Registered
Reaction score
These are our only options?

whistlelock

Whiskey Rebel
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow I ended up in Fort Worth. Dunno how that h
My money is on the Minnesotian, Pawlenty. He's the anti-Obama. Same age, similiar backgrounds, but he's conservative and anti-choice.

McCain can't pick Lieberman- althought that would bring in a lot independants and conservative Democrats. Romeny, he's a walking lightning rod for elite out of touch ads, and Ridge?

Well, has anyone had anything good to say about him other than he's a Reaganesque Republican?

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
Feel free to add your own, but those are the top media picks.

Got it. My bad for not following it. I was hoping there'd be a female choice.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whether it's true or not the media is all over Romney being the pick. I live in MA and what a bad choice that guy is. He was one of our worst govs ever. And that is saying something because we specialize in bad govs.

The healthcare for everyone he pushed through has been a big disaster for people and hospitals. Some of the local hospitals who provide free care now aren't being paid by the state because the people don't have insurance. Problem is in many cities there are large poor and illegal populations who use the hospitals. Our local hospital has lost out on $ 4 million they can't get reimbursed for. The rub is the hospitals cannot refuse uninsured patients but can't get paid for the either.

For some families the cost of their healthcare even under this plan is still more than half their monthly income so they too remian uninsured.

After gay marriage was allowed Romney brought back a 1913 Jim Crow law that banned any couple whose marriage would not be valid in their home state from marrying in MA. It was originally for inter-racial marriages. Nice Mit return the state to the days of seperate drinking fountains.

He also said that if a child was not doing well in school the parents of that child to take mandatory parenting classes.

He also seems to have a problem deciding where he is from. When he was running the Olympics he sold himself as being a Utah native. When he was running for gov of MA he sold himself as a MA native and during the pres primaries when he was campaigning in Michigan where his father had been gov he sold himself and a Michigan native

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I opined Lieberman, whose stock seems to have risen in recent days. But I might have voted for a generic unnamed surprise candidate, had that choice been in the poll. I think McCain's a bit more likely to make a surprise choice than Obama was, though not much.

Something in my gut tells me it won't be Romney. Might be the bad hamburger I ate last night.

caw

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Indeed clever if he really announces his choice as Obama takes the stage.

I don't see he has a lot of choices. I also can't believe he'll pick Romney -- way too many negatives. And I can't see Lieberman either -- too much of a voting record on things that are anathema to conservatives.

Pawlenty by default, perhaps. Although if he could come up with a surprise conservative woman, that would be interesting.

Ann Coulter, anyone?

soleary

Registered
Reaction score
On occasion and for my own amusement, I listen to the religious right talk radio stations in my new home of 1 year, Dallas TX. Lieberman is freaking them out, and its fun to hear them sweat on-air. How could they ever support a Jew? Jesus was one, but that doesn't count I guess. The next one they seem to be up in arms about it Romney. If McCain wants to try to pull the religious right, it seems he might need to find a candidate who isn't Jewish or Mormon.

vixey

C'est la vie!
Registered
Reaction score
On occasion and for my own amusement, I listen to the religious right talk radio stations in my new home of 1 year, Dallas TX. Lieberman is freaking them out, and its fun to hear them sweat on-air. How could they ever support a Jew? Jesus was one, but that doesn't count I guess. The next one they seem to be up in arms about it Romney. If McCain wants to try to pull the religious right, it seems he might need to find a candidate who isn't Jewish or Mormon.

I guess my take on it is push the conservatives a bit. Where else do they have to go? Obama? I say go for Lieberman and make the people happy who aren't entirely liberal enough to sit in the Obama camp.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
You know when you think about it he really dosen't have a lot of good choices. Nobody really helps him bridge some of his weaknesses and there isn't anyone besides pawlenty that won't be ravaged as a bad pick by the dems. Joe L would be suicide, romney will get destroyed by Biden in the debates, not to mention the commercial that will play all next week taughting the tickets 12 plus homes between them. Actually what I thought would be a wise counterpunch would be that Gov, from Alaska. From what I know about her she is a tough cookie, knock out looks, great family gal, with a shining personality, something McCain sorely lacks.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Actually what I thought would be a wise counterpunch would be that Gov, from Alaska. From what I know about her she is a tough cookie, knock out looks, great family gal, with a shining personality, something McCain sorely lacks.

Sarah Palin is potentially a future star in the Repub ranks, but she makes Obama's resume look long and detailed by comparison. She's been Governor less than two years, and prior to that her only elective office was as mayor of a small bedroom town 40 miles north of Anchorage. She's also just recently mishandled the dismissal of the state's public safety commissioner in a clumsy way, getting it mixed up with personal family business of her own.

She also brings McCain absolutely nothing from a strategic standpoint, and a debate with Joe Biden would not be pretty.

She is smart, articulate and has lots of potential. Worth watching for the future, possibly for a Senate run a few years down the road.

Oh, and then there's a real strategic matter. Palin's Lt. Governor is a guy named Sean Parnell, who is running against Congressman-for-Life Don Young in the Republican Primary, which was held Tuesday. That race remains up in the air, Young leading Parnell by 152 votes with some 8,000 questioned and absentee ballots still to be counted. The smart money suggests that Parnell should do better than young in the absentee balloting, for demographic reasons.

McCain hates Don Young (and his Senate cohort Ted Stevens) passionately, for a lot of long-term reasons involving pork-barrel politics, earmarks, etc. He'd like nothing more than to see Young out of office. But if he were to choose Palin, and win the election, Parnell would then succeed to the governorship, leaving that Congressional Seat in Young's hands again.

Provided, that is, Young could beat a well-thought-of young Democrat named Ethan Berkowitz, who currently leads Young in the polls; Parnell vs. Berkowitz is a much closer race in the polls.

caw

Last edited: