Old People Writing for Teens, IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
OMG I just read that as *your* mum was dead and I was like "Lisa why are you still posting? That's terrible" ... Thank goodness it is just your character:)

How is everyone doing? I just finished and loved TH3 RAV3N B0Y$ (M@gg!e Sti3fvat3r). Just, wow...I'm posting a review today or tomorrow on my blog.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Don't worry, my mum is well and truly alive.

To make the character's death worse, she was "newly" (if that's the right word) pregnant. D:

ETA: Going to bed. 'Night, guys. :)

Last edited:

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
So glad that I'm due at a good friend's place for Friday night knitting and a movie in about 15 minutes. I really need to get myself away from here for a bit.

JKRowley

Registered
Reaction score
Stiger, congrats on the new vehicle. We always buy used too, and not very often. I am lucky with vehicles, though, and know of many who got burned with buying someone else's junk.

Knitting and movies sounds fun for a Friday night. LOL.

I am chuckling over the confusion of character death and real mother's death.

Did killing that character feel good? I have been contemplating killing the owl. This was our family dinner conversation.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Yeah, a friend I made at Tuesday night Panera knitting group and I started getting together on Friday nights as well because we are just that awesome. Didn't get home til 1:00am, just a little bit ago. We watched "We Bought a Zoo", and I am now about 3/4 done with the first of a pair of fingerless mitts.

Adorable movie. Matt Damon is nummy as a sweet Daddy, and Scarlette Johanssen was lovely to look at, as always!

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
I'm around for now.........but we're having a Father's day party with my dad's family (my cousins, aunt and uncle, my parents) today so this will be my only post.

I *think* a found a 3rd pair of eyes- a college friend :D She can read for me at the beginning of July. *crosses fingers*

*secretly high fives Dorothy*

Also Justbishop- I love that you have a Panera knitting group. :) (I love Panera period) What are you knitting? And I loooooooved 'We Bought a Zoo"!

ETA: If anyone likes Magg!3 St!3fvat3r...I just reviewed her lastest book (coming out in Sept) here!

Last edited:

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
smiley, glad you found someone! I finished one beta project and now I'm on to the next (though it's only 7 chapters), and then i'm beta reading 5 chapters from that Andy Whitfield fundraiser auction thing. But if it goes quickly, I may still be able to read for you if it's not too late.

ETA: Born in Jersey, Yo! Lived most of my life in NY but was born in Englewood :D

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
@Melly - Thanks. I also wanted to add (re: my book review), that the pacing seemed to only bother me. I have a few friends who read it and said they were hooked by page 1. :Shrug:

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
@Melly - Thanks. I also wanted to add (re: my book review), that the pacing seemed to only bother me. I have a few friends who read it and said they were hooked by page 1. :Shrug:

hmmm...well, i guess i'll wait for more reviews to decide where on my list it will go but i have about 100 books on my list, so...

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
But then again if you've read SHIVER and/or SCORPIO, you know M@ggie's pacing... And 100 to-read books? I narrowed mine down to I think about 80 :D (from originally like 120ish)

mellymel

Registered
Reaction score
That is actually a gross underestimate. It's probably like 150 :( I'm a slow reader unless I find something that sucks me completely in. I'm reading Maze Runner now, but I've been reading it for weeks. I'm completely sucked in, but I'm so busy beta reading and trying to finish my own novel that I usually read it when I get into bed aroudn 11:30/12 and by then I'm ZONKED and end up passing out. Next I'm readying City of Lost Souls and I expect to be thoroughly addicted to it since TMI is my favorite series ever. I'm also waiting for a copy of Masque of the Red Death to come in a contest I won so that is high on my list and OMG I own about 40 books that I need to read. sigh.

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Smiley - I'm working on slouchy hat and fingerless mitt sets for my sisters-in-law for Xmas. Ive finished hat #1, and got through a good portion of the first mitt for that set. I think I'm going to get an entire set out of one skein each!

Soooooooo sleepy this morning. Stayed up til about 3am last night, and I'm up way too early for having stayed up so late.

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
Smiley - I'm working on slouchy hat and fingerless mitt sets for my sisters-in-law for Xmas. Ive finished hat #1, and got through a good portion of the first mitt for that set. I think I'm going to get an entire set out of one skein each!.

SO COOL! :cool::hooray:

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
Nope. I am not a hands-on person at all. Can't knit, can't sew, can't crochet, can't play a musical instrument......... I always say I'm the Bella Swan of those activities

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
How do you buckle in a cat? I know they make seat belt conversion things for dogs, but a cat? We put ours in carriers and the dog lays in the seat. Maybe we could wrap the seat belt around the carrier, but I don't think it would do much good.
Wrap it around the carrier, yeah. Or go through the handle if there's not enough room to go around the carrier.

Dorothy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dorothydreyer.wordpress.com
I love hand crafts. Unfortunately, I haven't had time to do any in a while. My family is probably secretly cheering about that, not having to endure another one of Mom's scarves, lol. But there's a cool cross-stitch oriental fan wall hanging I'm not done with that I'd like to finish one day. But deadlines trump blank wall space, so, oh well.

Just finished completely re-doing a chapter as part of my edits. It's so different now, but so much better and the MC's LI is much more three-dimensional. :)

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Nope. I am not a hands-on person at all. Can't knit, can't sew, can't crochet, can't play a musical instrument......... I always say I'm the Bella Swan of those activities

Meh, I'm a bit of a Jack of all trades, master of none. I crochet, knit, play guitar, and can do other sundry artistic things like dye yarn and ghetto screenprint, but I'm not great at any of it, by any means.

Another beta from round 2 sent notes back today, so I'm getting there as far as the road to revision goes. Still probably going to concentrate on my synopsis tonight, though. These latest betas don't really seem to be finding any major issues with the MS, so that's good :)

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I do a bit of cross stitch.

Trying to figure our what would happen to the baby in my world if a pregnant woman was turned into a vampire. I'm trying to find myths but Google is not helping!

Status
Not open for further replies.