AprNoWriMo and Script Frenzy!

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
Entangled is over a year old, but they've had some great success stories already.

Carina also publishes UF.

I knew Entangled was kind of new, but I didn't remember how it was. However, a year is pretty good for a new publisher. From what I hear, some don't even last that long.

I know Carina Press publishes UF, as does Samahain and Evernight, but I think all three require a very strong or at least, present, romantic undertone/overtone to them. Plus, nothing against the three of them, I think they're great publishers, but the last time I saw their UF sections, they were kind of small. I was told to aim for publishers that sold my genre, not necessarily specialized, but sold a fair amount to a lot of it.

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
But again, much thanks. So, for future reference, should I look to see if the imprint, not the main publisher takes non-agent books/queries. and do you have any advice for going about finding the Submission Guidelines for them? I always have a hard time locating them. I kind of know what publishers to look for, like you said, look at the UF books that I like, and try there. I could also look at the SF/F and UF-sub forums for publishers I suppose. Any more suggestions for finding one? I mean I'm nowhere near publisher ready, but it's nice to have an idea of what I should do(or be doing).

You're welcome! I'm glad I could help. I'm not publisher ready yet either, but after getting frustrated searching through some e-publishers, (the ones I knew of at the time all required romance which I don't write), I started looking up the publishers of my favorite authors. Besides, it never hurts to be prepared, and to possibly have a list of publishers to submit your stuff to when the time comes. :)

As K. Taylor said, look at the imprint's guidelines. Some imprints don't require an agent, while others do. And the best way to find the guidelines is to google [Publisher you're looking up here] Submission Guidelines. I know some of those web pages are hard to navigate.

And Good news! Carnia no longer requires romance in their stories. :)

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for this list as well. The thing about subbing to these houses without an agent (except for Tor I think) is that your story will more than likely end up in the slush pile and may not get read. I hope I'm wrong about that though.

You're welcome.

And I don't know if what you say is true, or not. I do know that Ace and Roc say to allow five months for a response, so I think it's worth a shot. :)

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
You're welcome! I'm glad I could help. I'm not publisher ready yet either, but after getting frustrated searching through some e-publishers, (the ones I knew of at the time all required romance which I don't write), I started looking up the publishers of my favorite authors. Besides, it never hurts to be prepared, and to possibly have a list of publishers to submit your stuff to when the time comes. :)

As K. Taylor said, look at the imprint's guidelines. Some imprints don't require an agent, while others do. And the best way to find the guidelines is to google [Publisher you're looking up here] Submission Guidelines. I know some of those web pages are hard to navigate.

And Good news! Carnia no longer requires romance in their stories. :)

See, I had nearly the same problem. I write romance but it's a sub plot at the most now. Most of the e-Pubs I saw wanted basically PNR for their UF sections it seemed.

See, I wasn't looking at the imprint. I was looking at the main house. That's why I was confused about Penguin. I don't think there are any Random House imprints like that, are there? I think they all require an agent.

Wow. Really? It's definitely been some time since I've looked at them then. Last I checked, they needed a romance plot, and only had like three books in that section.

You're welcome.

And I don't know if what you say is true, or not. I do know that Ace and Roc say to allow five months for a response, so I think it's worth a shot. :)

It couldn't hurt to try. :)

And I looked at Ace and Roc, and they have a lot of big name UF people: Patricia Briggs, Jim Butcher, Charlaine Harris.

Sarah G

Let me live that fantasy.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm slowly getting there. Now up to almost 22,000, might make it to 25,000 later with any luck:)

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I started on something today. I have over 500 words in already but I'm just worried I might be a bit burn out by the time NanoCamp for June rolls around. I hope I'm not. I do hope both of my WIPs go well though. I figured I am actually going to try to write an actual novel. So, I hope I do well.

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Carina's site currently has 13 Fantasy, 7 Paranormal, and 10 Sci-Fi books for sale.

Entangled is showcasing 10 Fantasy, 17 Paranormal (some overlapping with Fantasy), and 7 Sci-Fi.

Musa has 2 pages of Horror and Paranormal, and 4 pages of Spec Fiction.

Lyrical's UF does not require romance. 23 UF books, 11 Fantasy, 7 Horror, 20 Paranormal, 10 Sci-Fi, 7, Thrillers.

Remember about "big" publishers - you will be under a lot more pressure to perform and series get dropped after 2 or 3 books all the time. Not because the writing sucked, but because the books didn't find a big enough audience within the publisher's timeline. E-pubs are MUCH more likely to keep you around and let books have a chance to grow, plus much higher royalties.

It can take SO long to see your book in print with a big publisher that the trend your book is a part of has passed you by and you find no audience while your books are on the shelves for 1 month. You don't break even on your advance, so then you're hoping book 2 catches you up. But it's been a year since book 1 went out, so no one's looking for it except a small number of devoted fans. You didn't earn out, so now your series is toast and you have to hope you can sell another to give that series a second chance.

