The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Volume 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
I love mead... *drool*

I have tasked Caleb with figuring out how to make a mango mead.

Also, up at my blog is the playlist I had when writing Second Olympus. Never put anything out there like that before, so if you happen to be frisky, listen to it and let me know what you think.

Fuchsia Groan

Becoming a laptop-human hybrid
Registered
Reaction score
We're really snowed in, with no mobility. Couldn't even get the doors open because of 12 to 14 inches of snow. Put my full body weight into the side door and managed a crack to get out. Brother-in-law drove up the 45 degree incline to the main road to go to work, but slid right back down and almost landed in the creek!

Yikes, tri! I hope you have a snow blower or someone who wields a mean shovel. And plenty of canned goods. :)

Wedding plans and down payments, all so exciting!

That sounds like my idea of a wake, Lily. Bring on the beer and bad movies!

I spent yesterday processing my editorial notes while sitting in an outdoor hot tub above the frozen-solid Old Port of Montreal, the frigid wind whistling around me. It was an amazing spa with delicious food (and cocktails!), and I would never have gone if my sister hadn't convinced me. So, yay for sisters!

(I didn't have the guts to jump in the outdoor cold tub, but watched a couple people try. :) )

Then we saw some past contestants from "RuPaul's Drag Race" perform live. I've never watched the show, but they were pretty damn fabulous, and it was a cool crowd. I love Montreal... except for all the one-way streets.

Last edited:

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
You are so cute. :D

Hey, I'm only practical! Wine is a high priority item!

I love mead... *drool*

Also, up at my blog is the playlist I had when writing Second Olympus. Never put anything out there like that before, so if you happen to be frisky, listen to it and let me know what you think.

Ohhhh, mango mead! I can come over when this happens, right?!

Also, yay, playlists! I've been listening to the Pacific Rim and Interstellar soundtrack a lot during edits. Really like some of the Interstellar stuff for the quieter scenes.

I may be having a little too much fun expanding my supporting cast scenes and adding cracks into the MC's relationships, but hey, it's fun.

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love mead... *drool*

Ohhhh, mango mead! I can come over when this happens, right?!

I have not forgotten my mango mead task. Of all the meads I have made still my favorite is the habanero mead I made. It was super sweet, spicy, and citrusy... Get for cold nights... Also very high in the alcohol.

CalebJMalcom

And behold... A seed!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You know... There was a time tas and I were talking and she was having a writer slump. I told her to write a short story where I was a character... She said to me "I can't write you as a character. You aren't a believable character." I'm beginning to think this be true.

Last edited:

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, friends.

Day job has been nuts and I have been really trying to focus on my revision. But after a very productive weekend in the revision cave, I am poking my head out to say hello.

Dys -- you've been busy! Yay on the condo, and wedding plans proceeding. Good to see you happy and doing so well! How did the videoing you in class go?

Tas -- yay for bonuses, but boo on delays and annoyances.

Caleb -- hope you find a new venue you like even better.

Maryn -- hope you are continuing to enjoy your trip. :)

Lily -- glad the near miss accident was a miss.

~suki

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
So, this morning, a light started flashing on my car.

Fast forward a few hours, and I am now renting another car for three days while my transmission is rebuilt, for the sweet total of $2600.

I quit.

I'm turning in my adult card.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
{{{Tas}}}

Teacher Boy's car is also in the shop. Multiple issues plus the 100K mile tune-up. Total will be close to yours. Once again, Mr Lily and I did the math and it's still more cost-effective to fix the car instead of trading it in and leasing.

He can pay part, and we're paying the balance. I agree: This is not the best adulting day.

:gaah

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
My car is coming up on 180,000 miles, so it's a sheer miracle that it hasn't had transmission problems before this. (the mechanics were floored that this was still the original)

And as soon as my bonus comes in next week, I have the money covered. So the timing could have been worse.

It's just the principal of the thing, y'know?

