The Kidlit Gang's Support and Accountability Thread

SuperKate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidbooklist.com
Yes, Tromboli, do take care of yourself and get lots of rest!

Oh noes! At least she did it after the final was put together and not during the heavy editing stage? I hope you like your new editor.

For my part, I think I've mostly been slacking off. I had a good bit of downtime after the-most-complicated-baby-shower-in-history and just before that, I took a blow to the head and ended up with a concussion I'm just now starting to recover from—and a huge black eye that still isn't gone.

So someone, at some point, had told me to post pictures of the baby shower decorations the husband and I slaved over, so here they are on my photobucket.

Heza, that looks awesome! So impressive and Pinterest-y! I'm sorry about the blow to the head - hope you're feeling better!

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! It was a lot of work... but looking back, I'm satisfied with the way everything turned out.

ETA: also, I stole all my ideas from Pinterest, so that's why.... lol.

Last edited:

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
I'm sorry to hear that Shelia. I don't know all the implications of an editor stepping down but either way its disappointing and a little scary. Hope everything works out and you find someone else who clicks!

Heza, the shower looks great!

SuperKate

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidbooklist.com
Hi everyone, just checking in. I've been working away on my WIP, and it's been SO fun. I just figured out a main plot point and motivation, and have decided to do third person again. I'm much happier drafting than revising, so it's really great to be back doing that. Yay! Hope everyone is having a productive summer!

killdeer

Registered
Reaction score
I've been busy with edits - first round was big picture stuff, then came line edits, and I just finished off the copy edits (all this over a few months). Next, I think, is the first pass on the final manuscript. The bad news is - my editor just quit to focus on her own writing full time.

Congrats on the progress! Bummer about your editor; that must be stressful. Here's hoping it doesn't affect your project.

Heza, those are spectacular! I hope they will still be on display after the shower! Sorry to hear about your concussion, take it easy.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
It's great your WIP is going so well, Kate!

And thanks, killdeer. My concussion is better. I get headaches every now and then, but the bruising is all gone and I'm feeling fine.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, folks! What's up? How's it going? Whatcha doing?

Anyone want to share some progress or need any support?

I'm not writing just now, but I am doing a beta read. Beta reading, for some reason, always coaxes me to work more on my own stuff afterward... probably because I feel guilty that someone's written a whole, wonderful story and here I am twiddling my thumbs. ;) You people inspire me.

Supergirlofnc

New fish; Swimming with the current
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, folks! What's up? How's it going? Whatcha doing?

Anyone want to share some progress or need any support?

I'm not writing just now, but I am doing a beta read. Beta reading, for some reason, always coaxes me to work more on my own stuff afterward... probably because I feel guilty that someone's written a whole, wonderful story and here I am twiddling my thumbs. ;) You people inspire me.

I didn't notice you'd had an concussion, heza! I'm glad you're feeling better. And beta-ing is great. That, or even reading, many times gets me unstuck and inspired.

As for me, I'm waiting to hear from my editor about my draft. I know there's lots of work to do with it and I'm a bit nervous. I'm trying to outline a draft but I need a certain character to be pivotal and I haven't figured her part out yet.

My current plan is to brainstorm and fret for a while :)

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't notice you'd had an concussion, heza! I'm glad you're feeling better.

Thanks! I'm doing well, now.

As for me, I'm waiting to hear from my editor about my draft. I know there's lots of work to do with it and I'm a bit nervous. I'm trying to outline a draft but I need a certain character to be pivotal and I haven't figured her part out yet.

My current plan is to brainstorm and fret for a while :)
I can help you fret. I'm really good at fretting! I hope the editor comes back with good stuff (or at least not worse than you're expecting). And I know what you mean about the character. I often get stuck on a specific thing and take a while to work my way through it. But you will. Good luck!

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
Well I'm still querying my MG novel, this time with a brand new query, which I hope is better than the last one! *sigh* I sent three out this week.

Safe to say the last round of queries netted a zero from agents. I have two slender threads of hope though! Two publishers have asked for the full. Now I wait and query and wait some more!!!

Supergirlofnc

Registered
Reaction score
Well I'm still querying my MG novel, this time with a brand new query, which I hope is better than the last one! *sigh* I sent three out this week.

Safe to say the last round of queries netted a zero from agents. I have two slender threads of hope though! Two publishers have asked for the full. Now I wait and query and wait some more!!!

Good luck with the queries and with the exciting and promising fulls from publishers! Yay and query away :)

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
Le sigh- another, very fast, rejection form an agent this morning...Not the happiest thing to get early in the morning... Though at least I got a reply this time! Most of my queries just 'time out' with no response.

I should send a couple more queries out this week!

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
We all get those pesky rejections. It's all part of being a writer. Shrug them off and pick yourself up and send out a few more. You gotta be in it to win it.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I have managed to sit down after work and make book progress every night this week. I'm not really good at the BIC method, so this is a big deal for me.

But I'm feeling a slump coming on. We're babysitting my sister's dog this week and both hers and mine come sit in the office with me while I write... but they both feel like they need to whine the whole time and it's like nails on a chalkboard. Also, so I could write, my husband has been taking on the cooking the first half of the week, and now it's my turn. So as tired as I am after work (and as much as I hate cooking), I worry this will discourage me (because I'm lazy).

I'll welcome any encouragement I can get!

Le sigh- another, very fast, rejection form an agent this morning...Not the happiest thing to get early in the morning... Though at least I got a reply this time! Most of my queries just 'time out' with no response.

I should send a couple more queries out this week!

*hugs*

Did you send out more queries?

Supergirlofnc

Registered
Reaction score
I have managed to sit down after work and make book progress every night this week. I'm not really good at the BIC method, so this is a big deal for me.

But I'm feeling a slump coming on. We're babysitting my sister's dog this week and both hers and mine come sit in the office with me while I write... but they both feel like they need to whine the whole time and it's like nails on a chalkboard. Also, so I could write, my husband has been taking on the cooking the first half of the week, and now it's my turn. So as tired as I am after work (and as much as I hate cooking), I worry this will discourage me (because I'm lazy).

I'll welcome any encouragement I can get!

I'm sending you all the encouraging vibes I can! It sounds like you're in for a busy week. Try just making yourself write some. Even if it doesn't feel like progress, I think writing any is. If you're really tired, though, you should let yourself rest some. Nothing's wrong with taking a day or even a week off if the non-writing life is getting hectic and full of whiny dogs.

Of course, if what you want or need right now is for someone to say get to writing then GO FORTH AND GET TO WORK :whip:

heza

Registered
Reaction score
The dog's are crying, I'm congested and tired, and the husband wanted to watch tv together because he's going out of town this weekend--but I have still managed to work for a whole 45 minutes!

Thanks for the tough love, guys!

Eisen

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I'm happy I found this thread - I've been looking for an accountability thread for kidlit folks! :) I just started revising a ms and this is my first time to revise and rewrite something long. So will need a place like this for accountability and for checking-in!

heza

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I'm happy I found this thread - I've been looking for an accountability thread for kidlit folks! :) I just started revising a ms and this is my first time to revise and rewrite something long. So will need a place like this for accountability and for checking-in!

Welcome to the Kidlit Gang, Eisen. Good luck with your revision. Check in periodically and let us know how it's going!