It happens to fantasy writers all the time. So don't be so quick to dismiss e-pubs.

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
See, I had nearly the same problem. I write romance but it's a sub plot at the most now. Most of the e-Pubs I saw wanted basically PNR for their UF sections it seemed.

For me, it also didn't help that all of the other writers I know from those days are all romance authors. The subject of e-publishing would come up in chat, and the publishers would all want romance. I felt a little left out. It's nice to see some e-publishers branching out beyond romance. It gives me more places to submit to. :)

See, I wasn't looking at the imprint. I was looking at the main house. That's why I was confused about Penguin. I don't think there are any Random House imprints like that, are there? I think they all require an agent.

Wow. Really? It's definitely been some time since I've looked at them then. Last I checked, they needed a romance plot, and only had like three books in that section.

I was only ever looking at the imprint. :D

And yeah, Random House requires you to have an agent.

As for Carina, they used to require romance. Then I happen to check their submissions thread in BR&BC, and found out they no longer require it.

It couldn't hurt to try. :)

And I looked at Ace and Roc, and they have a lot of big name UF people: Patricia Briggs, Jim Butcher, Charlaine Harris.

In all honesty, I looked up Roc because of Jim Butcher. ::points to avatar and quote in signature:: It's kinda obvious he's one of my favorite authors. I adore the Dresden Files.

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
Entangled is showcasing 10 Fantasy, 17 Paranormal (some overlapping with Fantasy), and 7 Sci-Fi.

Lyrical's UF does not require romance. 23 UF books, 11 Fantasy, 7 Horror, 20 Paranormal, 10 Sci-Fi, 7, Thrillers.

Thanks! I did not know that about Lyrical. That's another publisher I can add to my list.

Entangled though requires a strong romantic element to all of their stories, so they're a bust for me. Which is a pity, they have very pretty covers. :(

Musa is on my wait and see list since they're so new. I hope they do well since they seem like they'd be a good place to submit to.

Now I need to get back to work, or I'll never have anything to submit. :tongue

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Birthday lunch turned into a day with family - 7 hours out of the house.

Lunch was quite tasty, but I've gotten nothing done. And tomorrow I have to go back to Uni... So probably won't get a lot done then either.

On the plus side, my birthday is approaching, and once I've got my AW fix, I'm going online-shopping for some things I can't get in stores here. I don't like using my card online, so whenever it's my birthday or Christmas, I always get other people to buy things online for me - only things I can't get here though.

#1 on my list? Absolute Visions - the AW spec fic anthology I was *this* close to being published in! I know it's been out for aaaages, but yeah - Internet purchase, paranoia, and waiting for my birthday...

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
*headdesk* So THAT'S what I've been forgetting... I've been meaning to get a kindle copy of the anthology for months. :tongue Thanks for reminding me, Cliff. :D

On a somewhat-related note, I'm going book shopping today! :D Going to at least three different book stores, and then the university library so I can get more books without having to pay for any of them. :tongue Should be fun.

Going to come home, finish a statistics project, then read something until I fall asleep. :tongue

~Amber~

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
Carina's site currently has 13 Fantasy, 7 Paranormal, and 10 Sci-Fi books for sale.

Remember about "big" publishers - you will be under a lot more pressure to perform and series get dropped after 2 or 3 books all the time. Not because the writing sucked, but because the books didn't find a big enough audience within the publisher's timeline. E-pubs are MUCH more likely to keep you around and let books have a chance to grow, plus much higher royalties.

It can take SO long to see your book in print with a big publisher that the trend your book is a part of has passed you by and you find no audience while your books are on the shelves for 1 month. You don't break even on your advance, so then you're hoping book 2 catches you up. But it's been a year since book 1 went out, so no one's looking for it except a small number of devoted fans. You didn't earn out, so now your series is toast and you have to hope you can sell another to give that series a second chance.

It happens to fantasy writers all the time. So don't be so quick to dismiss e-pubs.

Musa is no longer taking submissions for their Spec-Fic stuff I thought. I could've sworn I read somewhere they were only taking unsolicited stuff now.

Entangled and Lyrical are both good. Lyrical has a LOT of SF/F stuff from what I saw.

Even though Entangled requires romance, I might be fine. Might. I have to see where my WIP goes.

Oh, I'm sorry. I wasn't coming off as though I was trying to diss e-Pubs. I wanted to get with an e-Pub actually. I just kind of thought most wanted borderline PNR for their lines, and I really don't write PNR; I didn't want to feel pressured to put in a romantic element when there wasn't one or one wouldn't entirely fit without the story being clunky.