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
The new transmission will come with a 3 year warranty. I only have to keep it running for 18 months.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, dear, I missed by my eyes with today's sunscreen, or sweated it off. Burn. It's just hot and dark pink, not blistered. Should be okay.

I can't get over how many of the locals, especially the retirees, have tanned to the point that they match my brown sandals and look about as soft and pretty as those sandals, too. It's really gross. However, it's also quite nice to not be comparing myself unfavorably to the other women on the beach. There was hardly anybody who didn't look awful in swimwear.

I did have one hilarious occurrence. I have this relatively new swimsuit which is hard to put on, and I literally spent fifteen minutes trying to get into it in a semi-dark changing room. I was sweaty, which made it hard, and it has these crisscross things that have to start out in the right place or you get it halfway up and it gets impossibly twisted. It's also possible to put your foot through the skirt part and miss the shorts underneath completely, which would have been quite a surprise for the other people on the beach when the breeze kicked up.

Mr. Maryn was talking to a woman, asking her to check on me, when I came out. It took that long! (And then the water was cold enough that I waded but did not swim.)

Maryn, leaving tomorrow

dystophil

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
What Lily said, Maryn. It's cold here, too. Glad you're having fun though. :)

Hugs about the car woes, Tas. Car repairs are the worst. Ugh. Fingers crossed for the clown car, Lily, though 5 years and 40,000 miles sounds pretty good. This reminds me, I really need to get my oil change done...meh.

Good luck braving the craziness of the day job and getting more revision time in, Suki. You can doooo eeet!

Speaking of revising, I really need to start dragging myself out of bed early again. Just haven't been able to make myself do it the last week, but these revisions really need to be done by the end of April, so I better get to that again.

ACT testing tomorrow and I'll be able to do NOTHING but stare at students for 4 hours. Torture. This would be so great if I could read on my iPad while patrolling the classroom with one of my least favorite colleagues who honestly called me "a smart little girl" today. Like I'm 10. I might be a third your age, but don't you dare belittle me. Ugh.

Anyway, more paperwork signed today. Allllll the paperwork. Property inspection scheduled for Thursday.

Also, I was finally able to actually book our park pavilion for the wedding, because their booking window finally opened. Yay!

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Monring all. I've tried to start this post like 4 times. Here goes trying to get it posted before I get interrupted again.

Tas -- hugs on the car and annoyances. Yes, it's good you are getting your bonus to help cover this, but it also stinks to get a bonus and then have this happen.

Lily -- boo on your car repairs for teacher boy, too. But fingers crossed for the clown car. AND yay for the lovely cover of Nun Too Soon up there!

Maryn -- despite the sunurn, sounce like a good trip. :)

Dys -- yay for wedding plans, and signing paperwork, and things going well. Sorry for the testing nonesense.

~suki

dystophil

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
It totally dumped a BUNCH of snow while we were doing ACT testing. Totally wasn't able to look out of the window until after...4 inches of snow later. Brrrrr.

Anyway, most boring teaching day of the year is over. Now I just need to survive my principal's observation of my class tomorrow. Busy week.

Trying to muster up some energy to edit some words.

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
Car guys called. The problem was exactly what they told me it was, the price was under the potential maximum they quoted me, and they might have it done tomorrow afternoon, so I can get rid of this gawdawful rental.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Nice, Tas!

Our car guy told us, when we dropped off the SUV for All The Work, that there might be an issue with the oil pressure. He's going to check that first, because if it is a problem, that's that. We trade in the SUV and gain car payments... again. Gah.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hesitate to tell you all the temperature here. But we're on the way back to winter, if that's any consolation. Yeah, I know, not enough!

Maryn

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
Well, got my car back this morning. I tell you, there was an immense sense of relief the moment I turned those rental keys in. Driving someone else's car makes me paranoid

Other than that, still doing the waiting game. Waiting on three different emails from three different people on three different issues. I hate this so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.