Bob Barr

SLThomas

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone on this board plan to vote for Bob Barr? Do you think that many former Ron Paul supporters will vote for him? How's his campaign going?

We don't hear about either Nader (whom I don't really like) or Barr on the 24-hrs news channels...

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I expect true libertarians to stay home in droves, or perhaps hold their nose and vote for the Constitution party. Bob Barr makes me ashamed to call myself libertarian. The party and the philosophy no longer have much in common.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I've pretty much decided on voting for Barr, even though I really don't know much about him, despite his having served various positions in/for Georgia. So basically, I'll be voting for the Libertarian party. My other options are to vote for a mainstream candidate, vote for Green Party nominee Cynthia McKinney (or Ralph Nader? I hadn't even heard he's running this year!), or stay home, and all those are a bit more repulsive to me than Barr, even if he's something like a "LINO" (Libertarian In Name Only).

I'd encourage anyone who would otherwise stay home to vote for a "third-party" candidate instead, regardless of who it is. They don't have a chance of getting elected, but if one or more of them got a significant percentage of the vote, it just might send a message to the two "mainstream" parties.

Perhaps my best reasonable hope is that the winner doesn't get a majority of the votes. I recall Bush's first term he claimed he had a "mandate" and I got sick of it.

SLThomas

Registered
Reaction score
True, even if a third party candidate has no chance, at least you're voting! I sometimes annulled my vote here...That way I still use my right to vote but give my caution to no one.

I think that I'll probably do that next Canadian federal election. All of the main four parties have things in their programms that really piss me off. Really, really piss me off. It wasn't like that last two elections.

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
I'm all for the idea of voting third party, but Barr just doesn't seem like his views are very refined. Although at least he seems like he's taking his run seriously unlike McKinney and Nader who are just doing it to get on TV.