I think e-Pubs are great honestly. Not that I have anything against "the Big 6" Pubs.

Thanks for all of the info on the e-Pubs though. I probably wouldn't have found it otherwise. Personally, I'd feel more comfortable with an e-Pub.

So, Lyrical, Entangled, Musa, and Carina are the best with Fantasy now. Are there any others out there that are good as far as sales and etc.?

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
*headdesk* So THAT'S what I've been forgetting... I've been meaning to get a kindle copy of the anthology for months. :tongue Thanks for reminding me, Cliff. :D

On a somewhat-related note, I'm going book shopping today! :D Going to at least three different book stores, and then the university library so I can get more books without having to pay for any of them. :tongue Should be fun.

Going to come home, finish a statistics project, then read something until I fall asleep. :tongue

~Amber~

Yeah, I kept forgetting the book too. Whoops. Hope you get loads of books on your jaunt. And good luck with your homework!

I'll be leaving for Uni in about half an hour, so I don't really have time to work on my essays right now. 1 is due in 7 days, the other in 9. Eep!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
1 of my essays is pretty much done. Just did a first edit, and it's a pretty clean piece already. Need to do proper referencing, and make sure it reads well with a 2nd edit, but otherwise it's done.

Phew! That's a load off my mind! This is the first time in, like, 10 years that I've had 2 essays to do at the same time. I was freaking out!

I have a headache right now, so the other essay can wait till after I've had a lie down. That one will probably need a lot more work than the first one... And it's due 2 days before the nearly-finished one... *sigh*

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Edited the second essay, and wound up adding 100 words. Some logical steps were missing (I think 2 steps in 1150 words of the first draft - 1250 now) which are kind of important in a philosophy essay, I guess... :tongue

It's not as bad as I thought, but I still need to work in some more quotes (the target word count is 1300, so I may wind up a little over, instead of a little under) - from different sources. The lecturer said he expects us to read a few different sources for our essays, which I forgot to do before writing the first draft.

Hopefully the new sources don't contradict what I'm arguing!

But yay - both essays are nearing completion! Woo! :D

TNK

Registered
Reaction score
I just posted the revised version of chapter one in the SYW forum. :scared:

Now I get to work on chapter two, and wait. The waiting is the sucky part. :tongue

FoamyRules

Hamtaro Rules
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thetigerseye.valentchamber.com
You're welcome.

Of course it's worth a shot :) Nothing wrong with subbing without an agent, trying to get an agent, going the indie route, or self pubbing.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
E-pubs? Not that I know of. I write romance and romance sub-plots, so I haven't researched heavily into fantasy providers.

Yeah. Most of the publishers that I know about take/want Romance. Mostly because I only really wrote Romance before I went on this Urban Fantasy thing.

I'm really thinking of trying to find a way to write in both genres. That way I won't get bored of either one, if that makes sense.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
There's nothing to stop you from writing in multiple genres.

Personally, I've been inspired by a story I heard years ago, about a man (a reasonably long time ago, I think...) who had had books published in every single genre. He was the only person to have ever done that. So sometimes I toy with the idea of being the 2nd person to do that. :tongue

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
Tried to Google the guy, Cliff... It decided to ask me if I was looking for "man who published a book in English."

Uh, yeah. That's the guy. The one with the face and hair.

:tongue

On another note, I've kind of lucked out. My only statistics homework for the week so far is to write a single sentence. :tongue It's probably one of the ugliest sentences I've written this year, but it's not really a bad assignment...

Trying to work on Spanish. So close to finishing! Six weeks and two school days left until graduation... :D

~Amber~

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
There's nothing to stop you from writing in multiple genres.

Personally, I've been inspired by a story I heard years ago, about a man (a reasonably long time ago, I think...) who had had books published in every single genre. He was the only person to have ever done that. So sometimes I toy with the idea of being the 2nd person to do that. :tongue

Yeah. The advice I'm commonly given on here is "write the story then find the genre". :tongue

FoamyRules

Hamtaro Rules
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thetigerseye.valentchamber.com
Well had work at 5 in the morning and didn't perform my best :p

Right now I'm setting up my tumblr, working on decorating my freelance web designing blog, and will work on a story later on tonight. School was okay, but still bleh.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Tried to Google the guy, Cliff... It decided to ask me if I was looking for "man who published a book in English."

Uh, yeah. That's the guy. The one with the face and hair.

:tongue

LOL. Yeah, that's him.

Okay, so I almost forgot to do it, but I have just done a reading assignment, due tomorrow morning. I've also printed out next week's reading assignment, so that I might actually get it done in advance or something.

Essays? No progress today. I still have time.

Going to take a novel with me to Uni tomorrow, so I can read on the bus and in between classes. I should've been doing that all week, but I kept forgetting.