0jir0fH2p12relmqR0U&hl=en&sa=X&ei=KemjT4rPPJOY8gSwptXQCA&ved=0CHAQ6AEwCA#v=snippet&q=%22who%20had%20passed%20out%22&f=false

Denial of being a rapist: http://books.google.com/books?id=cn...CA&ved=0CHAQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=rapist&f=false

I suppose apologies are in order for dirtying the pages of this thread with my grubby revelations, but I'd like to at least explain in part how this came to be, and to show that dealing with Chipmunka even when you don't have a contract with them is unpleasant in the extreme.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, those of you who did. It's appreciated.

Last edited:

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
You know, if you have evidence that a specific individual committed a specific crime, there are real-world authorities who should be notified, rather than complaining about it on a writers' website.

sjb2012

Registered
Reaction score
You know, if you have evidence that a specific individual committed a specific crime, there are real-world authorities who should be notified, rather than complaining about it on a writers' website.

Not while protecting myself and my family from exposure to more craziness.

most importantly I would have been forced to reveal my address.
[...]
I knew that I could not achieve any satisfactory resolution to the copyright issue without causing myself significant pain and also risking this spreading to my new family overseas.

sjb2012

Registered
Reaction score
The cops don't need to reveal the names of tipsters.

This isn't the right venue for your feud.

Filing a DMCA complaint does require that the complainant reveal their identity and whereabouts. Given that I also got Chipmunka to withdraw the offending book from sale, there isn't really much of a case to be made anyway.

I don't really understand the hostility here, other than that you are somewhat confused, which is fair enough as I haven't seen you post in this thread before so what I am talking about wouldn't make much sense.

I'm responding to some musings about my motivation and the veracity of my claims which went on earlier in this very thread. Sorry, I guess?

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I don't really understand the hostility here, other than that you are somewhat confused, which is fair enough as I haven't seen you post in this thread before so what I am talking about wouldn't make much sense.

I can assure you, James isn't confused and knows exactly what's been discussed in this thread. James knows much, much more about all of this than you do, and is one of the moderators of this forum.

sjb2012

Registered
Reaction score
I can assure you, James isn't confused and knows exactly what's been discussed in this thread. James knows much, much more about all of this than you do, and is one of the moderators of this forum.

I see that he is a moderator, but I appreciate the warning ;)

I figured it would be presumptuous to assume he would have complete recall of a thread that hadn't been posted in since March, but of course you know him better than I do so you have me at a disadvantage there.

Hopefully I was able to answer his implicit question "why didn't you go to the police" adequately. I certainly did not mean to imply that he is in any way victim-blaming, if that is your concern - and I understand that a fella has to watch his behind - nobody wants to be sued.

It is a little weird to find a place where people have been discussing my motives and honesty, but of course I am well prepared for hostility/criticism, particularly where it is warranted.

It isn't and wasn't my intention to turn this thread into my own personal rant against Chipmunka - I already have plenty of room reserved for just that purpose.

If anybody would like to discuss anything else with me, then I guess the best thing would be to take it off the board because it would be a derail - IMs will work just fine.

Finally, thanks for the chance to back up my claims, folks - it is greatly appreciated.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
By all means defend yourself, sir, and share your experience. :) Just remember that posts here are public, and unfortunately even those telling the absolute truth have found themselves on the wrong end of legal action. And it really is best if you can prove criminal acts to send that proof to someone who can do something about it if at all possible, because we're just a writers's forum.

That's all Jim was trying to say; he wasn't rebuking you (and neither am I), just trying to help. We don't want to see you or anyone else hurt, especially not by a company like Chipmunka.

sjb2012

Registered
Reaction score
Fantastic. Thanks to both of you for clarifying. I believe I do understand the risks I am taking - of course only time will tell.

Fingers crossed, eh.